Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Frameless Soft Top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/frameless-soft-top-100863.html)

peterc 07-03-2011 12:54 AM

Frameless Soft Top?
 
Hey guys! I was looking into getting a soft top for my Jeep, and was thinking of going with a frameless one, because I love the option of turning it into a safari style bikini top and the price and look. The only problem with this is I need to be able to have the top with me when I go out in case of rain. I know that it won't fold nice and neatly to the back like framed ones, but I was wondering if it's possible to take it off, roll it up, and put it in the trunk. Thanks!

Drakea94 07-03-2011 01:12 AM

Yes it Is I roll my rampage top all the time

bonnielass 07-03-2011 08:14 PM

I haven't tried it yet with my Rampage, but I see no reason why you can't. Especially since the side and back windows fit inside a case, that's sandwiched inside the safari top. It would definitely make it easier to keep scratches off the windows AND have everything in once convenient piece.

Hope you get a frameless! It took a little getting used to (compared to a Supertop) but I love the lower profile and the winds and slight slant back look sharp.

KRawson 07-03-2011 08:24 PM

I don't roll mine, I have a old viking fast back soft top, it comes with a case that will fit the back window and both sides flat, then they are placed under bikini top with velcro and works great. That way they don't get damaged or warped at all.

peterc 09-21-2011 11:25 PM

Ok and one more question... Do you lose any headroom in the rear seat?

Drakea94 09-21-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc
Ok and one more question... Do you lose any headroom in the rear seat?

Yes you do

InfernoGirl 09-22-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRawson (Post 1350662)
I don't roll mine, I have a old viking fast back soft top, it comes with a case that will fit the back window and both sides flat, then they are placed under bikini top with velcro and works great. That way they don't get damaged or warped at all.

I think they are talking about when the entire top is removed, not just the windows. The Rampage tops have the same pocket, since it's the same top.

necromancer_tat 09-22-2011 09:06 AM

Does anyone run the rampage top with a sport cage? I like the way they look, but my roll cage isn't stock anymore.

peterc 09-22-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakea94

Yes you do

How much do you lose? I don't want my friends back there to be any more uncomfortable than they already are.

freeskier 09-22-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necromancer_tat (Post 1593113)
Does anyone run the rampage top with a sport cage? I like the way they look, but my roll cage isn't stock anymore.

Post a picture of the cage and I can tell you if it will work or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc (Post 1594493)
How much do you lose? I don't want my friends back there to be any more uncomfortable than they already are.

The top follows the roll cage, take a blanket or something and simulate it. But if you like the top why cater to the comfort of your friends? It's YOUR jeep, not theirs, your not the one sitting back there...

necromancer_tat 09-22-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1594624)
Post a picture of the cage and I can tell you if it will work or not.
...


I'll take one tomorrow if it isn't raining to bad, we're supposed to be getting a nasty storm tonight that is forecast to ruin my entire weekend... I've got something similar to the poison spider sport cage, there's a cross brace between my rear rolbar tubes that angles up and out a few inches from stock, it kinda makes me think I can't use the rampage top.

freeskier 09-22-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necromancer_tat (Post 1594740)
I'll take one tomorrow if it isn't raining to bad, we're supposed to be getting a nasty storm tonight that is forecast to ruin my entire weekend... I've got something similar to the poison spider sport cage, there's a cross brace between my rear rolbar tubes that angles up and out a few inches from stock, it kinda makes me think I can't use the rampage top.

Is it weld on or clamp on? If it's weld on it won't work, if it's clamp on you can flip the bar around and it will work. However if you still have a rear seat you shouldn't flip the crossbar around.

Drakea94 09-22-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc

How much do you lose? I don't want my friends back there to be any more uncomfortable than they already are.

I'll measure tomorrow ?

necromancer_tat 09-22-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1594811)
Is it weld on or clamp on? If it's weld on it won't work, if it's clamp on you can flip the bar around and it will work. However if you still have a rear seat you shouldn't flip the crossbar around.

It's welded, and my back seat is in the garage, most likely never to be used again. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

peterc 09-22-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier

The top follows the roll cage, take a blanket or something and simulate it. But if you like the top why cater to the comfort of your friends? It's YOUR jeep, not theirs, your not the one sitting back there...

That's a real good point, haha thanks! I'm not sure which look I like better, but I definatly love the functuality of the frameless, so I'm leaning towards that now.

peterc 09-23-2011 06:55 AM

Oh and actually one more question, is it a PITA to take it all the way down and put it all the way back up? Ill probably have it down most of the summer, but I love being able to convert to a safari. Will I regret it if I take it down all the way often?

Drakea94 09-23-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc
Oh and actually one more question, is it a PITA to take it all the way down and put it all the way back up? Ill probably have it down most of the summer, but I love being able to convert to a safari. Will I regret it if I take it down all the way often?

No it very easy I can put mine up from completely off in 8 min .

peterc 09-23-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakea94

No it very easy I can put mine up from completely off in 8 min .

Great! Thanks! And also to everyone, is there a headroom difference between frameless and a framed top for the driver in the passenger. Wondering because I heard it sits lower?

jrussblues 09-23-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc

Great! Thanks! And also to everyone, is there a headroom difference between frameless and a framed top for the driver in the passenger. Wondering because I heard it sits lower?

Yep, but unlike a jk there is a ton of headroom already. Im 6'4" and have a good 8" of headroom left with my frameless. The cool part is that with the shorter top i can still fit in parking garages and could prob bump another 3" of lift and easily fit in my own garage with 0 problems. It knocked what seems like a good 5" off of the canopy height.

necromancer_tat 09-24-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1594624)
Post a picture of the cage and I can tell you if it will work or not.


Thanks! Here's some pics of my cage, it's kinda looking like I won't be able to use the rampage top.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8200/87065673.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3392/48682441.jpg
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8806/42401875.jpg
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3139/92057367.jpg

TJChris27 09-24-2011 10:43 AM

Yea the bar across the rear of the cage is what concerns me. Anyone local to you that has one you could "try on" lol? I'd hate too see you order it to not have it fit. On another note I'm diggin your cage!

SirGeorgeKillian 09-24-2011 10:46 AM

I just put on my Trecktop. So far, so good. The overall quality seems very good. The top fits tight and so far I am pleased. The Trecktop has the "sunrider" feature, which lets you flip the top half back, super quickly too.

necromancer_tat 09-24-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJChris27 (Post 1599336)
Yea the bar across the rear of the cage is what concerns me. Anyone local to you that has one you could "try on" lol? I'd hate too see you order it to not have it fit. On another note I'm diggin your cage!


That's the same bar that concerns me too, as well as the front bar that also rises above the stock roll bar tubes.

Thanks for the compliment! It was on the Jeep when I got it, I think most of it is home made, but the front lower legs bolt into the dashboard bolts like some of the sport cages I've seen..

The factory soft top fits fine with it, but I'd like to go with something else other than factory, I just don't know what will work and what won't, I'll try to convince someone to let me try out their top and see if it works like you suggested. :thumb:

freeskier 09-24-2011 01:37 PM

Yeah, I don't think it will work with the rear crossbar.

necromancer_tat 09-24-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1599758)
Yeah, I don't think it will work with the rear crossbar.

That's what I was afraid of :banghead: I guess I'll just stick with a soft top for now.

peterc 09-26-2011 02:58 PM

Do you think you could fit the frameless top and some soft doors in the trunk?

TJChris27 09-26-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc
Do you think you could fit the frameless top and some soft doors in the trunk?

I would say more than likely yes. I wouldn't recommend it though. I have OCD about my soft windows and wouldn't wanna rough them up or put creases on them. That's just me though.

Drakea94 09-26-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterc
Do you think you could fit the frameless top and some soft doors in the trunk?

Yea but it would be easier with no back seat .

O_M_Jeep 09-26-2011 04:43 PM

you could make it fit with the sport cage, BUT ! ! ! It would be a process, you need someplace warm, and it would take a couple days to warm and stretch it to fit, using tarp-straps (like bunji-cords but stronger and stiffer) to pull it tight continualy, wet it, warm, let it dry. The problem you will run in to doing this is if your not careful it will stretch too far, also your likely to have issues with the rear window zippers no matter what.

necromancer_tat 09-26-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 1605265)
you could make it fit with the sport cage, BUT ! ! ! It would be a process, you need someplace warm, and it would take a couple days to warm and stretch it to fit, using tarp-straps (like bunji-cords but stronger and stiffer) to pull it tight continualy, wet it, warm, let it dry. The problem you will run in to doing this is if your not careful it will stretch too far, also your likely to have issues with the rear window zippers no matter what.

Thanks for the advice! :wavey: I'm thinking I'll just try to find a hard top at pic and pull or on craigslist or something... I also want to try to find full hard doors with roll up windows for winter wheeling.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.