Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Miller Jeep Trail 7/9-7/10 Camping (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/miller-jeep-trail-7-9-7-10-camping-100639.html)

BeantownR6 07-01-2011 09:06 AM

Miller Jeep Trail 7/9-7/10 Camping

so SixGunMatt and I are thinking of doing miller jeep trail sat 7/9 and camping overnight. let me know if you would like to go.

Rebuilt is your jeep ready this time??

Miller Jeep Trail is rated difficult, but is really moderate for a Jeep. For this trail run, everyone's Jeep needs to have tow points both front and rear. A CB radio is also highly recommended to be able to communicate with the group on the trail. Please bring a bundle of firewood, plenty of water (I recommend at least a gallon per person per day), provisions and food for overnight camping, and a party attitude!

So here's the plan, I think we should get a later start with the long days and last time we went we blasted through the trail pretty quick and eneded up at camp early.

Saturday 7/9/11
Pack a lunch to eat on the trail.

10:00am Gas up and meet at Flying J's
42810 Frazier Mountain Rd
Lebec, CA 93243
661-248-2505

10:30am go to Big Johns Mountain Grill for breakfast
3121 Mount Pinos Way
Frazier Park, CA 93225

12:00 noon We should reach the trailhead about this time.
N34 45.578 W119 02.987

12:15 am Air down and disconnect at the Staging area.
N34 44.059 W119 02.364

We'll immediately hit the first obstacle, called the Gate Keeper, which is pretty representative what's more to come, hence its name. If you can't get past the Gate Keeper, you shouldn't be on the trail. (Don't let that statement scare you. Everyone should be fine.)

Break for lunch along the trail at Sunset Camp
N34 41.998 W119 00.023

4:00pm Arrive at the end of the trail at the campgrounds in the moutains - (I think we need a camping permit) Or drive out to Hungary Valley and hop on the 5 home. Its about 30-45 minutes from the trail end.

Sunday

We'll have breakfast then break camp, play around on the obstacle courses in 4WD Practice Area at Hungry Valley, maybe hit short trail or two at Hungry Valley if anybody still hasn't gotten enough wheeling by then, then air up and head home.

Rebuilt 07-01-2011 03:32 PM

I'm in if i can get my rear drive shaft replaced, broke on me on the street

Rebuilt 07-03-2011 04:36 PM

I'm all good!!! jeep running nice and smooth :D!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xjman1 07-04-2011 12:43 AM

I wanna go, I wanna go but back to NY for me. :(

BeantownR6 07-04-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebuilt (Post 1350334)
I'm all good!!! jeep running nice and smooth :D!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice!!! :punk:

Rebuilt 07-04-2011 03:36 PM

Let's take the trail slow for some good filming too!

BeantownR6 07-05-2011 08:33 AM

we can try. last time there was lots of traffic behind us we didn't want to hold them up

yomondo 07-05-2011 09:01 AM

Unfortunately I'm on-call this weekend. Can't make this one.

Six Gun Matt 07-05-2011 10:38 AM

Well obviously Janice and I are there! Hopefully we get a couple more to go.

BeantownR6 07-05-2011 01:49 PM

1. Beantown
2. Rebuilt
3. Six Gun Matt

are you guys good with the times, want to start earlier or go with whats planned? the trail can take 3 hours or so depending upon pictures, filiming, traffic

Rebuilt 07-05-2011 06:21 PM

im good with the time

Xjman1 07-05-2011 08:50 PM

You guys ever camp at Sunset? It sure is nice with the creek right there as well as shade trees and sand. Might even see the local bear.

BeantownR6 07-05-2011 09:23 PM

ive wanted to camp at sunset but haven't yet

Rebuilt 07-06-2011 05:10 AM

You know im in for anything

Six Gun Matt 07-06-2011 03:47 PM

Times look good for me, and we are way flexible on where we camp. We should minimize what we all bring, because we don't all need a camping stove, right? We are going to try and pack extremely lite for this trip.

BeantownR6 07-06-2011 03:55 PM

well sunset camp is on the trail, toward the last 1/3, and this is the best part of the trail. the camp is along a stream and a nice area.

i think it would be cool to camp at sunset camp, but there is no toilet like at the top at dutchman camp.

i see 3 options

1) run the whole trail and camp at the top
2) run the whole trail, turn around and go back to sunset camp. the only thing is running into oncoming traffic. last time we saw (3) modified new grand cherokees start the trail from the top at the end of the day, we didn't see anyone else come back down.
3) stop at sunst camp and camp overnight and complete the trail in the morning.

I will bring my stove, propane tank and tripod grill to set over the fire. I will also pick up a big tripit if you guys want to bring something else to split, since there are not too many of us.

Six Gun Matt 07-06-2011 04:56 PM

Well my vote is to camp where the toilets are, Janice would probably appreciate it, but we also have no problems out in the woods. So if sunset is really awesome, maybe we go for it. Are camp fires allowed at Sunset this time of year?

Janice and I could bring another tri tip too, if there is going to be 5 of us. Two is probably enough at that point. Or we can bring some carne asada with the fixings for tacos. We can also bring some bell peppers to grill and some potato or pasta salad. How does that sound?

Now I am getting hungry!

BeantownR6 07-06-2011 09:11 PM

tri tip and carne asada sounds good.

im going to plan on breakfast too if you want to plan on that also.

2DEUCE2 07-07-2011 02:26 AM

Man, I wish I didn't already have plans for this weekend. I have done the Miller Jeep Trail the past two weekends in a row and I absolutely love it! (Been getting practice with the old man so I don't hold all of you guys up in BB and Nightmare Gulch this summer). Sunset camp is awesome, I can't wait for the chance to plop down there for the night. Dutchman Camp was really crowded on Sunday, probably because of 4th of July and all. It has been VERY hot and VERY dusty and dry so bring yourselves plenty of water.

Have fun you lucky bastages!

BeantownR6 07-07-2011 11:12 AM

hey guys we all should have an adventure pass to camp, this time im going to get one, and a camp fire permit but only one of us needs that.

matt/rebuilt do you guys have a campfire permit? if not we will have to stop by the ranger station before.

yomondo 07-07-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownR6 (Post 1359646)
matt/rebuilt do you guys have a campfire permit? if not we will have to stop by the ranger station before.

I always get my campfire permit by fax from here. Saves me from having to stop at a ranger station. They're free, and good for one calendar year, expiring on 12/31. I usually get mine the first week of January every year. Like Beantown said, it's only required that one person per group have one.

yomondo 07-07-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1353342)
Unfortunately I'm on-call this weekend. Can't make this one.

I'm still on-call this weekend, but I'm so itching to get out that I just might take the chance that there will be no call, and join y'all for a day run. Don't know for sure yet though.

530ktm 07-07-2011 11:48 AM

Been watching this thread and I had hoped to be able to make it but not this time in the Jeep. I am going to be up there on Saturday with a group on our dirt bikes from another forum so maybe I may see you all on the trails somewhere. Have a good trip and hope to see you all at Big Bear on the 30th.

Six Gun Matt 07-07-2011 04:07 PM

Alright we will bring carne asada and fixings for tacos. As for breakfast, we are just going to keep it simple.

Can you get the campfire permit Brad? I am out of the office today and tomorrow and don't have access to a fax.

We have an adventure pass for the national forest, do we need a different one for state parks?

Looking forward to this!

yomondo 07-07-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 1360481)
We have an adventure pass for the national forest, do we need a different one for state parks?

MJT is in the Los Padres NF, so you're good with your SoCal NF Adventure Pass. No need for any state park pass. If you hang around and play at Hungry Valley though, instead of just pass through on the way out, you'll need to pay $5 at the gate as you exit Hungry Valley.

BeantownR6 07-07-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six Gun Matt (Post 1360481)
Alright we will bring carne asada and fixings for tacos. As for breakfast, we are just going to keep it simple.

Can you get the campfire permit Brad? I am out of the office today and tomorrow and don't have access to a fax.

Looking forward to this!

i don't think my fax works.....

i looked up the my pinos ranger station, its on lockwood valley road on the way to the trail. we can stop in i guess and get one

i will get my adventure pass ther also

2DEUCE2 07-08-2011 07:49 AM

Well, now my buddy from Boston came out and screwed up my original weekend plans so I can make it on this run if you guys don't mind. It will just be me, my friend is leaving Saturday morning early.

BeantownR6 07-08-2011 08:27 AM

yeah your welcome to join us, let me know if you want to caravan up im right next door to ya

KRawson 07-08-2011 08:44 AM

Wish I could make it out guys, gotta pass on this one.

Drive safe. Ill see you guys in Big Bear.
Are you going to run the trail the same way we did last time?

yomondo 07-08-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1359739)
I'm still on-call this weekend, but I'm so itching to get out that I just might take the chance that there will be no call, and join y'all for a day run. Don't know for sure yet though.

I'm in for a day run. I'll see y'all at Flying J's at 10am tomorrow. :dance:

(You'll have to make do without the party table this time though.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRawson (Post 1362187)
Are you going to run the trail the same way we did last time?

Sounds like it, from the itinerary on the first post.