Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Replaced Stock Head Unit- Free to good home. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/replaced-stock-head-unit-free-to-good-home-102494.html)

fleanine 07-14-2011 06:01 AM

Replaced Stock Head Unit- Free to good home.
 
Hey all, first time poster here... I have recently upgraded my 99 Wrangler sound system with a new Alpine CDA-105 head unit and new Polk 4x6's in the dash. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm sure it's been said before, but TOTALLY worth the money.The head unit was $149 from Crutchfield, and the Polk DB461P's I found on amazon for $60.

I did the wiring myself with the kit from Crutchfield, and after a bit of color-coding craziness from the supplied harness, I had the head unit in and functional. So nice to see that "iPod" flashing on the screen, and doing away with the old tape deck adapter!

The Polks were a different story.
I pulled them out of the box and held them up to the area where the old ones were, and was unpleasantly surprised when I realized they wouldn't just screw in to the same holes. They were way off, and the existing speakers were "longer". After a bit of debating how to best solve this issue without going to a store, I decided to hollow out the old stock speakers and removing all center material (cones and magnets) with a pair of tin snips and a Dremel... using what was left to form a "bracket" of sorts for the new Polks which have a smaller footprint and couldn't be mounted "directly" to the existing frame in the vehicle, so they needed the extra meat around them to reach to existing holes. Worked out great.
I do have a few pics of my (labeled) wiring if anyone ends up getting the same adapter kit from Crutchfield and needs a bit of the reference leg work out of the way, I'd be happy to post.

ALSO, I have the old head unit which is in perfect working order FREE to a good home if you can use it. I just hate to throw functional equipment away. Figured this is a good place to offer it up.

fleanine 07-14-2011 08:06 AM

Wiring Labels 99 Wrangler
 
Here's the labeled diagram I came up with to help visually while installing. It may help. It may not. Either way, here it is.

http://www.toomanymorons.com/99wiring.jpg

desertgoose 07-14-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleanine (Post 1378410)
Here's the labeled diagram I came up with to help visually while installing. It may help. It may not. Either way, here it is.

http://www.toomanymorons.com/99wiring.jpg

:thumb: Nice, I like that! What program did you use to add the text on the pictures? How much louder is the new setup?

fleanine 07-14-2011 10:50 AM

I used photoshop to add the text, figured I went through a good amount of time to figure all this out.. hated to just toss all that useful information.

I ended up leaving the Pioneer 5.25"s in the sound bar (for now), getting WAY more tone out of those now just by swapping the head unit.
The new Polks add VERY CLEAR highs and crisp vocals with no distortion- snare drums are punchy as hell. Its a pleasure to hear what comes out of my speakers now.
If drive around with the top down/ doors out I can hear the majority of what I'm listening too (as opposed to before where i felt the sound was just flying out the back).

The only thing I really want to do now is add some bass. Looking into an affordable amp/sub combo without sacrificing too much space, or breaking the piggy bank.

With the new head unit you can input an iPod or usb drive to get the tunes into the stereo with a direct connection that also charges the iPod .. no tape deck adapters, cigarette lighter charges and headphone jacks for me anymore.
Throw the ipod in the ("lockable") glove compartment instead of the little tray on the top of the dash, and its less likely that anyone would even know there is an iPod in the Jeep.

http://www.toomanymorons.com/jeepstereo.jpg

Mikekaz1 07-14-2011 11:13 AM

I just put in a sub and amp along with a six point speaker system. Absolutely LOVE it! Just got done installing yesterday.

desertgoose 07-14-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleanine (Post 1378750)

The only thing I really want to do now is add some bass. Looking into an affordable amp/sub combo without sacrificing too much space, or breaking the piggy bank.



If you are handy or know someone who can work with wood and fiberglass you could try what I did: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/fin...box-97996.html I mounted my amp under the driver seat, someday I'll get a better amp and suspend it off the floor to keep it from swimming if caught topless in the rain. :D

Or you could get a powered subwoofer or amplified bass tube. I hear they sound ok.

fleanine 07-14-2011 01:13 PM

I have been considering making my own enclosure... yours looks pretty slick.

I used to have a Bazooka tube in my 1st Jeep, and it was pretty good, but I had upgraded that 2 JL audio 10" in a sub box- and now it'd be hard to go back to the bass tube, losing a bit of bass when the top is off.
However, it did serve its purpose for the amount of $ I spent at the time.

Now I'd like to do more of the install myself, and save money... put some of what I save in labor toward better speakers/ amp.
We'll see what happens.

Mikekaz1 07-14-2011 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My sub box. 10" downfiring

TBrownSTL 07-14-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleanine
Hey all, first time poster here... I have recently upgraded my 99 Wrangler sound system with a new Alpine CDA-105 head unit and new Polk 4x6's in the dash. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm sure it's been said before, but TOTALLY worth the money.The head unit was $149 from Crutchfield, and the Polk DB461P's I found on amazon for $60.

I did the wiring myself with the kit from Crutchfield, and after a bit of color-coding craziness from the supplied harness, I had the head unit in and functional. So nice to see that "iPod" flashing on the screen, and doing away with the old tape deck adapter!

The Polks were a different story.
I pulled them out of the box and held them up to the area where the old ones were, and was unpleasantly surprised when I realized they wouldn't just screw in to the same holes. They were way off, and the existing speakers were "longer". After a bit of debating how to best solve this issue without going to a store, I decided to hollow out the old stock speakers and removing all center material (cones and magnets) with a pair of tin snips and a Dremel... using what was left to form a "bracket" of sorts for the new Polks which have a smaller footprint and couldn't be mounted "directly" to the existing frame in the vehicle, so they needed the extra meat around them to reach to existing holes. Worked out great.
I do have a few pics of my (labeled) wiring if anyone ends up getting the same adapter kit from Crutchfield and needs a bit of the reference leg work out of the way, I'd be happy to post.

ALSO, I have the old head unit which is in perfect working order FREE to a good home if you can use it. I just hate to throw functional equipment away. Figured this is a good place to offer it up.

Will u pay for shipping. I live in Missouri and my headunit is fried.

desertgoose 07-14-2011 01:19 PM

Surprisingly mine sounds best with the top off. I don't get it, but very pleased as it sounds good either way especially being only a 8". I gave up on filling trunks or storage space with stereo equipment, I need that space for camping stuff, freedom tops or groceries.

Mikekaz1 07-14-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose
Surprisingly mine sounds best with the top off. I don't get it, but very pleased as it sounds good either way especially being only a 8". I gave up on filling trunks or storage space with stereo equipment, I need that space for camping stuff, freedom tops or groceries.

I agree. It kinda sucks having absolutely no storage anymore. But hey. Sacrifices.

fleanine 07-14-2011 01:31 PM

@tbrown:
If you're down with paying for the shipping, I can box this up tomorrow and mail it out to you. Glad to hear someone can make use of it. It works fine and i was using it until 3 days ago when I swapped it out.
Wouldn't hurt to run a head cleaner thru the tape deck if you can still find one somewhere. Go ahead and PM me your mailing address.

peterc 07-15-2011 11:09 AM

Fleanine, this sounds nice, and I was looking for some added sound and quality without putting out $1,000. So you don't have an amp right? And so you can hear almost everything with the top down like on the highway? Thanks!

fleanine 07-16-2011 08:09 AM

No amp added,the new alpine head unit has much more output than the factory installed unit. The sound bar speakers are the stock pioneers, which I was going to replace too, but they actually sound good now, so I don't mind waiting a while to do those. Like I said earlier, all I really need now is a bit more bass, but thats just me. At least I can hear all that good stuff I was missing before, and for 60 dollars you REALLY can't go wrong with those Polk 4x6s.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P1FR2QZ7GTQSS0


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.