Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Are the serious Rock Crawlers... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/are-the-serious-rock-crawlers-102802.html)

Masterdale 07-16-2011 11:30 AM

Are the serious Rock Crawlers...

...usually automatics or stick shift? I've been wondering this as a stick owner...seems like there would be a huge amount of clutch slipping with a standard.

If there are stick shift crawlers, is the life of a clutch compromised with all the slipping?

tysalem 07-16-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterdale (Post 1383899)
...usually automatics or stick shift? I've been wondering this as a stick owner...seems like there would be a huge amount of clutch slipping with a standard.

If there are stick shift crawlers, is the life of a clutch compromised with all the slipping?

You'll find that the serious rock crawlers prefer auto's.

I think having a manual makes off roading a little more challenging and fun, for me at least.

I have to expect that the life of the clutch decreases fairly quick while crawling. Although... when in 4 low, you do not have to use the clutch as often, because of the no-stall feature(not sure what it is really called). When you hit the brakes, the engine works at higher rpm's to keep it going.

MTH 07-16-2011 11:47 AM

From what I've heard, rock crawlers are usually autos. Trails and everything else split the difference pretty equally based on preference.

Comac90 07-16-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterdale (Post 1383899)

Been there, done that ... Auto without question. When running, say, Patzcuaro's Revenge in Las Cruces, a torque converter can be a good thing.:thumb:
:D

T

JIMBOX 07-16-2011 12:11 PM

:whistling:---AUTO---

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Irongrave 07-16-2011 12:23 PM

If your getting stupid with what your wheeling an auto is nicer. one less thing to worry about when you start adding split sicks, cutting brakes, ect.

Geoff@Bestop 07-16-2011 12:28 PM

It's not just rock crawlers. Most auto sports are moving to autos. Or at least getting rid of the clutch pedal.

I read somewhere that Rhys Millen had problems with his auto at this year's Pike's Peak race, and swapped to a stick at the last second. But look what that tells you: even on that uphill race with dozens of 1st gear corners, people are trying to go with autos.

F1 racing outlawed fully automatic gearboxes, but they are clutchless, and use paddle shifts.

JIMBOX 07-16-2011 12:31 PM

:whistling:--If you're getting stupid ????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irongrave (Post 1383954)
If your getting stupid with what your wheeling an auto is nicer. one less thing to worry about when you start adding split sicks, cutting brakes, ect.

Interesting to hear what you explanation of that comment, might be !!

:cool: JIMBO

Rogerg 07-16-2011 01:59 PM

Autos are my preference but i also wheel with a stick.As mentioned its a bit more technical because of the clutch but the 4.1 transfer case on the Rubi really helps out alot..i could just imagine if you dont have one.Its a bit of a nuisance not to have even if you have an auto.

JIMBOX 07-16-2011 02:22 PM

:D Thats everso true-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 1384129)
Autos are my preference but i also wheel with a stick.As mentioned its a bit more technical because of the clutch but the 4.1 transfer case on the Rubi really helps out alot..i could just imagine if you dont have one.Its a bit of a nuisance not to have even if you have an auto.

I've had Big Dodge Power Wagons/Ramchargers with auto and 4lo-off-road and it's NO WHERE NEAR the advantage, of the Rubi NV241OR xfer case in 4lo, you can stop&go--at will !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

bbrown626 07-17-2011 02:09 AM

4 low in the Rubi I find I seldom use the clutch. I don't crawl on rocks, but 1st gear in 4-low is very slow and it also controls your decent. Manual gives you more control, but it does take some more work to operate.