Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Old willys ( pics) help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/old-willys-pics-help-100868.html)

Drakea94 07-03-2011 01:35 AM

Saw this today and went to look and take pics ( my jeeps in the back ) the owner of the garage comes out and starts talking about it . And he tells me he'd give it to me hauled to my house or a mechanic for 50 $ and 25$ for gas . He said it shouldn't take much to get it running .
I dont know the year .
Should I take him up on the offer or just say no .
How hard are they to take care of .
Thanks drake .

H2_recoveryteam 07-03-2011 03:30 AM

For that cheap i cant see anyway u could loose.

MattD 07-03-2011 05:45 AM

Unless you have your own body shop, garage, and a lot of expendable income it doesn't look promising. If you have the space and time though, parting it out on eBay would likely generate a few thousand dollars. Sell what you can off it and then have the rest hauled away.

tktj 07-03-2011 06:00 AM

I would jump on that in a heartbeat. thats cool just the way it sits old jeeps aren't ment to be perfect

4Jeepn 07-03-2011 09:10 AM

Why is it not in your driveway right now???

ItsSabby 07-03-2011 09:45 AM

i wouldnt have even thought twice about it, id have handed him the $75 right there and helped put it on the truck to lead it home. for that cheap you cant go wrong. its an old jeep, not meant to be a showpiece, with a little ingenuity and some elbow grease you can probably get it going without even having to put alot of money into it.

Drakea94 07-03-2011 05:15 PM

I'm not very me mechanically inclined .
But im head over Tuesday to look agin .

ItsSabby 07-03-2011 05:26 PM

Well this is the perfect project to get you started then. Its not much money to buy and you can just do as you please with it. If you have someone who is a mechanic to hang around and give you tips that would be great also.

Give it a shot and don't be afraid to get creative and just do stuff. I would try to put as little money into it as possible. That's what I've been doing with my yj. I bought it for $300 and have only put $200 into it to get it running and driving nicely and another $200 on some goodies to get it looking nice.

fmhyj 07-04-2011 11:56 AM

It would already be In my driveway! Good luck with it

LilYeller 07-04-2011 12:11 PM

Dont ask any more questions BUY IT NOW! the best place to start building knowledge is on old and beat up cars. And this isnt just an old and beat up car its a WILLYS lol get off this forum and go buy it

Zetsumei 07-04-2011 12:17 PM

Hey Drake, if you don't get it my dad and I want it! hahaha.

Kevinm2467 07-04-2011 12:18 PM

I would never off thought about anything. I would not of took it outta my sight until it was in my garage... You better go buy that thing right now. If you don't want to mess with it then I know you could turn around and make some money off of it.... Go buy it NOW!!!!!

LilYeller 07-04-2011 12:21 PM

So where exactly in TN is this located? lol

TjTheo 07-04-2011 12:25 PM

Id do it in a heartbeat, if it turns out too complicated to fix, id clean it up good bedline it and sell it for more.

Tarby 07-07-2011 06:56 PM

That's an M38 A1 military jeep, not just any Willys cj5. Pick it up, you can sell it easily to a military guy.

poppajeep 07-08-2011 01:10 PM

Old willys (pics) help

I wouldn't do a lot of agonizing over this. Your "right" answer is "yessir, my address is________________." This is a piece of history here. It appears to be a mid '50s M38A1. If it isn't running just yet, they are simplicity to the max, and would be a fun project to get going. By the color, it isn't easy to see, but if it a Marines version, you get a power lock at both ends. (that's a good thing). And it has a factory installed shackle reversal. Not to mention the machine gun mount on the rear crossmember. If you don't like the F head engine, a Buick v6, or Ford 302, or even a Chevrolet v8 is a simple swap. More than likely has 5.38 gears. Also keep in mind that if he offered it to you that cheap, he has offered it to others, and you may have to do it soon. Also, get as much paperwork as you can to register it. :dance: ps., don't just get it to part out, or sell and make money. Build it, and have a good time with it. Keep on Jeepin'

Drakea94 07-08-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppajeep
I wouldn't do a lot of agonizing over this. Your "right" answer is "yessir, my address is________________." This is a piece of history here. It appears to be a mid '50s M38A1. If it isn't running just yet, they are simplicity to the max, and would be a fun project to get going. By the color, it isn't easy to see, but if it a Marines version, you get a power lock at both ends. (that's a good thing). And it has a factory installed shackle reversal. Not to mention the machine gun mount on the rear crossmember. If you don't like the F head engine, a Buick v6, or Ford 302, or even a Chevrolet v8 is a simple swap. More than likely has 5.38 gears. Also keep in mind that if he offered it to you that cheap, he has offered it to others, and you may have to do it soon. Also, get as much paperwork as you can to register it. :dance: ps., don't just get it to part out, or sell and make money. Build it, and have a good time with it. Keep on Jeepin'

He holding it for me I'll be getting it next week maybe

GoldenSahara00 07-08-2011 01:41 PM

Its rusty bub, and money you have to put into something is money best spent else where. I would work on your rig you have no personally. but if you want to part it out, thats a smart choice. though I imagine if it had much in good condition worth parting out the guy would have done it.

Drakea94 07-08-2011 01:46 PM

Yea I have yet to decide . I have my tj and would like to mod it

RockyWrangler98 07-08-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakea94
Yea I have yet to decide . I have my tj and would like to mod it

If nothing else, get it rust free, and rust proof, and just let it sit in your front yard. That's how we do it here in TN. :D I can imagine you could get it running though...

Drakea94 07-08-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyWrangler98

If nothing else, get it rust free, and rust proof, and just let it sit in your front yard. That's how we do it here in TN. :D I can imagine you could get it running though...

I know rocky that's a wast of a jeep . I just have to decide which jeep to spend the money on

RockyWrangler98 07-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

I know rocky that's a wast of a jeep . I just have to decide which jeep to spend the money on

Well 75 bucks will have it sitting in your driveway. That's a start. What will $75 buy for the tj? Except for a tank of gas. Lol

ItsSabby 07-08-2011 04:05 PM

Man I coulda drove to tennessee, picked it up, and been back with it running by now. Lol

Drakea94 07-08-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyWrangler98

Well 75 bucks will have it sitting in your driveway. That's a start. What will $75 buy for the tj? Except for a tank of gas. Lol

But $ on getting it running 775 for a top and doors 1000 for tires
55 new headlights 45 for new tags .
New gas tank 45 shocks 240
That's just a start .
( I've been through the restore thing fun but costly )

RockyWrangler98 07-08-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

But $ on getting it running 775 for a top and doors 1000 for tires
55 new headlights 45 for new tags .
New gas tank 45 shocks 240
That's just a start .
( I've been through the restore thing fun but costly )

That's why you take it slow. It wouldn't be your dd, there's no rush to get it running and in pristine condition. Your call though.

Drakea94 07-08-2011 04:25 PM

Anybody know if a willies engine is harder or easier to work on the air-cooled vw engines ?

GrassKicker 07-08-2011 04:33 PM

Drake , it looks like a '53 model. A really good friend of mine has one, looks just like it. 4 banger and everything orig.

GrassKicker 07-08-2011 04:38 PM

There is a man in Knoxville, TN. He has a lot of parts but he is proud of them $$. PM me and I might be able to find his #, if you want.

Drakea94 07-08-2011 05:01 PM

$$ is a big deal

bc3_Jeep 07-08-2011 05:46 PM

I would have handed the guy a $100 bill and not whined if he did not have change.....

where is this thing???? i will take my trailer TOMORROW and give the guy $100.......

Please tell me.....