Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Anyone ever lost a lug nut? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/anyone-ever-lost-a-lug-nut-102155.html)

Kevbz 07-11-2011 10:46 PM

Anyone ever lost a lug nut?

I lost five today...whats that you ask, 5? and all on the same wheel. But isnt there only 5 to begin with...why yes there is!

I got so lucky, somehow all 5 came loose on my driver rear, when the wheel finally came off, the drum/axle fell and cought the wheel and i made it to the side of the highway (rush hour slower traffic)

I thought i snapped an axle, I couldnt believe it was the wheel. It was 101 degrees today, and i have aluminum wheels, expansion maybe...but all 5!!??

I think I better read up on my life insurance policy. One lug was even a locking lug nut, and i had driven it 80 miles prior to it happening.

I know the wife just found out i have been making unauthorized purchases with my Paypal account but jeez...all 5 lugs, thats diabolical?

and none of the other three wheels had even loose lugs.

toby_tyler 07-11-2011 11:12 PM

I would lock yourself in a padded room or something. Thats final destination stuff right there. Have enemies? Thats just crazy.

BLK00TJ 07-11-2011 11:23 PM

I wonder if someone was trying to steal your wheels and got interupted. How bad was the damage?

You might want to check your wife's hands to see if they are roughed up from working with tools ;)

s3nt3nc3d 07-11-2011 11:42 PM

I just replaced all of my lugnuts today since I had those stupid 2 piece ones with the chrome caps that kept falling off (taking them from a 3/4" to an 18mm)...I think I'm going to go retorque them all right about now.......

rrich 07-12-2011 12:26 AM

It's a bad sign if your wife gets mad and takes it out on your nuts!

s3nt3nc3d 07-12-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrich (Post 1372283)
It's a bad sign if your wife gets mad and takes it out on your nuts!

On the plus side...until he lost them all, he was the ultimate man. He had 5 nuts. lol

Kevbz 07-12-2011 05:01 PM

She looked pretty sincere when she said "whats a lug nut?"

I worked next to my jeep all day and no one got close to it...i drove a long way before it came off.

And today...i checked them before and after work...like I will for the next week...cause i'm paranoid now.

At my speed I think I would of been ok, but could you imagine a 33"x 12.50 BFG A/T cruzing down the highway...my insurance guy would of loved that...

RAINCO 07-12-2011 05:03 PM

Never lost one.

Kevbz 07-12-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 1372094)
I wonder if someone was trying to steal your wheels and got interupted. How bad was the damage?

the studs were toasted, had to replace all 5 of them, the stud holes on the rim were a bit chewed up from resting on the studs, but not enought to warrent a new rim. AND...one pair of boxers not worth keeping.

NHrubicon 07-12-2011 05:10 PM

My great and wise mechanic told me there are DIFFERENT lugnuts for aluminum rims compared to steel rims-and you can't swap them back and forth. The wrong lugnuts on aluminum rims will distort the holes in the rim, wear it down, grind it larger-and then your nuts are loose. He showed me the damage starting on the stock aluminum rims I had taken from my TJ and put under my YJ. He replaced them all with the right ones.
I couldn't tell you what the difference is-but do know that the son of a friend bought one set of the aluminum rims from me and put them under his XJ, and at 35 mph one front wheel came right off and went across the highway without him. Looking at the rim when the rest of us got there you could see the holes were eggshaped.

scgeek12 07-12-2011 05:10 PM

i had something similar happen on my s10, put new rotors and pads up front and drove it for about 2 weeks when i started getting some weird vibes on the way home from school then i hear some loud ass popping noises (the lugs popping off), i was lucky enough to hear them and i pulled into a parking lot and found all of the studs running through the brake discs had pulled completely thru the disc and taken my lugs with them, that was the last duralast item i will ever buy.

BLK00TJ 07-12-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevbz (Post 1373950)
...my insurance guy would of loved that...

Auto or life insurance?