Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Full SOA sticky?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  1BLKJP 
#1 ·
Maybe I'm crazy, but I just find it odd that there's no "official" YJ SOA sticky. Granted, there a lot of ways to do it, and different companies suggest different things but there should be some sort of basic guidelines, right?

Searching through the forums (which turned out be somewhat frustrating as the search function eliminated the terms "over" and "soa") I found a lot of different information, some holding common ties, some not.

Would it be possible to make a sticky for the YJ SOA with the following:

1) Companies that offer full SOA kits/and or components
2) What to stay away from
3) "Average" cost (this can vary greatly from what I understand)
4) Terms...what exactly is an SYE (outlined in other thread), what is CV shaft, heim joints, etc.
5) More as needed

Since I've been part of this forum, I've seen a lot of these questions brought up frequently, yet it's not really part of the FAQ sticky or anything.

Just a thought

See less See more
#3 ·
To be honest there is so much information avavilable on SOA swaps any more I think it is just an over site. It is a good idea though.
It has been so long since I have built an SOA and so much new stuff is available I will stay out of it.
If you need any more info I did find this with lots of info. If you have any specific questions I will try to help.

SOA info

#4 ·
Hey this doesn't contribute much to your quest for the SOA sticky, but I wanted to share this SOA kit with everyone that may not know about it. It's a 6.5" completely bolt-on SOA kit that seems to be very well designed and built. When I came across it, I was impressed not only because of the cost, but also because I don't weld and I can install this myself. Anyway, before I start sounding like a salesman...check it out.:cool:

http://www.rocky-road.com/yjspoa.html

#5 ·
Does that Rocky Road kit include an SYE?

#6 ·
No, and it says that they recommend that you use one as well as a cv style driveshaft. I've been told that you can run a Rubicon express SOA without an SYE, but that it puts you right at the ragged edge of failure. And that SOA gives you 5.5". The rocky road SOA gives you 6.5", (I assume because of the bolt-on perches/mounts), so I figure an SYE is probably required.

#7 ·
I definitely agree with you. However I will tell you why the "Staff" has never done a full SOA sticky thread. None of us have YJ's. Hackle is a good friend of mine and his YJ has gone thru so many changes in the last couple years that SOA doesn't even apply to him anymore. :D

If someone wanted to do a write up on their SOA project and we thought it was complete enough to sticky it, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Keep building fella's. It's you all that drive the forum.

#8 ·
Spearhunter, a bolt on SOA kit may work for you in Florida as you are doing mostly mud.
Personaly for the rocks we in AZ run a bolt on kit looses one of the best features of a SOA "Nothing below the axle to hang up"
Also to add to that I would not use a bolt on kit due to the torque in a high traction area. Heck I spun a tube on a welded 8.8 axle SOA with a traction bar. I would rather have my perches welded in place. To each there own.
BTW my soa YJ would out flex all but 2 or 3 of the built TJ's on the ramp at a local party with 100's of jeeps. SOA works good.

#9 ·
Probably a dumb question, but instead of adding extra components, why can't you just make longer front and rear driveshafts?

#10 ·
U-joints are only good up to a certain angle. A CV joint due to how it is built is able to handle larger angles which are caused by the added lift and the added travel of the suspension. I hope this answers your question.
Jim

#11 ·
I want to make sure I'm understanding this. I know that an SYE gets rid of the slip yoke, hence the name. Does the SYE sub an attaching point similar to the u-joint setup on the rear axle?

Also, is it possible to use just a CV driveshaft without an SYE to simplify things or would the lack of the SYE create more problems?

#12 ·
The SYE makes it so you can have a longer drive shaft and make up for the room lost by adding the CV joint. I would guess that you could have a drive shaft build with the CV joint and keep the slip yoke but your drive shaft would be so short you just added to the angle problem you already had.

#13 ·
So the next question I have is this:

Suppose you don't have the money for the full kit yet. Would it be possible to add just the SYE and put a u-joint style coupling on the front of the driveshaft as well as shortening it slightly?

Or would the SYE without the CV setup cause similar problems as the CV without the SYE?

Note at this point the springs are still under the axle, the only two changes would be the SYE and a modified driveshaft

Part of the reason I'm asking these questions is a)to get things worked out as to what can and (generally) cannot be done when doing a SOA for future reference on the board and b)my friend about had heart failure when he first saw the cost of a SOA kit.

#14 ·
When you go with the SYE you are eliminating the ability for the stock drive shaft to adjust in length as the syspension cycles. It is constantly sliding back and forth on the slip yoke as you drive. You have to get a shaft with a slip joint in the middle so it can lenghten and shorten as the suspension cycles.

#15 ·
So basically, you have to do both the SYE and the CV at the same time or you'll really mess things up, correct?

#16 ·
Basically there is no way to do an SYE and not have a CV style driveshaft built at the same time.

That is unless you just aren't going to run with a rear shaft for awhile and just use front wheel drive.

#17 ·
Now would it be possible to do the SYE and CV without the spring over or does the CV need to be made to a very specific size?

#18 ·
That is where it gets kind of tricky. Because custom driveshafts aren't cheap no matter how you look at them. So having either get one made twice or to have it modified isn't what you really want to be doing. If your jeep is sitting with no lift on it today (or minimal lift) and then you go and SOA it, then the length of your dshaft is going to change. I always suggest to people to do the SYE and Shaft after you have your lift in. If you have to go to the internet to order a shaft then it should only take a few days and if you can order one locally it should only take a couple max to have it built. You can drive on FWD for that long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.