Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   towing 2005 jeep wrangler x (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/towing-2005-jeep-wrangler-x-101332.html)

librarian 07-06-2011 01:55 PM

towing 2005 jeep wrangler x

I'm a newbie jeep owner and will need to tow my 2005 wrangler x from MA to NC in August - I've heard that it should be towed w/ a"ll four wheels down" versus on tow dolly - is this true? Thank you.

LilYeller 07-06-2011 02:35 PM

put all 4 on the ground with 4wd in neutral. thats exactly what that is made for

or put it on a flatbed type where all the wheels are off the ground, if you can find one big enough.

Jerry Bransford 07-06-2011 03:14 PM

Flat towing is fine. The transfer case must be in neutral, and transmission must be either in Park or in gear to prevent the transmission from spinning without its normal lubrication. Unlock your ignition switch so the front tires can follow as your tow vehicle turns left and right.

librarian 07-15-2011 05:48 PM

I understand it has to have all 4 on the ground, but I can't seem to find the right/proper tow bar. Read something on the net about a Pit Bull adjustable but not sure how to mount it to the Jeep Wrangler's front bumper. UHaul doesn't rent tow bars any longer. Help please, leaving in 3 weeks, and would rather not drive it to NC.

6InARowMakesItGo 07-15-2011 06:00 PM

usually its drilled into the bumper. or the bumper is removed and it is mounted to the frame.

LilYeller 07-16-2011 06:09 AM

Here is a link to the product type. Just google it or go to quadratec.com and youll find alot of them.

4Jeepn 07-16-2011 06:17 AM

Well, it depends on what your tow rig is. For example if you using a full size v8 truck with with say a tow rating of 8000lbs+ you should be fine. If your using a small suv or small pickup, then you may not be, and I would look into a two wheel dolly with brakes.

TJDave 07-16-2011 09:00 AM

Read your owners manual. It explains everything you need to know about towing your Wrangler. Like Jerry mentions above, the manual says to tow it 4 down, TC in nuetral, tranny in gear or park, and steering unlocked. I personally would not use a tow dolly without removing my rear driveshaft.

Is it for a one time trip? If so, the dolly could be your cheapest option. Are you planning on towing your Jeep on many trips in the future? Then a quality flat towing setup would be your answer. I've flat towed my TJ for years without a problem.

Too bad you live so far away. I bought a car hauler and I have a complete Roadmaster flat towing set-up for a TJ just sitting in my garage. I would sell it for a fraction of what I paid for it. Nobody in the PNW seems to be interested in it.

OregonTJ 07-16-2011 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres how we tow our 2005 TJ......:)

Dinny Dunne 04-25-2012 12:35 PM

tow either 4 wheels down or 4 wheels up. NO TWO WHEEL DOLLIES!!!!

I've seen others set up a cheap flat tow set-up from Hidden Hitch. Check the other flat-tow threads.

Dextreme 04-25-2012 01:21 PM

Nice Necropost Dinny. :doh: