Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   2" or 4" lift?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/2-or-4-lift-101181.html)

SWFLWRANGLER 07-05-2011 03:21 PM

2" or 4" lift??
 
I need some help! Its now time to put a lift on my jeep, and I cant decide what to go with. My jeep has 31" tires on it right now, but I know im gunna want to go to 33" or 35" in the near future... so should I just go with the 4" lift right away??

NCJeepin 07-05-2011 03:37 PM

If you go with 4", you will want to also look about a SYE, new double cardon rear driveshaft, and adjustable upper rear control arms. If you're on a budget, 4" might not be the way to go IMO. I went with a 3" and didn't have to do a SYE and driveshaft. And I can always go and add a 1" body lift to get 4" total. 2" will be much cheaper than a 4".

SWFLWRANGLER 07-05-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCJeepin (Post 1354134)
If you go with 4", you will want to also look about a SYE, new double cardon rear driveshaft, and adjustable upper rear control arms. If you're on a budget, 4" might not be the way to go IMO. I went with a 3" and didn't have to do a SYE and driveshaft. And I can always go and add a 1" body lift to get 4" total. 2" will be much cheaper than a 4".

Sorry I didnt clarify too well... the 4" lift consists of a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift

NCJeepin 07-05-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLWRANGLER (Post 1354141)
Sorry I didnt clarify too well... the 4" lift consists of a 3" suspension lift and a 1" body lift

Oh ok. That's what I would do then. You'll probably have enough room for 35s later on.

SWFLWRANGLER 07-05-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCJeepin (Post 1354165)
Oh ok. That's what I would do then. You'll probably have enough room for 35s later on.

thats what im leaning towards...

nick50471 07-05-2011 04:01 PM

You still may need an SYE/CV set up. Not all Jeeps are the same.
You will need proper bumpstops and trackbars.

NCJeepin 07-05-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 1354176)
You still may need an SYE/CV set up. Not all Jeeps are the same.
You will need proper bumpstops and trackbars.

x2. I may end up doing a SYE/CV later on to rid my Jeep of the horrid t-case drop. Idk if a MML would get it done for me...

jrussblues 07-05-2011 05:30 PM

Im running a 2" bb + a 1" bl. Plenty of room for 33's and keeps it low. A 4" gets much more complicated and depending on your factory axles much more pricey to run 35's...depending on how you plan to use them. If I do anything else its regear, high clearance fenders, 35's and ox lockers. No more lift. But again it all depends on what you want and how much $$ you want to spend.

MrGriffin 07-12-2011 12:52 AM

ok im new to this but i just installed a superlift 4" lift and the front rides rough as hell... i doubled checked to make sure i installed everything right, i even went and had it aligned... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me...

jcharlson 07-12-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGriffin (Post 1372446)
ok im new to this but i just installed a superlift 4" lift and the front rides rough as hell... i doubled checked to make sure i installed everything right, i even went and had it aligned... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me...

I've never installed a lift, so I am by no means an authority on the subject, but from what I've heard, when installing a lift over 2"-2.5" you also need to replace, or lengthen the driveshaft. I don't know it that would cause it to ride rough, but I've heard that it can lead to many problems.

NCJeepin 07-12-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcharlson (Post 1372479)
I've never installed a lift, so I am by no means an authority on the subject, but from what I've heard, when installing a lift over 2"-2.5" you also need to replace, or lengthen the driveshaft. I don't know it that would cause it to ride rough, but I've heard that it can lead to many problems.

x2 on getting a longer driveshaft. To do this, you need a SYE, custom double-cardon rear driveshaft, and rear upper adjustable control arms.

Superlift has been known to ride rough. Probably the shocks.

MrGriffin 07-13-2011 12:06 AM

Ok after doin some test I believe I have a issue with the coil springs. I went ahead and up graded to some good nitro shocks and I still have the same issue. I too the coils off and the shocks and checked my travel with a jack and everything works great. I believe its just the superlift coils. Im thinking about some teraflex's. Any better ideas?

NCJeepin 07-13-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGriffin (Post 1375354)
Ok after doin some test I believe I have a issue with the coil springs. I went ahead and up graded to some good nitro shocks and I still have the same issue. I too the coils off and the shocks and checked my travel with a jack and everything works great. I believe its just the superlift coils. Im thinking about some teraflex's. Any better ideas?

Just remember, the Jeep is never gonna ride like a Caddy. It's always gonna be a little rough/bumpy. It's just the nature of the beast.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.