Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   tansmission temp gauge.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tansmission-temp-gauge-101833.html)

scgeek12 07-09-2011 05:27 PM

tansmission temp gauge..

i am looking at adding a trans temp gauge to my 99 tj with a 4.0L and ax15 5spd, ive added a trans temp gauge before to my S10 but it was an auto and i just pulled the pan and put it in there, anyone got any good ways of putting one on a manual transmission? i dont mind putting it in the lines if thats the only way to do it but dont know what size T fitting to get?

Scoob 07-09-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgeek12 (Post 1366251)
i am looking at adding a trans temp gauge to my 99 tj with a 4.0L and ax15 5spd, ive added a trans temp gauge before to my S10 but it was an auto and i just pulled the pan and put it in there, anyone got any good ways of putting one on a manual transmission? i dont mind putting it in the lines if thats the only way to do it but dont know what size T fitting to get?

What lines?
A manual tranny doesn't have a cooling system like an auto. It has no need because it doesn't have the wasted energy to burn off like an auto does.

DKarge87 07-09-2011 05:42 PM

Where would you put it in an auto and where would you put the gauge? Pics would be great

scgeek12 07-09-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 1366272)
What lines?
A manual tranny doesn't have a cooling system like an auto. It has no need because it doesn't have the wasted energy to burn off like an auto does.

well than that solves that lol, guess i could have looked at it first (this is my first manual vehicle) if it doesnt need a cooling system is there even any use for a temp gauge then? ive seen a few people who have them , just not sure how they hooked them up :facepalm:

scgeek12 07-09-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKarge87 (Post 1366283)
Where would you put it in an auto and where would you put the gauge? Pics would be great

i had one in my S10 that i put in the dash but i just took the transmission pan down to a muffler shop and had them weld in a helicoil type insert for it to go into, but for my TJ which is a 5spd i was looking at putting it in something like this- 15219 - Gauge Works Center Gauge Pod for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Scoob 07-09-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgeek12 (Post 1366287)
well than that solves that lol, guess i could have looked at it first (this is my first manual vehicle) if it doesnt need a cooling system is there even any use for a temp gauge then? ive seen a few people who have them , just not sure how they hooked them up :facepalm:

Yeh there is really no need for a temp gauge on a manual tranny. Unless you were pulling a heavy trailer all the time. Since there is no pan you would pretty much have to tap and drill the tranny case to mount the sending unit.

scgeek12 07-09-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 1366378)
Yeh there is really no need for a temp gauge on a manual tranny. Unless you were pulling a heavy trailer all the time. Since there is no pan you would pretty much have to tap and drill the tranny case to mount the sending unit.

thats all i needed to know, thanks doesnt seem like it would be worth it at all, i dont tow anything at all