Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   horrible noise, what is it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/horrible-noise-what-is-it-103201.html)

chefbean43 07-19-2011 12:19 AM

horrible noise, what is it?

So yesterday I was driving and I heard a noise I've never heard. It sounds Like my transmission. It gets this whining n grinding sound n when I slow down the whining slow and then there's this pop sound. I know my throw out is bad is that what it is n just getting worse? Need some advice or opinions!!

chefbean43 07-19-2011 12:21 AM

I don't know what transmission I have its an 88 258 straight 6. And the noise comes and goes. If im driving and it starts then it doesn't stop till I slow down almost to a complete stop

Buddha 07-19-2011 11:27 AM

My 93 YJ did the something similar - grinding noise only happened when slowing or coming to a stop. When I came to a complete stop it would make another noise and then it would kinda catch (like I was running it into a parking lot bumper) and then rock back a little. I thought it might be in the transmission but it turned out to be in the rearend. Pinion nut was loose and allowing everything to slide backwards. Eventually, on the way to the shop to have it looked at, it locked up and tore up a bunch of other stuff.

Don't know if this is your problem or not but my advice is to drive it as little as possible until you find out what it is. By the time I was done fixing everything it tore up I was out $3300.

chefbean43 07-19-2011 11:53 PM

So I had a buddy at work listen to it n he said its definatly the throw out bearing. So I have no idea where to start. Me n my roommate r pretty mechanicly inclined, we tore down my engine n got it back running, so pretty sure we can handle it but I have no idea where to start it. Any words of wisdom from y'all would ne awesome. Or a step by step manual!!! Thanks for any help

Buddha 07-20-2011 10:51 AM

Try the search function...

Here's one to start you with...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/need...air-92696.html

chefbean43 07-20-2011 01:46 PM

Thanks for the link I'll try a search. Its hard cause only internet I have right now is on my phone

Buddha 07-20-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefbean43 (Post 1394119)
Thanks for the link I'll try a search. Its hard cause only internet I have right now is on my phone

Here's another link that might help:

New Clutch Install/Writeup - JeepForum.com

wakeboard236 07-20-2011 02:36 PM

I have the same problem, I get a grinding noise somewhere when I am slowing down; however, i dont get the second "pop" noise that you guys get. I kinda pushed this problem aside with all of my other problems recently, but now im intrigued

Buddha 07-20-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeboard236 (Post 1394292)
I have the same problem, I get a grinding noise somewhere when I am slowing down; however, i dont get the second "pop" noise that you guys get. I kinda pushed this problem aside with all of my other problems recently, but now im intrigued

If it's just when you are on the brakes I'd recommend checking your brake pads. Could be all kinds of things depending on when it happens and where its coming from etc.

drhodes 07-20-2011 05:36 PM

That's wierd the only thing I hear is a whole lot of work in my future. Let's do work son.

chefbean43 07-20-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhodes
That's wierd the only thing I hear is a whole lot of work in my future. Let's do work son.

Lol! Ordering the kit friday. It isn't gonna be bad we should get it done in a day. Hardest part will be the bolts!!

Thuone 07-21-2011 12:29 PM

Haynes Manual!
Then be ready to replace your clutch while you’re down there. Dropping the transmission is no fun.. You also may want to get a transmission jack and bleeder kit. If you do change your clutch you will need a torque wrench..
When I had to drop mine to replace my flywheel I changed the pilot bearing clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder/throw out bearing all at once. Still dropped it a few times due to CARQUEST giving me the wrong flywheel but I had great intention to do it once..
Good Luck!

chefbean43 07-21-2011 01:59 PM

Im ordering a complete clutch kit with all that and gonna pick up a jack tomorrow. I got a pretty good right up with step by step instructions from one of the links posted. Soooo....I guess its go time next week!!

angrybird 12-26-2011 05:37 PM

(95 YJ 2.5L) I'm getting a whining noise from 4th and 5th gear. It almost sounds like a bearing or something because it only does it when there's a load on it. if I take my foot off the gas there's a sweet spot where the sound goes away but comes back almost immediately. Anyone have thoughts on what could be causing it?