Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Yet another 4LO Question... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/yet-another-4lo-question-102055.html)

leadZERO 07-11-2011 11:24 AM

Yet another 4LO Question...

Had my Jeep almost 2 months now... Took me a few tries to learn how to get into 4LO without excessive grinding or killing the engine. My question is, can you be moving in reverse while going into 4LO? I'm not much of a gearhead, but my understanding is that you need to be just barely moving so that the gears in the transfer case mesh together, rather than binding or skimming (my word not sure what you'd call it ie grinding if you're moving too fast). In that case, any movement of the driveshafts (again, not sure if that's the right word, whatever connects the transfer case to the differentials), either forward or reverse should be sufficient to engage the gears, correct?

My other question, let's say you forgot to engage 4LO and ended up stuck. Since I have a manual, couldn't I try to engage 4LO while not moving by letting out the clutch just enough to where it's putting a little pressure on the transfer case gears and simultaneously engage 4LO? Just a little pressure from the transmission (again, pardon my improper verbiage if that is the case) should be enough to give the gears some movement so they don't bind.

And my final question... I've seen a lot of mention about not shifting a manual when going through water or mud. Is the transmission not a sealed enclosure?

So, to recap:

#1 Can you be moving in reverse to engage 4LO?

#2 On a manual, can you use the clutch to "simulate" enough movement so the transfer case gears mesh?

#3 Why no shifting a manual in water/mud?

Thanks,
Ryan

GREEN-MACHINE 07-11-2011 12:08 PM

1- not sure about 6 speed, but i do it with my auto. ( easy if stopped in N )

2-sorry no help here

3- because water dirt crap can get between pressure plate and clutch plate,,,, very bad imo,,,,, but some times ya gotta do what ya gottA DO

SilverSport 07-11-2011 12:30 PM

Not sure which transfer case you have. I have the Rock-Trac transfer case and tried the method listed in the owners manual and was met with nothing but grinding. So I went back to the old school method.
1) Jeep stopped.
2) 6 speed in Neutral.
3) Clutch out.

Shifts in and out of 4LO like a charm everytime!

daggo66 07-11-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadZERO (Post 1370063)

#1 Can you be moving in reverse to engage 4LO?

Yes.

Quote:

#2 On a manual, can you use the clutch to "simulate" enough movement so the transfer case gears mesh?

No. "moving" is the operative word.

Quote:

#3 Why no shifting a manual in water/mud?

Thanks,
Ryan

As mentioned, dirt and water can get in, however you can start in 4L without using the clutch. Yet another reason to already be in 4L.

Read your manual. There is a lot of good information regarding driving off road and using your TC.

Charcoal2010 07-11-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi (Post 1370234)
Not sure which transfer case you have. I have the Rock-Trac transfer case and tried the method listed in the owners manual and was met with nothing but grinding. So I went back to the old school method.
1) Jeep stopped.
2) 6 speed in Neutral.
3) Clutch out.

I agree. I have never been moving when switching into 4LO. 4H maybe but it works just fine.

leadZERO 07-11-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi (Post 1370234)
1) Jeep stopped.
2) 6 speed in Neutral.
3) Clutch out.

I should have mentioned, I have the Rubicon...

Interesting, what's the mechanical difference between neutral/cluth out and cluth in that means you're able to do it while stopped?

jeepjones 07-11-2011 01:19 PM

For numbers 1 & 2: Why would you want to or need to do this at all ????????????????

SilverSport 07-11-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadZERO (Post 1370348)
I should have mentioned, I have the Rubicon...

Interesting, what's the mechanical difference between neutral/cluth out and cluth in that means you're able to do it while stopped?

Can't give you the technical answer, but trying to enter 4LO while moving at less than 3 mph resulted in grinding. Trying to shift into 4 LO while stopped and clutch in resulted in grinding.

But the method I listed works everytime. If you should find the lever is hard to move into 4LO while stopped, don't force it. Put the tranny in gear and let the clutch out just enough until you the gears in the transfer case mesh, gently pull back on the lever and it will slip in.