Topic Review (Newest First)
|02-22-2011 10:40 AM
RE: Mechanical Problems
Congragulations on the New Jeep. I would recommend changing the fluids when you purchase any used vehicle since you can't be sure the service history.
As far as the other issues:
This should give you a good idea of whats involved and whether you want to tackle the job your self or if you need to start saving money for a trip to the shop. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
- valve gasket leak: This is a minor repair compared to the others mentioned. Remove Valve cover pan and remove old gasket material and replace with new gasket replace pan cover and about a 1/4 turn passed snug should be good, so you don't squirt the gasket out and have any leaks.
- rear main seal leak: Need more info on this one, Rear main on engine requires dropping the belly pan, removing the transfer case and transmission to access the seal, if the transmission rear main seal then the first two steps will get you access to the seal.
- broken bolt on the exhaust manifold: This one can be a bit tricky for a novice mechanic. Search the forums for a write up on this, if it sounds beyond you comfort area. Then I would suggest have a good shop do it. Any mechanic shop should be able to do this repair. Specialist is not required.
|12-28-2010 06:31 PM
I bought my 95 wrangler in May, it was used as a vacation vehicle towed behind an RV by an older couple. It has 110,000 miles.
1) Should I worry about changing all the fluids since most of it's miles are towed?
2) I think it has a minor rear main seal leak, is this something that a novice mechanic can fix himself? Also I have been told it has a valve gasket leak (I couldnt tell) is this also something I can fix.
3) It has a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold causing an exhaust leak, which is causing my O2 sensor to make my check engine light come on. I had a mechanic put it on the computer and that is the error codes he got.
Is this something I (novice mechanic) can fix myself? or is it best to take to a professional and pay the high dollar amout to fix it?
This is my first Jeep, I love it and want to make some upgrades, but I need to get these mechanical issues fixed first.
Any advise you can provide is greatly appreciated.
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.
Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC