Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Broken Zipper pull and thunder storms in the forcast!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/broken-zipper-pull-and-thunder-storms-in-the-forcast-103164.html)

mattjm1017 07-18-2011 06:51 PM

Broken Zipper pull and thunder storms in the forcast!!!

So I decided to close the Jeep up since they are calling for thunderstorms tomorrow and I really dont feel like getting wet but my zipper pull broke in half:banghead: Does anyone know if I can get just a replacement pull tab? Obviously Im going to be risking getting wet tomorrow oh well it happens but I would like to get this fixed soon. Thanks guys I know yall can help:punk:

BLK00TJ 07-18-2011 07:03 PM

not sure about the replacement half. Mine broke years ago along with many teeth so I replaced the whole thing. To get me by, I always tried to park facing uphill and used bungies to hold it up with the roll bar. I had to keep the rear seat folded forward.

prtemp 07-18-2011 07:07 PM

Had zipper problems with an older jeep I had. Took the top off, carried it to an upholstery shop friend and he put all new heavy duty, brass zippers wherever they were needed. That is the only fix I have ever come up with for zipper problems. He also resewed seams that were looking bad.

mattjm1017 07-18-2011 07:27 PM

I thought about just getting all the zippers replaced but Im saving up for a new top since all my zippers are starting to get screwed up and my windows are torn. I was hoping to find a replacement pull tab but so far no luck

KBR97 07-18-2011 07:28 PM

Feed a small keyring through the hole for now.

BLK00TJ 07-18-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjm1017 (Post 1389508)
I thought about just getting all the zippers replaced but Im saving up for a new top since all my zippers are starting to get screwed up and my windows are torn. I was hoping to find a replacement pull tab but so far no luck

When mine broke I went to a boat shop. They said they were backed up and wouldn't be able to do anything for months. They told me it would cost me about $200 to replace all the zippers. I stuck it out for about 2 years using those bungies. The only time it really sucked was in the winter when we got a blizzard. I had snow all the way up into the front floorboards.

mattjm1017 07-18-2011 08:43 PM

I just realized that maybe this part of the zipper is called the slider its the part that slides as in the whole sliding part that actually does the zipping not the part you pull on. and its broken completely in half so the key ring thing wont work but thats a good idea Ill keep it in mind for the future I tried to put a picture on here but cant figure out how to do it yet

fan of fanboys 07-18-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjm1017
I just realized that maybe this part of the zipper is called the slider its the part that slides as in the whole sliding part that actually does the zipping not the part you pull on. and its broken completely in half so the key ring thing wont work but thats a good idea Ill keep it in mind for the future I tried to put a picture on here but cant figure out how to do it yet

Same thing happened to me. Zipper itself broke off. I yanked to hard I guess. If I can get that replaced cheaply be great. I'm in process of researching a new top now.

Neil F. 07-18-2011 08:48 PM

Jeep Zipper Sliders

BNotrab 07-18-2011 08:48 PM

Jeep Zipper Sliders

I've never used them but it was suggested to me when I had the same problem. I went to a top shop and had the slider replaced... complete waste of money, all the shop did was put some old pull zipper on. Hope this works for you.

dfry 07-18-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F.

Great find!! I've added that one to my bookmarks. :) Thanks!!

03 sahara jeeper 07-20-2011 05:14 PM

One of the zippers on my back window broke in half. Ordered these. Had replaced in 5 minuets works great now.

mattjm1017 07-20-2011 06:03 PM

I ordered them cant wait to see how they work

rubicon05 07-20-2011 06:28 PM

When the zipper on on window broke i stitched the window in place with zip ties and ran some black duck tape around the seam to seal it. Been like that for about 5 months now. Havent gotten around to fixin it.

littlethimble 07-20-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNotrab (Post 1389698)

Thank you!! My rear zipper pull tab was broken when I bought the Jeep and the PO had a huge knitting stitch marker type thing to use. It's hard to use. I'll be picking this up soon!!

mattjm1017 07-25-2011 07:42 PM

Alright got them in the mail and they work excellently:dance: It took a little wiggling and force to get the zipper stop on and getting the new zipper slider to line up with the 8 year old zippers but a little bit of tugging and some soap on the zipper and I got it all together this is an excellent product its cheap and they had super fast shipping. Thanks for recomending them:thumb:

maintenancerob76 07-26-2011 06:58 PM

A good practice when zipping your rear window is unzipping the back of your side windows. Works for me and less stress on the rear zipper.