Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2011 Unlimited 3 piece hard top leak? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2011-unlimited-3-piece-hard-top-leak-100004.html)

NicyBeezy 06-26-2011 11:25 PM

2011 Unlimited 3 piece hard top leak?

Ok so about a week and a half ago I got a 2011 Unlimited Sahara with the 3 piece hard top. Haven't had any rain yet cause it's rare in summer here but in spring and fall is storms like crazy. Is there any leaking I can expect? Would like to have it taken care of before I get caught with a downpour on my head. Thanks

tysalem 06-27-2011 12:08 AM

There are a select few people who have issues with the hard top leaking. When I had my hard top, it never leaked so I can't give you much more advise.
Maybe take it through a car wash or wash it yourself and see if it leaks at all. If it does, then take it to the dealership and have them try to fix it.

There are many threads on this topic and you should be able to find them by either doing a google search, or using the search function on this forum.

jjca 07-08-2011 06:41 PM

We have had significant leaks in our 2011. Ours doesn't normally leak from above - the floors get wet from leaking underneath the doors. We know several people who have them and only 2 of the 6 have had any leaks... one of the service guys told me that they are terrible when it comes to leaking. I honestly hope you don't have any leaks because it has been a nightmare!
Good luck!!!!

David M 07-08-2011 11:52 PM

My local dealership recently replaced the door seals on my wife's 2011 Tan Sahara Unlimited hardtop, because she would have a couple of inches of water in her passenger floorboard after a good rain. You could see it dripping in at the forward bottom of the door, but I could never pinpoint the exact point of entry. I'm certain that it wasn't because the tops weren't put on correctly.

So, to dry it, I pulled the carpet and the two front floor drain plugs. You have to do this because the new so called sound deadening mat, along with the cheese-whiz like substance that Jeep sprays on, will hold water like a diaper, you can't just vacuum it all out. I believe this leak problem is much more prevalent than is reported on the forums. I live in a fairly small town, and ours is the 4th Wrangler they've replaced the door seals on, just lately. It took three weeks just to get the part, because it was on back-order.

I ask our serviceman, why is it just now leaking after five months of ownership?, why didn't it leak from the get go? His response was, he believes that the rubber seal used utilizes too soft of a rubber compound, and that with several months time of the door being shut tight with little use, such as a passenger door, it compresses and indents the rubber surround in certain, possibly tighter spots, to the point that it no longer has the ability to rebound and apply adequate pressure to make a tight seal. That's just his opinion, but it sounds plausible. You'd think that it'd be just the opposite, and loose compression with a compound that's too hard, I don't know.

I compared the old seal with the new one before it was installed, and I couldn't tell any difference between the two at all, although I was told that the new one had been revised, so maybe the rubber compound theory holds water....bad pun! Anyway, long story longer, so far so good with the new seal. Time will tell.

desertgoose 07-09-2011 12:41 AM

My fix idea

I wonder if it's something about the seals having some thin spots or losing some of their elasticity.(possibly could use a better more rubberized material that has better memory) I haven't had a leak yet that wasn't a cooler or drink spilling, but I have an idea you are welcome to try. Mind you I haven't done it or attempted but it works in my head.

Diagnosis: When the seals are dry and parked in garage coat the seals with some chalk powder. baby powder or possibly baking flour. Close the door that it seems to be leaking from. Get out the other door so you don't get all the powder wet. Then drive into rain or under garden hose. Pull Jeep back in garage if raining or leave in sun to dry off before opening the door. Maybe a blow dryer would help it dry faster? After it dries slowly open door and you should see on/through the powder where the water is running in. Will theoretically work for the hard top panels also.

The difficult part, the fix: I haven't posted my idea yet because I'm working on an idea still. You obviously need to reinforce the seal in the spot where it's leaking. I've thought about cutting a slit and sliding a soft tube inside the seal and using glue to seal the slit. Also contemplated a more temporary fix of wedging a piece of foam or sponge between seal and door frame but doesn't seem to be space for that. Still thinking of more ideas....

Ideally the dealer warranties the job and gets it right the first time if you come to them with the leaky spot identified and marked. Who knows, it may be the door just needing aligned better?:crash2:

jjca 07-09-2011 07:01 AM

We've had every seal replaced - twice! First they replaced the seals on the passenger side, then they replaced the 2 front pieces of the freedom top, and then replaced the entire top... Still leaked. They replaced the muck(?) seals and added some tar like sealer where they thought it was coming in. Still leaking - & now the sealer is preventing me from pulling back the carpet to help it dry faster.
Every time it rains I have anxiety about where I'll find water & how long it's going to take to dry out... It only takes a few days over the summer - but in the winter - forget about it... at this rate it will be wet until next Spring!
I hate dealing with Chrysler - they are rude and never call us back. As soon as they had our money they gave up on us :(

David M 07-10-2011 02:02 AM

That's a good idea desertgoose. If the Jeep springs another leak with the new seals, I will try that powder/water trick and let you know how it works out. If they haven't indeed improved the door seals yet, hopefully the 2012's will come with an automatic bilge pump. ;)

I get a sinking feeling when I think of what might be happening now, if Chrysler were still in the boat business. :eek:

Firewire 07-12-2011 05:17 PM

Week and a half of ownership. First rain came today and both front doors leak in different spots.

desertgoose 07-12-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firewire (Post 1374128)
Week and a half of ownership. First rain came today and both front doors leak in different spots.

Sorry to hear that. Guess I'm lucky that either mine doesn't leak, we don't get much rain here, or haven't noticed because I'm always soaked and drip all over when it does rain. Only time will tell. Pointless post, I know. Working on post count...

Firewire 07-12-2011 09:04 PM

I am thinking of just trying to find the best automotive quality foam I can and fix it myself.

desertgoose 07-13-2011 01:35 AM

Anyone trace exactly where the leaks are starting? Is it in the along the length of the foam seal, or at the rubberized corners?

Dgdds91 07-13-2011 05:17 AM

My 2011 sahara unlimited leaked when I just went to look at it at the dealer! Same spot (under the front passenger door). The dealer made up a crazy story that the car was washed with the window open and that I need not worry. That was a big lie! I picked up the car and the first rain came and so did the water leaking in! I hounded the dealer to get it fixed and finally( for now) after the 4 th time replacing the door seal, the leak has stopped! I just hope that the seal works when I go back to my hardtop for the winter. I don't understand why Chrysler would not be making a leak fix top priority for their customers. I did get a lot of help from a Chrysler rep that I was assigned to when I called the complaint center. She was very helpful in getting the dealer to work on my car faster and helpful in getting my skid plate that I was missing, and travel link that was missing. Even with all of the help from her, I still feel the Jeep should have been right from the day of delivery. When you pay almost 40grand for a vehicle, it should be right! Sorry for the vent

kjeeper10 07-13-2011 05:33 AM

I would be pissed :(

My new to me 07 does not leak. First thing I did was bring it through the wash. I've read a lot about the freedom top leaking so, had to check for myself.

mrMangoTango 07-13-2011 07:27 AM

I have the same problem, and im going about getting a buy back through the dealership i purchased it at. For a new jeep of course. If you want them to buy it back just tell them youre going to get a lawyer and pursue the lemon law.. that is once it has been "fixed" and the problem not resolved.
I talked to the guy who was trying to fix it and he said that they have had many jeeps with this problem and dont know how to fix it. also as stated in another thread most 2011 JKs dont have the skid plates that you paid for, so next time you go to your dealer make sure you get them installed.

demarpaint 07-13-2011 08:04 AM

Getting a replacement vehicle under the lemon law for a water leak from rain is going to be on tough fight. Good luck! Keep us posted.

I was hoping Jeep would resolve this, a leak would drive me nuts. Are their any DYI repairs that are effective for people who don't remove the hard top?

desertgoose 07-13-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdds91 (Post 1375461)
My 2011 sahara unlimited leaked when I just went to look at it at the dealer! Same spot (under the front passenger door).

There is a lip at the bottom of the door. I can't imagine a leak coming from the bottom of the door and traveling up over the sill to get in. That defies the laws of physics unless you are fording a river? Did anybody ever find out where your leak originated? The water likely got through the seal above the window or at the top corner and ran down the door frame to get to the bottom of the door.

I remember one instance of someone saying their leak was between hardtop and windshield and fixed it by being more careful re-installing the panel. But more often then not I'm hearing that it's coming from the bottom of the door.:confused: That may be where it is seen entering the cabin but that's irrelevent as you(they) need to fix where the water breaks the seal. If they just keep replacing seal after seal until they get lucky it is wasting everyones time.

I'm just trying to help, if everyone's seals are failing at the same place then it is easier to contact Chrysler, give them the data and get a fix so they can send out a bulletin and get these things fixed right the first time. This could also generate a better design so there are no more leaky Jeeps being made going forward.

Rhianon 07-13-2011 09:29 PM

I have a 2011, it rained the night i bought it and when I woke up the passenger floor was soaked. I've had it in 3 times now in just 2 months. I have contacted Chrysler and I actually have a case manager who contacts me before and after each service. The last time I spoke with the service manager at the dealership and he tried to tell me that the leak is going down the outside of the door, in underneath the door and traveling up over the sill to get in. I asked him 3 times if he was trying to tell me rain can travel this way and he insisted that it could. R U SERIOUS!? Anyways the dealership said that they had received special service instructions on exactly how they want these leaks to be fixed because it is such a common problem. It's like a recall but they are only fixing the ones that leak. My boyfriend believes it leaks the way you suggested at the top corner and down inside the door but we will see. It has not rained yet. Has anyone gotten a new Jeep with the Lemon law on these?

Swaggy 07-22-2011 10:53 AM

I have my 2001 Sport Wrangler for 6 weeks now...and every time it rains (In Belgium this summer almost every day) water is leaking in under the passenger door....

I hate this shit... paid al lot of money for my American dream...

Swaggy

Dgdds91 07-22-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose

There is a lip at the bottom of the door. I can't imagine a leak coming from the bottom of the door and traveling up over the sill to get in. That defies the laws of physics unless you are fording a river? Did anybody ever find out where your leak originated? The water likely got through the seal above the window or at the top corner and ran down the door frame to get to the bottom of the door.

I remember one instance of someone saying their leak was between hardtop and windshield and fixed it by being more careful re-installing the panel. But more often then not I'm hearing that it's coming from the bottom of the door.:confused: That may be where it is seen entering the cabin but that's irrelevent as you(they) need to fix where the water breaks the seal. If they just keep replacing seal after seal until they get lucky it is wasting everyones time.

I'm just trying to help, if everyone's seals are failing at the same place then it is easier to contact Chrysler, give them the data and get a fix so they can send out a bulletin and get these things fixed right the first time. This could also generate a better design so there are no more leaky Jeeps being made going forward.

I know this is hard to believe, but I actually sat in my jeep while it was raining to determine where the water was coming in. And to my surprise it was coming in under the passenger door over the sill plate! Now I can't tell you if it is coming from the top of the door, the soft top, the hard top or the windshield, but the water was coming in over the sill plate and running into the footwell and soaking the carpet. After 3 tries they replaced the entire door seal and now it does not leak! What can I tell you?

Stallion289TX 07-22-2011 02:41 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences (had I not read them, I would most likely blame my son when I find water on the carpet). I will watch how my new Rubicon handles rain.

tangofoxtrot 07-22-2011 04:22 PM

My 2008 JK leaked like crazy. My 2010 JK Unlimited has never had a leak. Think I am just lucky.

rodgris 07-22-2011 05:33 PM

could someone tell me what skid plates people are refering to ...exactly...that are missing....can you see it from the front or do you have to get down to look under to see it..thanks

jz68 07-22-2011 05:45 PM

I don't care what excuses anybody makes, the fact that Wranglers are so prone to leaks is piss poor design and nothing else. Convertible cars don't have these kinds of issues so lets stop saying it's because it sooooooo hard to keep leaks out when you have a removable top or panels. If engineers can design a retractable hardtop, they can certainly come up with a way to keep a couple "freedom panels" from leaking. Freedom from what, keeping dry?

Mykll 07-22-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz68 (Post 1400902)
I don't care what excuses anybody makes, the fact that Wranglers are so prone to leaks is piss poor design and nothing else. Convertible cars don't have these kinds of issues so lets stop saying it's because it sooooooo hard to keep leaks out when you have a removable top or panels. If engineers can design a retractable hardtop, they can certainly come up with a way to keep a couple "freedom panels" from leaking. Freedom from what, keeping dry?

:thumb:

Looks like the 42 day forecast is the same. Hot, dry, chance of wildfires. I'd like to think the new Jeep would just work right, and I won't have to tell my nephew to hose down my Jeep while I sit inside looking for leaks.

Swaggy 08-01-2011 02:20 AM

I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow...I hope he can/will fix the leak... Should all this water have done some dammage to my floor? Should I ask to replace the carpets? ...and still raining in Belgium...!!!

jjca 08-03-2011 09:34 AM

How did it go? Any luck?

teach95 08-03-2011 10:17 AM

sorry to hear that guys--I test drove my 3 piece hard top wrangler sport during a monsoon type rain storm--purely accidental of course, but it was good as I was impressed by the how it handled and of course there were no leaks.

Some other poster commented about using 303 protectant on the seals, and after doing so they had no problems. I'm doing that today to be on the safe side!

Swaggy 08-04-2011 03:41 AM

Ok, got my Wrangler back from the dealer. They dried out my carpets. They ordered new rubbers and said Chrysler already knew about the problems with leaking water under the doors. Only problem... It could take up to 3 or more weeks to get the new rubbers...
Yesterday evening...it was raining...wet feet again...

teach95 08-04-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggy (Post 1437590)
Ok, got my Wrangler back from the dealer. They dried out my carpets. They ordered new rubbers and said Chrysler already knew about the problems with leaking water under the doors. Only problem... It could take up to 3 or more weeks to get the new rubbers...
Yesterday evening...it was raining...wet feet again...

this is why I have always thought Jeep should break off from Chrysler--if they knew at corporate, then fix it! Jeep people are going to buy Jeeps--we are loyal! So be honest and up front and fix the problem.

At least though you are getting the new rubbers which should solve everything!

jk'n 08-04-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarpaint (Post 1375634)
Getting a replacement vehicle under the lemon law for a water leak from rain is going to be on tough fight. Good luck! Keep us posted.

I was hoping Jeep would resolve this, a leak would drive me nuts. Are their any DYI repairs that are effective for people who don't remove the hard top?

I got a replacement vehicle from Chrysler for a leaking top. It is not impossible. There are certain conditions that must be met that are spelled out in your state's lemon law. And for those non-believers out there, when you spend upwards of 30+ thousand on a vehicle, it is not outrageous to expect that it will keep water out when delivered, new. It is one of the major functions of a modern vehicle, to keep the interior dry during a rain storm. As the vehicle ages, all bets are off...after all, it is a jeep.