Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep FAQ/Stickies (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f105/)
-   -   Bed liner on stock wheels. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f105/bed-liner-on-stock-wheels-101764.html)

El Gringo 07-09-2011 08:25 AM

Bed liner on stock wheels.
 
Howdy,
I have been contemplating this for some time now and I finally did it today, painting my stock wheels with Bed liner.
Initially I was just going to paint the windows on the wheels and leave the face silver. This did not work so well, but I will include the pics anyway.

First, go to the store and buy 2 cans of rustoleum truck bed liner. Be sure that you do not grab 1 can of bed liner and 1 can of undercoating. Stupid walmart people put them both in the same row. guess I should have verified I got the right thing, though.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2301133_n.jpg

Second, pull the spare off the jeep and bring it into your shop/garage/workspace.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8337637_n.jpg
Yes, the sheets have poka-dots on them. No, they are not my sheets. They are my girlfriend's sheets.


Third, Mask off the edges of the face and window area if you are going to paint the windows, so you don't sand the face.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3982073_n.jpg

Fourth, Sand the area to be painted, whether it be the whole wheel or the windows only. I used 200 grit sandpaper so it was not too smooth, but not too rough.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5549245_n.jpg


Fifth, Clean off the dust with some alcohol and a rag.

Sixth, if you are painting the windows, cover the opening with paper/tape.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...0_169365_n.jpg

Seventh, paint from the inside of the wheel, try to get in the corners as much as possible. Then let it dry for about 20 minutes. Peel off the tape/paper and then decide you should have just painted the whole wheel all along. At this time also realize that you sprayed with undercoating, not bed liner.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1692648_n.jpg

Eighth, take the wheel, or another one, back inside and remove the center cap and wheel weight. Save these and mark their location with a little bit of paint of a sharpie. The weights can be popped off gently, but it takes some time. I took a wide standard screwdriver to the open point on the clip of the weight and pried them off. The cap just pushes out from behind.

Ninth, sand the whole entire surface of the wheel, including windows, and clean again.

Tenth, I placed small strips of masking tape around the wheel, right where the rubber meets the rim of the wheel to keep the tire from getting sprayed and them taped huge index cards to make the masked area larger, couldn't figure out how to do the "index card trick".
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2027190_n.jpg

Eleventh, Begin spraying with the bed liner. I sprayed around the rim first, then did the windows, then the face areas. I found this worked the best. You need not do a very thick coat, and don't worry if it has a glossy finish in some areas because it will even out as it dries. Make sure to spray from over a foot away. Let the wheel dry for about 30 minutes.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8159442_n.jpg

Twelfth, While that wheel is drying, start on another a wheel.

Thirteenth, Touch up any areas on the wheel that need more bed liner on them.

El Gringo 07-09-2011 08:32 AM

Fourteenth, after letting the wheel dry for about an hour, take the finished wheel and put the center cap back in and put the weight back in its proper location. To do this, put the weight back where it needs to go, sitting on the edge of the rim and hit is gently with a small ball-pein hammer until it is firmly seated in its place.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8238246_n.jpg

Fifteenth, Take the wheel out to your jeep and put it on.

Sixteenth, have at least 2 beers and repeat until finished.

Here are my results:

Just the windows:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2811957_n.jpg

And the whole wheels:
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2709117_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6976988_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2846569_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4423661_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4556451_n.jpg

Thanks for reading,
-Roger

jmt27 07-09-2011 08:43 AM

Looks good, are you happy with the results? I'm debating on doing the same thing but hesitant

El Gringo 07-09-2011 08:57 AM

Thanks. Yes, very happy with it and really pretty easy. Hardest part was getting the weights off. It satisfied my desire for aftermarket wheels. I will post again on how they hold up. I am not a hardcore off roader, but do go off road every once in a while.

GoldenSahara00 07-09-2011 09:03 AM

I definitely like them blacked out, looks very very good man!

I also like your grill, did you do it?

El Gringo 07-09-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
I definitely like them blacked out, looks very very good man!

I also like your grill, did you do it?

Thanks. Yeah I did the grill too. There would definitely be enough in 2 cans for both. Grill was way easy. I have pretty much bed lined everything on the jeep that you can take off. Windshield brackets, tail light covers, gas cover, wheels, grill, my old bumper. I love that stuff.

GoldenSahara00 07-09-2011 09:23 AM

I have my bumpers done with it and a few other things. I will be doing some more, and just ordered some Raptor Upol liner for the tub :D

I have thought about the grill but just cant decide. it has some unsightly overspray and rust frm the PO. I would like to hit him. haha. and the BL I just put on makes it more visible. I will see if I have any liner left. cant decide if I want to spray of brush it though.

El Gringo 07-09-2011 09:31 AM

I would spray the wheels, they are too intricate to roll I would think.

jmt27 07-09-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo
Thanks. Yes, very happy with it and really pretty easy. Hardest part was getting the weights off. It satisfied my desire for aftermarket wheels. I will post again on how they hold up. I am not a hardcore off roader, but do go off road every once in a while.

That's why I wanna do it hahaha to satisfy my desire for aftermarket! Haha but did u do both sides of the wheels front n back?

El Gringo 07-09-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt27 (Post 1365413)
That's why I wanna do it hahaha to satisfy my desire for aftermarket! Haha but did u do both sides of the wheels front n back?

No, just the front, figured that might mess even more with the balance. I don't have money to get them balanced any time soon so thats why I saved the weights. You could do the inside and out and get them balanced if you wanted. can't really tell that they aren't done on the inside.

jmt27 07-09-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo
No, just the front, figured that might mess even more with the balance. I don't have money to get them balanced any time soon so thats why I saved the weights. You could do the inside and out and get them balanced if you wanted. can't really tell that they aren't done on the inside.

Yeah true, why make it a bigger project then it has to be lol

monkeee2002 07-09-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo (Post 1365299)
Howdy,
... Be sure that you do not grab 1 can of bed liner and 1 can of undercoating. Stupid walmart people put them both in the same row. ...
Glad I'm not the only one who did this!
...
Yes, the sheets have poka-dots on them. No, they are not my sheets. They are my girlfriend's sheets.
... At least she has some for you both - pink dots for her, mud brown dots for you :thumb: ...


Peel off the tape/paper and then decide you should have just painted the whole wheel all along. At this time also realize that you sprayed with undercoating, not bed liner.

... LOLZ :rofl: ...

Nice job! I have to admit, I'm surprised by how well the OEM rims look with bedliner on them :thumb:

El Gringo 07-09-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeee2002 (Post 1365563)
Nice job! I have to admit, I'm surprised by how well the OEM rims look with bedliner on them :thumb:

Yeah, I was pretty pissed when I saw the undercoat can. Yes, they look really good in person. Like a satin black really.

KKhamesi 07-11-2011 10:56 AM

its looks really nice :thumb:... i think i might do what u did

El Gringo 07-11-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKhamesi (Post 1370129)
its looks really nice :thumb:... i think i might do what u did

Thanks. It took me about 4 hours or so, by myself. I was in no big hurry and took lots of breaks, it was only 106 that day with a Heat Index of 111. Lol. If you have a floor jack and some stands you could do them a lot faster, I pretty much did them like 1 or 2 at a time, rotating the spare and leaving the jack under 1 wheel.

jmt27 07-11-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo
Thanks. It took me about 4 hours or so, by myself. I was in no big hurry and took lots of breaks, it was only 106 that day with a Heat Index of 111. Lol. If you have a floor jack and some stands you could do them a lot faster, I pretty much did them like 1 or 2 at a time, rotating the spare and leaving the jack under 1 wheel.

Oh man that had to be a pain lol sounds like alotta wrk rotating them n everything especially in that heat!!

El Gringo 07-11-2011 09:09 PM

I work outside a lot so the heat wasn't really all that bad, but it was just a pain. I was at my girlfriend's so I didn't have my stands and floor jack. It was pretty easy and straight forward. I shouldn't have waited so long to do it. Should have done it 3 months ago when I got it!
Post up some pics on here if you do it, I want so see how other's look!

El Gringo 07-11-2011 09:11 PM

Here is a video I made today for my exhaust and you can see the wheels pretty good in it. They are all dusty, I did some light trail riding yesterday and they look good, just dusty so this could give you a better idea of what they will look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6bly...el_video_title

onroad 07-11-2011 09:18 PM

Wow, I have to admit, when I read the title, I thought it was going to look too gritty. But that looks great. Pretty smooth and just the right shade. Probably pretty durable too.

El Gringo 07-11-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onroad (Post 1371847)
Wow, I have to admit, when I read the title, I thought it was going to look too gritty. But that looks great. Pretty smooth and just the right shade. Probably pretty durable too.

Thanks, yeah this stuff pretty much eats its way into anything you spray it on. I sprayed the windshield brackets backs first let them sit for 24 hrs and I tried and tried and could not get the stuff off, short of using an angle grinder, which honestly did not do as much damage as I would thought it would.
Rustoleum, you have made an awesome product! I will never use any other Bed liner!

onroad 07-11-2011 10:49 PM

Ah ha... now I have an idea for the door hinges that I ding up every time I'm trying to drop the door back in.

El Gringo 07-11-2011 11:03 PM

Didn't even think of that! My girlfriend will likely hate you now for the idea. Anything that has to do with "the mistress" that doesn't involve her she hates. Funny, she's never around when I do these projects to help, she always has something else to do....

jmt27 07-12-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo
I work outside a lot so the heat wasn't really all that bad, but it was just a pain. I was at my girlfriend's so I didn't have my stands and floor jack. It was pretty easy and straight forward. I shouldn't have waited so long to do it. Should have done it 3 months ago when I got it!
Post up some pics on here if you do it, I want so see how other's look!

Defiantly will do! :)

KKhamesi 07-20-2011 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just paint three rims soo far but I have to say they look sexy as hell

TJDrillSergeant 07-22-2011 08:44 AM

anyone try to paint polished aluminum wheels?

KKhamesi 07-22-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDrillSergeant
anyone try to paint polished aluminum wheels?

When I was doing my Bedliner my friend did his in satin black and it turn out pretty nice but he said he might go to bedliner

KKhamesi 07-22-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDrillSergeant
anyone try to paint polished aluminum wheels?

And if u mean ur rims are polished aluminum and u want to paint over them then all u have to do is sand your rims down

GasHog 07-22-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDrillSergeant
anyone try to paint polished aluminum wheels?

Not paint, but had mine powder coated, Matt finish. Really happy with result, looks great and they are really holding up well, they were polished micky t's before

TJDrillSergeant 07-22-2011 11:48 AM

ok i just wanted to make sure the bedliner would stick. gonna start today!

KKhamesi 07-22-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDrillSergeant
ok i just wanted to make sure the bedliner would stick. gonna start today!

I sprayed a primer on my wheels before the bedliner which should help the bedliner to stick a little bit better


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.