Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Motorcycle foot rest (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/motorcycle-foot-rest-102368.html)

frank70th 07-13-2011 09:55 AM

Motorcycle foot rest
 
Has anyone ever heard of or fabricated a motorcycle style foot rest for use with the doors off. Was thinking it could be mounted to the lower door hinge. Might not be terribly legal bit I am thinking it would be cool.

Motorbreath 07-13-2011 10:13 AM

Yes. I saw these on eBay a bit ago.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=39349658474

1222 07-13-2011 10:15 AM

Iíve seen something similar and it looks stupid as hell. Also nice way to break your leg too.
:)

rics1997 07-13-2011 10:46 AM

It is a safety issue to the driver and others but many still do this mod and get very mad if you bring up the safety issues related to it.

Buddha 07-13-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 1375908)
Iíve seen something similar and it looks stupid as hell. Also nice way to break your leg too.
:)

My wife was threatening to join this forum just so she could "Amen" you so I'm doing it for her in the hopes that she won't join and I won't have to start watching what I say... So here's your "Amen" :thumb:

She thinks I'm an idiot for riding with my foot on the step. I keep telling her I'm just trying to cool off my junk. :rofl:

Hilldweller 07-13-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 1375908)
Iíve seen something similar and it looks stupid as hell. Also nice way to break your leg too.
:)

Yup.
Goes on the list of assinine mods.

1222 07-13-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha (Post 1376104)
My wife was threatening to join this forum just so she could "Amen" you so I'm doing it for her in the hopes that she won't join and I won't have to start watching what I say... So here's your "Amen" :thumb:

She thinks I'm an idiot for riding with my foot on the step. I keep telling her I'm just trying to cool off my junk. :rofl:

Just drive with your pants down, itís safer and who knows, maybe youíll get lucky. Be careful of the bees though.:rofl:

P.S. If you havenít noticed, your wife is a very smart girl and you should take her advice.:thumb:
:)

kjeeper10 07-13-2011 12:33 PM

Why's it so "dangerous"? Bikers don't drive with their feet on the handlebars ??

Hilldweller 07-13-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1376233)
Why's it so "dangerous"? Bikers don't drive with their feet on the handlebars ??

It's a very vulnerable spot on a Jeep, even with good sliders.
I've seen many vehicles do the "flop" unexpectedly while on rides. An arm or leg on the outside becomes sacrificial meat.
I did the flop once myself...

kjeeper10 07-13-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
It's a very vulnerable spot on a Jeep, even with good sliders.
I've seen many vehicles do the "flop" unexpectedly while on rides. An arm or leg on the outside becomes sacrificial meat.
I did the flop once myself...

I can see trouble if your off road. But cruising on the pavement, I don't see a problem.

Buddha 07-13-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 1376198)
Just drive with your pants down, itís safer and who knows, maybe youíll get lucky. Be careful of the bees though.:rofl:

P.S. If you havenít noticed, your wife is a very smart girl and you should take her advice.:thumb:
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 1376259)
...I've seen many vehicles do the "flop" unexpectedly while on rides. An arm or leg on the outside becomes sacrificial meat.
I did the flop once myself...

If I drive with my pants down I do the flop... :D

tysalem 07-13-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

I can see trouble if your off road. But cruising on the pavement, I don't see a problem.

I agree. I'll rest my foot on the lower hinge from time to time while driving around town. Off road is another story, it's just plain dumb. Plus I can't possibly do it because I'm constantly working the clutch.
If the road is wide open with no cars near you, I don't see a problem with it.

kjeeper10 07-13-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysalem

I agree. I'll rest my foot on the lower hinge from time to time while driving around town. Off road is another story, it's just plain dumb. Plus I can't possibly do it because I'm constantly working the clutch.
If the road is wide open with no cars near you, I don't see a problem with it.

Forgot about the clutch (duh) that limits the rest time :( especially city driving.

frank70th 07-13-2011 06:15 PM

Ha. Great responses. I am somewhere in the middle here. I see the dangers off roading, and i drive an Automatic. No off roading (yet). Plus I am a big guy and once I took the door off I realized how much the door is holding my leg in! So i've been resting my foot on the side rail anyway! Just figured it'd be comfy. Like highway pegs on a harley!!

frank70th 07-13-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorbreath
Yes. I saw these on eBay a bit ago.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=39349658474

Thanks! I bought this.

Hilldweller 07-14-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank70th (Post 1377073)
Like highway pegs on a harley!!

Highway pegs on motorcycles also contribute to safety problems.

I was at Deals Gap years ago on a hot run and my highway peg dug into the tarmac as I was leaned-over in a turn. It pole-vaulted me and caused a level-10 pucker factor. I got to the Crossroads of Time and removed the pegs; they're on The Tree of Shame now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.