Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   New owner With questions about 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport Stock! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/new-owner-with-questions-about-2011-jeep-wrangler-sport-stock-100840.html)

jeep2011mass 07-02-2011 10:44 PM

New owner With questions about 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport Stock!
 
I am new to the whole jeep community, however in the 1300 miles I have driven a jeep I LOVE IT !!! Top down, tunes on and warm sun beating down... Its a ball!! Why did I wait so long to get a wrangler... I have wanted one for 20 years and now I have one... I am learning it is nothing like any other car/SUV I have ever driven and I mean different... In a small way it was like learning to drive again. There are so many things about my jeep that I am not sure if they are normal characteristics or there could be something loose. So I thought that I would start here and ask some questions and I hope that there are some nice people out there that can answers my questions. I would ask some of the 100 jeep drivers I see and waive to each day, but they are usually driving to fast to flag them down. LOL... The waiving thing is something I am getting used to fast. And when I waive and they don't I get a bit annoyed. I guess is par for the course. Some people are just not as excited about driving a jeep as I am. Oh well!
Now here are my questions.
Are all Jeep Wrangler in all models very rigid? I know that the Jeeps are an off road vehicle so does that mean that they are build for slower speeds? I find that I feel everything single bump, pebble and imperfection and more in the road in the vehicle and in the steering wheel. Even when I think that the road I am traveling is super smooth I can still feel little jolts and vibrations in the steering, is that normal? The roads where I live are just about the worst roads around. Every 5 feet there is a pot hole. I notice more when If I am driving over a series of bumps it feels the I am driving a 4 wheeler it bounces and the steering wheel feels super loose almost like I have no steering for a few seconds till the bumps ends. Being a brand spanking new jeep I would think that I would be able to at least get 10,000 miles without even noise from the suspension, however it bangs here and there. Is that due to its very tight/ rigid suspension ?? Is it a normal characteristic? When I am driving it sounds pretty normal, however anything above a moderate bump I will hear lots of suspension noise, is that due to the soft top and little to no dampening in the frame and passenger compartment??? Its not like the bumps are so bad I worry about it, it is more so the noises I here. If that makes sense? I just don't want to make several visits to the dealer to ask what's this noise I am sure there are other 1st time Jeep owners that felt the same way I do, that is why I am coming to the experts and to people that drive them everyday... I drive two kids around it here there and I just want to make sure that all is good for their safety.
My main question is what's normal and what's not ? When I take it off road am I going to notice a whole lot more of the above and worse? Can the jeep really hold up on the trails when its stock? Also with a soft top am I going to freeze in the winter ? Is it safe to just open the Sun rider Top and drive on the highway? I knew what I was getting into when I bought the Jeep and I don't want to sound stupid, just hope there is people out there that have questions like I have. I just want to be clear on everything.
I also have 2011 Ford Explorer Limited and If I drive that for a day or so It messes me all up... Driving that is like diving a Cadillac and then when I drive the Jeep I need to get used to it again ... Weird! It really is in a class if its own.....
Thank you so much and I appreciate any feedback...

dkdavenport 07-02-2011 11:34 PM

Wellcome to the world of jeep, most of the new JK's are a little stiff, but should not make to much noise when hitting bumps, sounds as though the dealer did not do a very good job of preping the jeep or the new owner, if in dought about the noise try to spray the suppension joints with some wd-40 and see which ones are making the noise, and over the years i have found that the sway bar bushings tend to bind up some and with a little grease it tends to smoth up the whole ride. as for the sun rider top should not be a issue to run 55 with it open just make sure it is straped to keep it from trying to flip back up.
Good luck and Happy Jeeping

jeep2011mass 07-03-2011 12:17 AM

I just want to make sure all is good... thats all thanks for your feedback... I am new to jeep so with this forum I will get an idea what is normal.. your idea is is something I will try... I do think alot of what I hear is the wheel well flashing and stuff...

blkrubi88 07-03-2011 08:03 AM

Welcome!

Netties-JK09 07-03-2011 09:05 AM

When I first got my JK, I wondered about flipping the sun rider back and driving on the highway. I've driven 70 mph with it pulled back with no probes. I'm with you on the little noises. I'm like that too. It's not that I'm being nit-picky but just want to make sure those noises are any indication of anything worse. Mine is '09 and bought it pre-owned so I can't take anything too lightly. Rather be safe than sorry.

Netties-JK09 07-03-2011 09:41 AM

**probs

Jeepoffroad04 07-03-2011 10:04 AM

Welcome

JDsDream 07-03-2011 10:14 AM

Welcome to the Forum

1) The first thing I would check is tire pressure. Drop the pressure to around 29-30 psi and see if that helps. For some strange reason dealerships tend to over-inflate and it does cause a rougher ride. When off-roading, you will want to drop the pressure even lower. Just make sure to air back up before hitting the pavement.

2) Your stock jeep is trail worthy right off the showroom floor. Modifications are not necessary for the trail. Take it out and give it a try. You may find that you want to add as your experience grows.

3) If you want to travel highway speeds with the sunrider open, remove the rear window first. If you don't allow the air to pass through it's like driving with a drag chute attached to your jeep.

4) Many owners rely solely on the soft top year round. These things have amazing heaters and you won't freeze. One word of sdvice though, never scrape your plastic windows. Allow the heater to take care of any frost issues.

I hope this helps allieviate you concerns.

Ageless Stranger 07-04-2011 02:06 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

jeep2011mass 07-05-2011 10:01 AM

Great, I did wonder about the tire pressure.. It seemed like I was driving on stone like the flintstones... I will try that... Did not know that you could take the back window out with the sunrider out.. I will have to try that... One more thing can you also take the side wondows off as well with the sunrider open?

jeep2011mass 07-05-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 1349736)
Welcome to the Forum

1) The first thing I would check is tire pressure. Drop the pressure to around 29-30 psi and see if that helps. For some strange reason dealerships tend to over-inflate and it does cause a rougher ride. When off-roading, you will want to drop the pressure even lower. Just make sure to air back up before hitting the pavement.

2) Your stock jeep is trail worthy right off the showroom floor. Modifications are not necessary for the trail. Take it out and give it a try. You may find that you want to add as your experience grows.

3) If you want to travel highway speeds with the sunrider open, remove the rear window first. If you don't allow the air to pass through it's like driving with a drag chute attached to your jeep.

4) Many owners rely solely on the soft top year round. These things have amazing heaters and you won't freeze. One word of sdvice though, never scrape your plastic windows. Allow the heater to take care of any frost issues.

I hope this helps allieviate you concerns.


Thank you so much,
One question, Even thou the sticker on the door says cold pressure should b e set to 35psi is still safe to drop them down to 30ish ?? I have the bottom line Wranger with the stock alum wheels.. Didn't know if I can go that low on them.

jeep2011mass 07-05-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netties-JK09 (Post 1349633)
When I first got my JK, I wondered about flipping the sun rider back and driving on the highway. I've driven 70 mph with it pulled back with no probes. I'm with you on the little noises. I'm like that too. It's not that I'm being nit-picky but just want to make sure those noises are any indication of anything worse. Mine is '09 and bought it pre-owned so I can't take anything too lightly. Rather be safe than sorry.

Hey there,
I am with you with all the noises... I am pretty sure that most of the noises I hear is coming from the wheel well flashing. It is a pretty crappy design ... I only notice noises when I am driving over big bumps in the road... I do know exactly how you feel thou....

dkdavenport 07-06-2011 02:46 AM

Most jeeps on the trail can run around 12 psi on stock rims, with out any real issues, the wifes jeep is on 33's with steel rims and we drop hers down to around 8 on the trail, mine are 39.5's on bead locks i run around 3 or 4 on the trail, the 33's we run 24 on the road mine i run around 12, so it depends on what you are running, and how you are going to use it, but most radial tires on jeeps seem to like around 22 to 24 on the hiway, if you load it heavy than i would bring it up to around 28. our 2 door JK on 33's i would run around 24 and it never sees any off road, but we do pull a pop up trailer with it and even at 24 it does fine, get to low you will start picking up some body roll in the corners, so add a little untill you feel comfortable with the ride and handling.

Netties-JK09 07-06-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass

Hey there,
I am with you with all the noises... I am pretty sure that most of the noises I hear is coming from the wheel well flashing. It is a pretty crappy design ... I only notice noises when I am driving over big bumps in the road... I do know exactly how you feel thou....

I went and got a vehicle inspection at my local Firestone (my Chrysler svc. dept. was closed) and they found my driver side front bumper was loose and the bolts were stripped or something because they couldn't tighten them up (this was what was causing the "squeaking" noise I kept hearing when I'd go over certain bumps. That also found that there was rattling noises in the emissions canister. Anyway, I'll be going to my Chrysler service dept. on Friday to get that fixed.

Mango-Jeepin 07-06-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 1349736)
Welcome to the Forum

1) The first thing I would check is tire pressure. Drop the pressure to around 29-30 psi and see if that helps. For some strange reason dealerships tend to over-inflate and it does cause a rougher ride. When off-roading, you will want to drop the pressure even lower. Just make sure to air back up before hitting the pavement.

2) Your stock jeep is trail worthy right off the showroom floor. Modifications are not necessary for the trail. Take it out and give it a try. You may find that you want to add as your experience grows.

3) If you want to travel highway speeds with the sunrider open, remove the rear window first. If you don't allow the air to pass through it's like driving with a drag chute attached to your jeep.

4) Many owners rely solely on the soft top year round. These things have amazing heaters and you won't freeze. One word of sdvice though, never scrape your plastic windows. Allow the heater to take care of any frost issues.

I hope this helps allieviate you concerns.

3) sunrider and rear window - Oh that is such a great idea!!! Thanks!!!

Mango-Jeepin 07-06-2011 06:29 AM

I just picked up my Jeep in April and I've noticed all the same things that you have. My husband accidentally had to stop too fast and it skipped a bit and it was a good reminder to him that you have to drive a Jeep different. I love the sunrider top especially with our New England random weather! My stock wheels are my only pet peeve right now. I can't wait to be able to afford to upgrade.

JDsDream 07-06-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass (Post 1355150)
Thank you so much,
One question, Even thou the sticker on the door says cold pressure should b e set to 35psi is still safe to drop them down to 30ish ?? I have the bottom line Wranger with the stock alum wheels.. Didn't know if I can go that low on them.

The psi listed on the door is for when you have your Jeep loaded to the maximum weight capacity. I don't know of anyone that goes by that number on a Wrangler, my BMW - yes, my wrangler - no way. It is completely safe to run them much lower than the "suggested" psi. It will make a world of difference in not only the ride, but the handling as well. Take them down until you get the feel you want and you will notice that a lot of those noises will disappear as well.

Almost forgot...Yes you can remove your side windows with the sunrider open.

jeep2011mass 07-06-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 1355708)
The psi listed on the door is for when you have your Jeep loaded to the maximum weight capacity. I don't know of anyone that goes by that number on a Wrangler, my BMW - yes, my wrangler - no way. It is completely safe to run them much lower than the "suggested" psi. It will make a world of difference in not only the ride, but the handling as well. Take them down until you get the feel you want and you will notice that a lot of those noises will disappear as well.

Almost forgot...Yes you can remove your side windows with the sunrider open.

Thank you so much for the information... I am going to try it...

jeep2011mass 07-06-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 1355707)
I just picked up my Jeep in April and I've noticed all the same things that you have. My husband accidentally had to stop too fast and it skipped a bit and it was a good reminder to him that you have to drive a Jeep different. I love the sunrider top especially with our New England random weather! My stock wheels are my only pet peeve right now. I can't wait to be able to afford to upgrade.

One thing I also hated my stock wheels so I was told about wheel skins.. They match the existing wheels so you can't tell they are covers.. They only came in chrome.. I just typed in 2011 Jeep wrangler wheel skins and they are popped up.. They were about 60 dollars for a set of 4.. They make the whole jeep look 100 times better and in addition I also got a chrome cover for the grill... I think it look so much better than it did when I bought it... Take a look on line and see if you like the way they look also in my profile picture they are on the wheels.. It might make more bearable till you can buy some new wheels...

Mango-Jeepin 07-06-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass (Post 1356063)
One thing I also hated my stock wheels so I was told about wheel skins.. They match the existing wheels so you can't tell they are covers.. They only came in chrome.. I just typed in 2011 Jeep wrangler wheel skins and they are popped up.. They were about 60 dollars for a set of 4.. They make the whole jeep look 100 times better and in addition I also got a chrome cover for the grill... I think it look so much better than it did when I bought it... Take a look on line and see if you like the way they look also in my profile picture they are on the wheels.. It might make more bearable till you can buy some new wheels...

Thanks! I will check them out! I like how they look on yours!:thumb:

Netties-JK09 07-06-2011 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I got rid of my stockers pretty quick after getting my JKU. Also got new wheels. Wanted something black. Ended up with Firestone Destinations (245/70-16) with 16x8 Ultra Maverick wheels. I couldn't be happier.

jeep2011mass 07-06-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netties-JK09 (Post 1356172)
Yeah, I got rid of my stockers pretty quick after getting my JKU. Also got new wheels. Wanted something black. Ended up with Firestone Destinations (245/70-16) with 16x8 Ultra Maverick wheels. I couldn't be happier.


Cool Photos, I like those wheels alot that is sorta what I am thinking about getting for mine... I also like the tinted windows in the soft top.. Did that come with it or did you buy them? That is a 2009? Let me ask you a question what model is the X ? I have a sport with very little, but does have AC and and some toys but in no way is it loaded.

jeep2011mass 07-06-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 1356152)
Thanks! I will check them out! I like how they look on yours!:thumb:


You should they look pretty real for the most part.. they are going to get me by till I can get some new wheels... Also, do you ever notice noises when going over bumps also what are your tires set at. Per advise I lowered mine down to 31psi and it feels better. I would not say all the noises I hear are gone, but it does ride much smoother... I still trying to get used to all the quirks. After driving cars for so long its a transition.

Netties-JK09 07-06-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass

Cool Photos, I like those wheels alot that is sorta what I am thinking about getting for mine... I also like the tinted windows in the soft top.. Did that come with it or did you buy them? That is a 2009? Let me ask you a question what model is the X ? I have a sport with very little, but does have AC and and some toys but in no way is it loaded.

Thanx! The tinted windows are after market. I just think they look better than the clears.
Yes, mine is an '09 and the X is the base, I think the Sport replaced the "X". I have AC, but nothin else, other than the CD/MP3/stereo. My next upgrade is converting my manual locks to power. It's just more convenient. My windows are staying manual, though. There's not a lot else I'm going to do to mod it up. I do want a Spider Web top, too. I like having the soft top down, but the sun is brutal. The mesh will help ease the heat of the sun.

I used to be a "handbag" girl, but I'm enjoying spending my money on my Jeep!

jeep2011mass 07-06-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netties-JK09 (Post 1357735)
Thanx! The tinted windows are after market. I just think they look better than the clears.
Yes, mine is an '09 and the X is the base, I think the Sport replaced the "X". I have AC, but nothin else, other than the CD/MP3/stereo. My next upgrade is converting my manual locks to power. It's just more convenient. My windows are staying manual, though. There's not a lot else I'm going to do to mod it up. I do want a Spider Web top, too. I like having the soft top down, but the sun is brutal. The mesh will help ease the heat of the sun.

I used to be a "handbag" girl, but I'm enjoying spending my money on my Jeep!

I love the top off all the time.. I drove a hundred miles the other day with the top off and the sun beating down and it was great.. HOwever, sunscreen in a must.. I think that I am going to look into those tinted windows , they do look better then clear... I am with on the locks, however, I find that i never lock it anyways anymore... Due to the top always being down.. If someone want to climb in they can with or without the doors locked LOL when I bought mine I wanted the model with electric windows and locks and then I thought about it why. I am pretty happy with the manual locks and windows. However, yours is a 4 door and mine is a 2 doors so it would be worth it for you... what site did you find your wheels on or did you get them at firestone too??

Netties-JK09 07-06-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass

I love the top off all the time.. I drove a hundred miles the other day with the top off and the sun beating down and it was great.. HOwever, sunscreen in a must.. I think that I am going to look into those tinted windows , they do look better then clear... I am with on the locks, however, I find that i never lock it anyways anymore... Due to the top always being down.. If someone want to climb in they can with or without the doors locked LOL when I bought mine I wanted the model with electric windows and locks and then I thought about it why. I am pretty happy with the manual locks and windows. However, yours is a 4 door and mine is a 2 doors so it would be worth it for you... what site did you find your wheels on or did you get them at firestone too??

I got a good deal on the set of four on eBay (brand new) from Wheel and Tireworks, bought the fifth wheel on tirerack.com. I had done a lot of research and searched all over for just the right wheels. Didn't want chrome or all-machined wheels, wanted black. These were the ones I kept going back to and I'm glad I got them. They are called Ultra Mavericks (not sure on model number). You can google them and find them on a couple of sites. Tirerack.com has a good selection on wheels, too, but do a wide search for what you want and the best deal.

Regarding the power option, I think about it too and say that it's one less thing to get broken. So, the windows are staying the same but the desire to have to power locks weighs a little heavier on me. I can get it done rather inexpensively, too. The door lock actuators are pretty cheap on Amazon.com and I have a good friend who is good at that kind of stuff that will do it for a very good price. So, it's a win-win for me. Lol

Mango-Jeepin 07-07-2011 10:40 AM

I'm stuck on the Mickey Thompson SideBiter wheels. I think they will look really awesome with the orange...

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

I like the chrome on the green though!

Mango-Jeepin 07-07-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass (Post 1357596)
You should they look pretty real for the most part.. they are going to get me by till I can get some new wheels... Also, do you ever notice noises when going over bumps also what are your tires set at. Per advise I lowered mine down to 31psi and it feels better. I would not say all the noises I hear are gone, but it does ride much smoother... I still trying to get used to all the quirks. After driving cars for so long its a transition.

I'm just used to the noises at this point. With the sunrider back and the windows open... I can't hear anything anyyway. :D I will need to check what my tires are at and lower them...they are still at whatever the dealer did.

jeep2011mass 07-07-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 1359538)
I'm just used to the noises at this point. With the sunrider back and the windows open... I can't hear anything anyyway. :D I will need to check what my tires are at and lower them...they are still at whatever the dealer did.


Here is a question when you check the tire pressure do you use adigital guage or analog.. I have both and the analog reads 2 psi higher than the digital one. just curious.
Thanks

Mango-Jeepin 07-11-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011mass (Post 1360025)
Here is a question when you check the tire pressure do you use adigital guage or analog.. I have both and the analog reads 2 psi higher than the digital one. just curious.
Thanks

Digital... and I still need to check what mine are at. But..... i'm sooooo excited. Just picked up a set of 5 Rubicon wheels and mud terrain tires for a killer price and my husband is putting them on tomorrow. Its going to make SUCH a difference. :dance:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.