Jeep Wrangler Forum - Reply to Topic
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum > Its dead, its not dead...its dead, its not dead!!!

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Thread: Its dead, its not dead...its dead, its not dead!!! Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-15-2010 01:16 PM
chrisb0108 Ended up having the problem again. Replaced a bad battery and still had problem. A new starter fixed it!!!
08-29-2010 07:03 PM
chrisb0108 Seems to even crank up without as much effort now that I cleaned them. I swear I did this at the most 2-3 months ago. It will definitely be something I do regularly now. Thanks for the responses

If I have the problem again I'll take the battery and get it checked and then just go from there.
08-29-2010 06:11 PM
baja Every couple months I clean my posts and connectors.I am still running the original battery-yes,a 9 yr old battery.Keeping them clean is the key.
08-29-2010 06:02 PM
rrich Anytime a post, terminal, cable, splice, or electrical connection gets hot it indicates it has high resistance that should not be there. Clean, replace or repair the connection and things start working again.
-- Electricity 101, Physics 101, Common Sense 101.

Amazing how so many never took those classes.
08-29-2010 05:12 PM
Tackelbarry I had the exact same symptoms last week. I talked to a ASE certified mechanic friend and he told me that when your battery is dead or going dead it will play havic on the system. Basically, this system responds through the computer and not the alternator. I installed a new battery and everything is back to normal. Hope this helps.
08-29-2010 05:12 PM
rrich The fact that the battery post was hot was a huge tip-off that that connection is bad. Clean it!
If it still does it, the terminal connection inside the battery might be bad - especially if it's a side terminal type.
08-29-2010 04:30 PM
chrisb0108 I definitely appreciate it and I'll be back with an update after I've taken the recommended actions.
08-29-2010 04:06 PM
Jerry Bransford Remove the battery connectors. Wire brush and clean the battery posts and connectors thoroughly and then firmly reconnect them.

99% of such problems are caused by bad battery connections. If cleaning your battery connections doesn't help, remove your battery and have a shop do a "load test" on it which will provide the battery's true condition.

NO, just looking at the battery connections and assuming they are ok doesn't count. My Toyota's battery connections looked just fine when I had the same condition recently but cleaning then and then securely tightening them back on to the posts completely cured the problem. Looking at the battery connections isn't good enough, they can look good but still cause problems.

And there's a 99.9999% chance this problem is not caused by your alternator or starter.
08-29-2010 04:05 PM
Fweaky My starter went bad a while back and had some of those symptoms could be that and its easy to pull off and check if you don't see anything else thats obvious.
08-29-2010 03:53 PM
bobjenkins I just had an alternator go bad on me, and the voltmeter was all the way down , all the time. Once it was dead. it was dead, to me doesnt sound like an alternator, but... I would try to get down to a different autozone
08-29-2010 03:49 PM
chrisb0108
Its dead, its not dead...its dead, its not dead!!!

Lately when I get in my Jeep and start to crank it sometimes it has a really bad lag...almost like the battery is dying. Sometimes it is so bad that I have to turn the key off and wait a second and try again and it will crank. Left work a few minutes ago on my lunch break, got in the Jeep and smelled something that I thought to be an electric smell after is was cranked for a minute. Check engine light came on and the battery voltage gauge maxed out!!! Drove a couple miles & stopped to get gas, got back in and turned the key on and NOTHING....no gauges, radio, lights, nothing. Turn the key off and back on and not even a faded, barely-on gauge light. Opened the hood and the positive terminal on my battery was significantly hotter to the touch than the negative. Was about to make a call and decided to turn the key over again one last time and of course it fired right up, no maxed out voltage gauge & no check engine light anymore either. Stopped by autozone and their scanner was stolen so I wasn't able to get a scan(even though the cel was off). A buddy says he's heard when the battery voltage meter pegs out like that that it means my alternator could be going bad. Can anyone give some advice here please?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC