Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Dual exhaust on a jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/dual-exhaust-on-a-jeep-100850.html)

tealthunder 07-02-2011 11:38 PM

So I've got a buddy that works for us oil, he said that they distribute all the parts to the local shops, so he gets all the parts at wholesale price. So he's going to be buying me all new pipe and muffler for my 98 wrangler. And I was just wondering how tough it is to do a dual exhaust on a tj? He's going to be doing the exhaust for me as well. He said doing a dual is easy, but I'm not sure if he's seen the undercarriage of a jeep. So if anyone has done this or has some tips, post away. Also, to get the best, deep sounding tone out of my jeep, what should I do pipesize wise? I'm thinking 2.5" or maybe 2 5/8" and then a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler? Opinions and ideas would be great

Ps - it's a 4 banger, soooo lol

Jiffydarren 07-02-2011 11:41 PM

Yeah, better split that one exhaust manifold in to two pipes... That is completely practical.

tealthunder 07-02-2011 11:47 PM

I just saw some guy with it on his jeep today, so I can't be the only one with the idea

jwm1986 07-02-2011 11:50 PM

The driver side is really odd to get a pipe through because of the track bar mount being in the way. Maybe if you never off road or anything it would be possible. I am of the opinion that dual exhaust should stay to pickups and vehicles that came with it in the first place (2 tips at least). :)

Enjoy trying however!

BAM4x4 07-02-2011 11:57 PM

I have looked in to this myself and I was always told that it cant be done on a TJ because of the gas tank. I look forward to seeing this thread through to see how it can be done.

s3nt3nc3d 07-03-2011 12:10 AM

I've always been a firm believer that dual exhaust on smaller engines sounds like absolute shiat...no offense meant at all...

Even on a 4.0 I wouldn't think it would sound good.

LilYeller 07-03-2011 12:14 AM

My local muffler shop wouldnt do dual exhaust on my tj because of the gas tank being in the way. If there is a way it would be nice to know cause I really like the sound of my single magnaflow...

s3nt3nc3d 07-03-2011 12:23 AM

By the way...I was referring to TRUE dual exhaust like the OP was mentioning. Nothing wrong at all with doing a single in/dual out muffler if you can make it work since it's not going to change the sound much at all.

What about routing the pipes out the sides somewhere...? Probably would put them at higher risk of being damaged while off-roading, but might be an option.

BAM4x4 07-03-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 1349307)
By the way...I was referring to TRUE dual exhaust like the OP was mentioning. Nothing wrong at all with doing a single in/dual out muffler if you can make it work since it's not going to change the sound much at all.

What about routing the pipes out the sides somewhere...? Probably would put them at higher risk of being damaged while off-roading, but might be an option.

Yea now that I think about it, it would pose a hazard while off road.
As to the sound, I have seen/heard them on JK's and they sound decent even with their smaller engines.

DKarge87 07-03-2011 08:20 AM

A camaro muffler might work with the one side with the in and out and the other end with just the out

tailhole 07-03-2011 08:41 AM

Havent seen it on a TJ. But theres a cupple YJs that have the side pipes. And dont sound bad.
nothing like the fart cans on hondas