Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   YJ AX15 Trans Removal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-ax15-trans-removal-102076.html)

Benjamb 07-11-2011 01:00 PM

YJ AX15 Trans Removal

My clutch slave cylinder has crapped out. I am getting ready to pull the transmission to install the replacement. Anyone have any guidance, warnings or suggestions before I start work? I have a '90 YJ with the 4.2 liter. I will be working with the Chilton and Hayes Manuals. Thanks!

WranglerRick 07-11-2011 06:47 PM

Pretty straight forward. I didn't have any issues when I did mine.

Nickabis 07-11-2011 07:04 PM

A tranny jack or second pair of hands. It's weighted awkward when removing the tranny with the transfer case. Don't forget to remove the shifters.

Ggg 07-11-2011 07:21 PM

While it is out make sure you can remove both the fill and drain plugs from both the trans and t-case. Then do a fluid change. Depending on the mileage it is also a good time to r/r the clutch since everything is out.

billy_YJ 08-27-2011 08:07 PM

r/r???

I am about to replace my tranny, so I did a search and found this thread. I do believe I will go ahead and do the clutch as well.

Nickabis 08-28-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy_YJ
r/r???

r/r = remove & replace

If you have any questions on the project, post it!

billy_YJ 08-28-2011 07:09 PM

I sure will...

I've been reading up on here & in the Haynes manual to familiarize myself with everything before starting. I think I will create some type of wooden adapter for the cradle of my floor jack since I don't have a tranny jack.

Benjamb 08-29-2011 06:54 AM

I did not have a tranny jack so I removed the panel around the shifter in the floor of the Jeep and ran straps around the roll bar and down through the panel and around the transmission. I also removed the transfer case seperately to reduce the weight. With the straps you can slowly lower the trans without a risk that it will roll off your single point jack.

billy_YJ 08-29-2011 11:38 AM

Good suggestion, I may try that.

Ordered tranny today, should be here Friday, plan to swap over the weekend.

dpoe001 08-29-2011 06:08 PM

i used a motorcycle jack to lower my tranny it is wide enough to lower transfercase and tranny without unbolting them i only had to replace the throwout bearing (one with 5 miles on it went bad)

RockinWrangler77 08-31-2011 03:25 PM

there may be a revese torx on the upper right its a pain to get out mine had one on it

billy_YJ 09-04-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinWrangler77 (Post 1527511)
there may be a revese torx on the upper right its a pain to get out mine had one on it

There are a pair of those "star" heads... PITA!!!

I have one out, and called it a night on the other. I'm heading back out to the garage to tackle the other one. WHY Jeep, WHY? :banghead:

billy_YJ 09-04-2011 03:00 PM

bell housing, tranny, & t case OUT!

4 Attachment(s)
looks like I have a busted rear seal based on the amount of oil residue inside the bell housing. I'm going to replace that, the clutch, and then take my time cleaning & switching over the bell housing, t case, and shift tower to the new tranny.

I have learned so much with this. :thumb:

I will also recommend a proper transmission jack for any one else who is going to pull their AX 15/AX 5. Does anyone know if any of the major auto parts stores rents tranny jacks???:cool:

jk'n 09-04-2011 08:40 PM

That new tranny looks sexy on that bench! :D ... just sayin' :whistling:

I bought a tranny jack at harbor freight before I got started. Don't know if I'll be using it again soon but the purchase price wasn't all that bad. I think it was $130.00 on sale. I just went and looked and it is on sale right now for $140.00. Use it once and give it away. I'm storing mine in the corner of the garage until the next transmission job or one of my friends wants to use it. It made dealing with the dead weight of the transmission and transfer case pretty easy compared to working without it.

I got a set of the reverse torx sockets for my socket wrench and it made quick work out of the two starter bolts. The hardest part of my transmission removal was getting the top two bolts out. I ended up using a 1/2 in drive hammer drill by dewalt and hammered the shlt out of it. They finally broke free. I highly suggest using all six sided sockets or you'll rip up our bolt heads trying to break them loose. I've replaced just about all of the seals. I'm not looking forward to having it down again in a long time.

Best of luck.

billy_YJ 09-05-2011 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 66521Here are the 2 PITA starter bolts. As you can see we tore one up pretty bad. I think I am going to replace these with some hex heads when installing. :D

billy_YJ 09-05-2011 01:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
out with the old, in with the new.

Now on the shift tower of the transmisison... When I removed the shifter there was what used to be a hard rubber ring(oil seal: Item #4 here... AX15 Transmission Parts) that sits down in the shift tower. Only about a third of the seal was left and it was in 2 pieces. The rest was crumbled and ground all in there. I know a good bit had to have got in the transmission.

Could this have caused my transmission to fail?

What makes this hard rubber seal crumble like this?

Hoosierbird 09-05-2011 06:36 AM

Looking good, just stay at it.........you'll be back on the road in no time.:thumb:

jk'n 09-05-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy_YJ (Post 1540885)
out with the old, in with the new.

Could this have caused my transmission to fail?

What makes this hard rubber seal crumble like this?

Mine was cracked and there was a good bit of sand and crud in the shifter tower. I cleaned it all out. Doesn't look as nice as yours though but that is what you would expect with a nicely rebuilt transmission. And yes, once crud starts getting into the transmission and mixing with the oil, it is only a matter of time before bad things begin happening. The rubber starts to dry out and with the action of shifting, the small boot begins to break up and fall in. I think I got mine before too much damage was done. I'm going to fill mine with cheap 30 weight oil and let it run for 2 weeks or so and change it out so that the inside of the transmission can have a nice soaking bath. The same with the transfer case as it too has had some compromise due to a leaky output seal to the front drive shaft. There was some sand and crud behind the seal on that one too. Cleaned it out and I'm thinking of putting some ATF +4 in a spray bottle to rinse that area down before putting the new seal in and filling it.

billy_YJ 09-10-2011 09:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Install Day!!!

Finally got everything cleaned & coated under the Jeep. Ready to replace rear main seal, put new clutch in, then get that transmission back in. Replacing my shifter boot, transfer case lever handle isolator(it wobbled a bit when shift to/from 4WD), and of course the shift tower oil seal. I'm also replacing those 2 PITA starter bolts with hex heads.

Geno 09-10-2011 09:42 AM

Lookin good! I love it when everything is sooo clean.

eglide 09-10-2011 03:41 PM

What was wrong with old trans?

Hoosierbird 09-10-2011 05:50 PM

Did you have to give your tranny for a core?:whistling:

billy_YJ 09-10-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eglide (Post 1557778)
What was wrong with old trans?

Read the next post... :nonono:

billy_YJ 09-10-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosierbird (Post 1558004)
Did you have to give your tranny for a core?:whistling:

I sure did man... I ended up paying $915(after the core & including s&h both ways).

billy_YJ 09-10-2011 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Man that was a long 8 hours!!! All done. We finished up just before dark & I was excited to take an evening test drive. Fired ole "Blue" up and pushed in the clutch to shift through the gears... man that new transmission is tight. I slide it into first eased off the clutch but NOTHING! :facepalm: I lose it for a split second and scream "GDSOAMFB" really loud :banghead: Then I look at the positive... Good news: I have a new transmission, Bad news: It is the rear differential gears, Good news: I get a new axle... maybe even one with disc brakes :cool:

I guess it's all part of the learning process. :p

Help me here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/i-n...ml#post1558339

billy_YJ 09-11-2011 12:21 AM

Found these guys and they are LOCAL here in Raleigh, NC!!!
Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep YJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap
I will be going with the Ford 8.8(no more drums!)

Hoosierbird 09-11-2011 05:19 AM

If you buy one, post lots of pics of it.:thumb:

ISUSteve 09-11-2011 09:46 AM

Billy, what did you do to your Jeep to cause the transmission and rear end to fail?

billy_YJ 09-21-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISUSteve (Post 1559620)
Billy, what did you do to your Jeep to cause the transmission and rear end to fail?

I guess I wasn't clear in post #25. It was the rear end the whole time. Tranny was good! Because I have been grinding occasionally I just KNEW it was the tranny, so I did not troubleshoot further :facepalm:

From what I have learned the D35 w/ 33's is a time bomb if you do any off roading. I heard a popping sound coming from what I thought was the transmission a couple times off road... then on the way home from that trail ride... a BIG POP and that was all she wrote. After pricing new gears in the D35, it's just not worth it since I plan to keep ole "Blue" forever, so I am taking this opportunity to upgrade the rear axle :dance:

billy_YJ 09-21-2011 11:29 PM

Here we go again...

3 Attachment(s)
So back to my tranny swap :whistling: I mean rear axle swap... :rofl:

I pulled the D35 tonight in anticipation of taking delivery of the remanufactured Ford 8.8 on Friday after work. :dance:

Since I do not have the skills of Hoosierbird & BlackedoutYJ I ended up purchasing a "bolt on" from East Coast Gear Supply here in Raleigh. Sadly, I ended up spending a little more than I wanted because the 8.8's @4.10 are in high demand(Damn Jeepers). To get a 4.10 I had to purchase all new gears, because all the used 4.10's were TAKEN :eek: So when I get it I will have all new gears, bearings, pads, rotors, etc. I'm pretty excited.