Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Spartan locker (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/spartan-locker-101735.html)

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 12:29 AM

Spartan locker

Im considering using a spartan posi locker in my near future gear swap does anyone that has one installed dissagree on installing on a daily driver... Whats opinion on this locker and street driving... Its either spartan locker or leaving spider gears in new carrier for my 4.56 gears...input needed please

jrussblues 07-09-2011 12:39 AM

Front or back?

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 12:47 AM

back

jrussblues 07-09-2011 01:05 AM

You want fully selectable in the back. It'll get dodgy in slick road conditions in the back. They only lock up under engine load and you're rear diff is always under load. I put a lockrite up front and its made a world of difference off road. Up front it doesn't lock up until i drop it in 4wd. There when i need it and not when i don't. If you put one up front do it when you regear, in a dana 30 you have to remove the carrier and ring gear to put one in anything with a 3.73 and numerically higher gear ratio.

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 01:27 AM

So what if I put a lock right up front and just left the rear along... wouldnt that give me the best and smoothest driving on road since its daily driver and 95% on highway.... so if i demand 4x4 with lock right up front ill at least have both front pulling right? any objections to that

furlong24 07-09-2011 01:30 AM

iv seen alot ppl do that... that way there fine on road but if they need to 4x4 they have the front locker to pull them through

jrussblues 07-09-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xloudnproud
So what if I put a lock right up front and just left the rear along... wouldnt that give me the best and smoothest driving on road since its daily driver and 95% on highway.... so if i demand 4x4 with lock right up front ill at least have both front pulling right? any objections to that

That's what i did and it works great. No probs on road.

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 01:36 AM

Great I have a final setup plan... yall have been great help thanks for the help

Scoob 07-09-2011 01:47 AM

A auto locker in the front is ok as long as you dont drive in the snow. If you do they are downright scary.

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 03:27 AM

sounds fun...

TJ-Q8 07-09-2011 09:05 AM

Sorry fpr the little hijack, but its related. I plan on going auto front and rear since they are much cheaper than selectable. I know that the auto ones clunk when doing a uturn. When they clunk is it hurting anything? I mean if i put an auto in the back then probably iy will clunk on every turn. Is that pkay? And if i want to go faster on a uturn and i gove her gas will she lock up the rear straight away? With bigger tires they wont loose grip tht fast will it mean that i will be hurting the rear?

jrussblues 07-09-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Q8
Sorry fpr the little hijack, but its related. I plan on going auto front and rear since they are much cheaper than selectable. I know that the auto ones clunk when doing a uturn. When they clunk is it hurting anything? I mean if i put an auto in the back then probably iy will clunk on every turn. Is that pkay? And if i want to go faster on a uturn and i gove her gas will she lock up the rear straight away? With bigger tires they wont loose grip tht fast will it mean that i will be hurting the rear?

Don't run them on over a 33" tire mine clicks when i turn, that's the sound of the teeth on either side ratcheting when its not engaged. Yes you could potentially damage stuff if you really get a wheel stuck and you start hammering the gas, but that's how most stuff breaks. I wouldn't recommend it on the rear for a daily driver. I have mine up front only and it pulls great. The clunk i don't remember but my buddy had a detroit. In turns the inside wheel on any auto rolls slower than the outside. I do remeber his getting squirly in tight turns. Not fun.

Scoob 07-09-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xloudnproud (Post 1365080)
sounds fun...

LOL, you wont think its fun when you are going around a curve, the locker locks and now you are going straight. I hope there is not a JK load of kids in the other lane.

jrussblues 07-09-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob

I hope there is not a JK load of kids in the other lane.

Hahahahaha. That is hilarious.

Scoob 07-09-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 1365374)
Hahahahaha. That is hilarious.

ooopppss :redface: Did i say that out loud. Of course I meant to say minivan load :)

jrussblues 07-09-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob

ooopppss :redface: Did i say that out loud. Of course I meant to say minivan load :)

It was a premeditated slam scoob...own it, serve your time and try to pick up the pieces when you're released back into the general population.

xloudnproud 07-09-2011 11:19 AM

its my dd so im just gonna do a auto in the front I dont wanna have to worry about how im driving in corners so i wont lose control lol or the excess noise from the rear at times

Scoob 07-09-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 1365426)
It was a premeditated slam scoob...own it, serve your time and try to pick up the pieces when you're released back into the general population.

Argggg Busted!!!!! I must admit I dont even bother saying the word mini van any more :( Off to solitary i go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xloudnproud (Post 1365475)
its my dd so im just gonna do a auto in the front I dont wanna have to worry about how im driving in corners so i wont lose control lol or the excess noise from the rear at times

If you put it in 4wd high and get on a snow covered road, an auto locker is going to lock up when you least expect it. Just be ready for it.

mopardan97 07-09-2011 12:28 PM

I have aussie locker in the rear of my tj its not that bad as a daily driver just be ready to be jerked into the other lane at anytime in either direction

s3nt3nc3d 07-09-2011 01:57 PM

If you don't do a lot of rock crawling and off-roading that involves lifting your tires clear off the ground (which is where lockers are crucial), check out Detroit TrueTracs. You can run them front and rear...they're gear-based limited slip differentials and will give major improvements in traction without allowing your Jeep to get squirrely when you least expect it. The only drawback to an LSD unit is if you rock crawl and you end up in situations where your tires are off the ground, you'll end up stuck. They're pretty comparable in price to Detroit Lockers I believe.

TJ-Q8 07-09-2011 06:18 PM

I dnt mind the clicking of the locker as long as i know that its not hurting it. Soo basically iam hurtig the locker if i do fast tight turns? I can get a truetrac from yukon cuz my friend is a dealer but they cost $600+. My friend on his tj has an aussie in front and on u turn its clunks without 4wd. Soo again i dont mind clunking. But i would want to do something that i wont have tochange in a year or 2.

jrussblues 07-09-2011 08:39 PM

The clicking reminds me its there. I kinda like it.

TJ-Q8 07-10-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues
The clicking reminds me its there. I kinda like it.

Yeah exactly. But i also feel its hurting it. Especially if you go round a turn fast.

s3nt3nc3d 07-10-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-Q8 (Post 1366230)
I dnt mind the clicking of the locker as long as i know that its not hurting it. Soo basically iam hurtig the locker if i do fast tight turns? I can get a truetrac from yukon cuz my friend is a dealer but they cost $600+. My friend on his tj has an aussie in front and on u turn its clunks without 4wd. Soo again i dont mind clunking. But i would want to do something that i wont have tochange in a year or 2.

I hope that $600 is the installed price...unless the prices went up. Last I checked I think they were $400ish.

Here...looked em up on 4wd.com (and you can prolly find em cheaper if you shop around plus they're on "sale"...I'm just giving list prices). Here's also a comparison to the standard Detroit Locker price which is one of the best auto-lockers you can get.

Dana 44 Rear (I'd imagine the 35 is in the ballpark)
Detroit Locker List Price - $599
Detroit TrueTrac List Price - $462

Dana 30 Front
Detroit Locker List Price - $536
Detroit TrueTrac List Price - $395

I tried to add the Truetracs to my cart to see how big of a sale they were having...buuuut their new site is buggy as hell and they don't seem to actually be going into the cart system. Argh...

By the way, that clunking is fine when doing normal driving...the clunking is the locker unlocking for the turns. It's clunking so it DOESN'T damage it.

TJ-Q8 07-10-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d

I hope that $600 is the installed price...unless the prices went up. Last I checked I think they were $400ish.

Here...looked em up on 4wd.com (and you can prolly find em cheaper if you shop around plus they're on "sale"...I'm just giving list prices). Here's also a comparison to the standard Detroit Locker price which is one of the best auto-lockers you can get.

Dana 44 Rear (I'd imagine the 35 is in the ballpark)
Detroit Locker List Price - $599
Detroit TrueTrac List Price - $462

Dana 30 Front
Detroit Locker List Price - $536
Detroit TrueTrac List Price - $395

I tried to add the Truetracs to my cart to see how big of a sale they were having...buuuut their new site is buggy as hell and they don't seem to actually be going into the cart system. Argh...

By the way, that clunking is fine when doing normal driving...the clunking is the locker unlocking for the turns. It's clunking so it DOESN'T damage it.

Noo 600 is not knstalled price. Its expensive because we have to pay big shipping prices. It wont damage even if theturn is fast and it wants to engage? It will fight fight the traction of 33's. And on dry pavement they are pretty hard to fight.

TJ-Q8 07-10-2011 12:35 PM

Bump up

jrussblues 07-10-2011 12:38 PM

Lots of fast turns, no probs here. Mine was only about 300 and i installed it myself. Where is it being shipped to that's so expensive?

Scoob 07-10-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 1367778)
Lots of fast turns, no probs here. Mine was only about 300 and i installed it myself. Where is it being shipped to that's so expensive?

Kuwait according to his profile.

jrussblues 07-10-2011 12:57 PM

Jesus. Now i get it.

TJ-Q8 07-10-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues
Jesus. Now i get it.

Yup for every 1lbs i pay $10. Tgere is many things i pay equal amount for shipping as their original price. But its ojay since it equals out when i pay less for fuel. What if u floor it on a uturn will the locker have enough power to get the other tire spinning? Or will it break. Hehe