Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fog light wiring (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fog-light-wiring-102899.html)

N.Miner 07-16-2011 11:04 PM

Fog light wiring

Hi guys first time jeep owner and first time on this forum! hopefully I can get a little more help than I have been getting.
I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler Willys edition. I had a problem with the Multifunction Switch (apparently thats a common problem) and had to replace it. The problem is, my parents got a multifunction switch that did not have a fog light option while i was in Afghanistan. (Im in the Marine Corps) So I figured no problem, Ill just install a toggle switch.
Problem. I dont know what the wiring is for the fog lights. Ive looked at both Chilton and Haynes manuals for wiring diagrams but cant find any that name the wires. Can anyone help? Im looking to either run a toggle switch off the wiring in the steering column, or splice the fog light wiring into the headlight or running light wiring and get a bigger fuse.

Thanks!

necromancer_tat 07-16-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.Miner (Post 1385500)
Hi guys first time jeep owner and first time on this forum! hopefully I can get a little more help than I have been getting.
I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler Willys edition. I had a problem with the Multifunction Switch (apparently thats a common problem) and had to replace it. The problem is, my parents got a multifunction switch that did not have a fog light option while i was in Afghanistan. (Im in the Marine Corps) So I figured no problem, Ill just install a toggle switch.
Problem. I dont know what the wiring is for the fog lights. Ive looked at both Chilton and Haynes manuals for wiring diagrams but cant find any that name the wires. Can anyone help? Im looking to either run a toggle switch off the wiring in the steering column, or splice the fog light wiring into the headlight or running light wiring and get a bigger fuse.

Thanks!

Wire it up the same way aftermarket fog lights are wired up. Use a relay to power the lights when your low beams are on, and wire the relay to a switch on your dash. What you want to happen is when you switch the lights on they will work while on low beam, and shut off when you trigger your high beams. Do a Google search and you'll find lots of information on how to wire it up.

Hardermods 07-17-2011 10:55 AM

Check out this thread fog lights don't work

N.Miner 07-18-2011 10:53 AM

Thanks allot for the link, the articles and pictures were awesome. Problem is it didn't work. I cut the white/orange wire and spliced into either end then ran them to a switch. Still wouldn't turn on though

jp2611 07-18-2011 10:59 AM

can you find the "hot" wires out under the hood on the driver's side plug? Hint one of them is for the horn. Unplug and use test light to complete circuit--actually think mine on my '04 sport were blue and blue with brown stripe. Eliminate the "good" ones other 2 should be the fogs. run wire from battery to toggle with fuse/relay--and than to fog lights AFTER the plug. I also cut the fog light wiring from the plug so can't feed backwards.

Just a suggestion.

N.Miner 07-21-2011 01:04 AM

Thanks for all the help guys it worked perfect! Now on to the next project....