Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   98 Jeep Wrangler 4 banger 5 speed what do you think? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/98-jeep-wrangler-4-banger-5-speed-what-do-you-think-103293.html)

Johnboy11 07-19-2011 05:59 PM

98 Jeep Wrangler 4 banger 5 speed what do you think?

5 Attachment(s)
I have a guy that is willing to trade me straight across for my 2000 Eclipse GT speed in awesome condition( Leather, sunroof, all options) He has a 98 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl 5 speed hard doors no a/c no cruise :( 115000 miles what do you guys think? I drive mostly in town, but go see my gal about a hour drive on weekends.Is this a good deal?

Johnboy11 07-19-2011 06:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is pics of my car. its in great condition with New tires clutch, new timing belt and water pump ect.. Runs perfect super cold a/c. I have never owned a Jeep Wrangler so tell me if this is a bad deal! Thnaks

swkenobi 07-19-2011 06:50 PM

If he has all the documentation on it then maybe. Depends on how much your car is worth, Jeep is probably worth $5500 or so. Not going to be the greatest vehicle to drive that hour but you could do worse.

Mykll 07-19-2011 07:23 PM

Drive around without AC for a week. Of course, in Texas, with I think our 78th day in a row above 130, no AC would be a deal breaker for me if I was used to one. Don't suppose this guy is on friendly enough terms to swap vehicles for a day? You'll probably save on insurance, and then pay more for gas. Maybe.

Like swkenobi said you could drive worse. Do what I have read on here, see if you can check underneath and below carpets for rust, documentation, etc.

Johnboy11 07-19-2011 07:34 PM

KBB says mine is worth 4200 in great condition. his is worth 5500 I paid 3500 for mine and put new tires and timing belt and a few other things. i work in the heat during the day so it really doesnt bother me that much. I will miss it tho on some days. Think i can drive 65 mph on highway? he says it has 32 in ch tires on it and a 3 " lift

City 07-19-2011 07:39 PM

I'm not a big fan of the 4 cyl, but if your going to use it as a commuter vehicle and it is never going to see mud and ruts, then I guess it is an okay deal. Just beware, if you have never had a Jeep before, you're going to get the fever. You'll want to start upgrading suspensions, gearing, lift kits, Quick Disconnect Sway Bars, front & rear bumpers, winches... and the list goes on. Then you'll wish you had bought a Jeep with the 4.0L I6.

MikeMTJ 07-19-2011 07:40 PM

I think the 2.5L is anemic, and I'm glad I got rid of mine. I say wait for a 4.0L.

Also, I love my AC dearly.

Johnboy11 07-19-2011 07:47 PM

A friend is going to let me drive his 4 cyl 5 speed with the same set up tomorrow. that will be the big test for me :)

MikeMTJ 07-19-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnboy11 (Post 1391863)
A friend is going to let me drive his 4 cyl 5 speed with the same set up tomorrow. that will be the big test for me :)

So, I was looking at the picture of the dash and realized something.

Is the vehicle on in that picture? The temp gauge is almost at 210, which is fine, but all the other gauges except fuel seem to me sitting at 0.

Kaoskrewpb 07-19-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1392527)

Is the vehicle on in that picture? The temp gauge is almost at 210, which is fine, but all the other gauges except fuel seem to me sitting at 0.

He probably has the key half way turned but im not sure, good eye

markzeronine 07-20-2011 12:53 AM

As far as I know, that year eclipse isn't worth anything (no offense). That Jeep, if in decent condition, will be a big upgrade on resale value alone...

jeep3to 07-20-2011 11:21 AM

I think you'll come up on the trade.... however as mention above... if you get on the jeep fever, it can make you wish you had a 4.0 later on ... but then again .. I think you would get more money for the jeep if you decide to upgrade.... I would check prices in the area and see what prices are going for your car and for his ...........

cork1958 07-20-2011 11:52 AM

As some of the other posters have stated, 4 bangers are anemic. A 4 banger isn't even a Jeep, IMO!!

Wouldn't even consider that trade, personally.

MikeMTJ 07-20-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoskrewpb

He probably has the key half way turned but im not sure, good eye

If the key was partially turned the engine temp wouldn't be at 190 degrees.

Jeep1992 07-20-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1392527)

I saw the same thing, oil pressure is at 0

thdrduck 07-20-2011 12:15 PM

I have a 98, it's a 4 banger, has a 5 speed, is all stock, goes anywhere I want it to, has not left me stranded anywhere, has over 130,000 on it, I tow a small boat with it and after having it 4 years I still love it. Where I live almost everything is an hour away, beats the hell out of a minivan! Not a Jeep my ass, sheesh.

jtraider 07-20-2011 12:18 PM

i think its just been driven and the key is on for the mileage.

Johnboy11 07-20-2011 06:25 PM

OK i Drove a 4 banger today(my friends) ya no power but i liked it. I am just worried about frying here in kansas. I like my a/c but I work outside most of the day. I love my eclipse but I just get tired of driving a girlie car. my biggest concern is the heat when raining. Does the safari top help alot? Where is the cheapest place to get one? I plan on just cleaning it up and reselling to get a 6 cyl soon with a/c no having good luck selling my Eclipse. Please tell me what to do!!!!!! Are the 4 bangers that bad?

6InARowMakesItGo 07-20-2011 06:45 PM

straight up trade you would be getting the better deal just from the values of them. even if you sell the jeep the next day. that is nobody's ideal jeep but it's still better than your car. that car is to girly for my sister to drive.

Johnboy11 07-20-2011 08:41 PM

Ya I think I will pull the trigger on it and resell it, after I take the trashy stickers off it and paint the chrome and clean it up really well. What is a good price to get for it?

MikeMTJ 07-20-2011 08:47 PM

First thing you should do with the Jeep is replace those control arms. That thing must ride ROUGH.

Jiffydarren 07-20-2011 08:50 PM

Let me tell you about that Jeep my friend... sure the 2.5 is "anemic" but Jeeps aren't made for speed... that engine is a rock solid, reliable piece of mesopormorphic machinery. That engine will never fail you, and always deliver in a pinch. Plus a timing chain beats a timing belt any day. I don't have a/c in my rig either but once you pop those doors off you won't be missing it all that much. Ditch the riceburner and get yourself a real, authentic American icon.

Tl;dr - doo eet.

Turtles TJ 07-20-2011 08:56 PM

^^What he said. I have AC and was worried about the heat with top off. Once you get moving the breeze feels so great and feels GREAT to really SEE and ENJOY your drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1393654)
If the key was partially turned the engine temp wouldn't be at 190 degrees.

If he just got done driving it it would. Mine did same thing last night, stopped driving and shut down engine, but had on ACC power for radio

MikeMTJ 07-20-2011 09:03 PM

Oh, no doubt the 2.5L is a reliable engine. I don't disagree with that at all. The 2.5L is basically a 4.0L with two cylinders lopped off.

Johnboy11 07-20-2011 09:18 PM

Now I need a good web site to buy parts, My first is a safari top!! everything jeeps is out of stock so what are some good places to buy stuff? fast shipping reliable and cheap?

trav78 07-20-2011 09:33 PM

32 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnboy11 (Post 1395488)
Now I need a good web site to buy parts, My first is a safari top!! everything jeeps is out of stock so what are some good places to buy stuff? fast shipping reliable and cheap?

i got my soft top from quadratec there prices are competitive and the shipping was fast .

Woodsthumper 07-20-2011 09:36 PM

I'm on my second 6 cylinder sahara and I wouldn't want any less power than that. It looks like the swap would be to your advantage but I would keep an eye out for a 6 cylinder. My 98 sahara had air and cruise but the 08 I just bought has everything a luxury car has. They've come a long way! Quadratec is definitly great for competative pricing and speedy delivery.

Jiffydarren 07-20-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnboy11 (Post 1395488)

2 words: Salvage Yards

Explanation:

I had a beat up tan top on my rig when I first bought it. The top had huge rips over the doors and the top would fly up on the highway. I found myself a top off of a 97 at Kneers Auto Salvage in Brunswick, NY for 75$. A little cleaning and it was superb.

This hard top I have now I got off of Craigs (online salvage yard essentially). Only paid $450 for something that normally costs a stack. Sure the top looked like doody when I got it, but a little sanding and painting and some good old fashioned manly elbow grease made it look like it does now.

Salvage yards my friend.... Salvage yards.

bshurette 07-20-2011 11:28 PM

I just bought one

I just bought a 98 wrangler 4 banger 5 speed, with 106k (probably higher with 33's) and I just drove it from atlanta to chattanooga tn. The drive was two hours on the interstate and it was fine. Now with that being said i hit seveny plus mph on every hill....going down it. It is not a speed demon, but its fun to drive and just get in the far right lane and ride with the truckers!!! Its my first wrangler and I love it. I test drove the 4.0 and they were nice, but if they had big tires and were not geared right it was no different than the four banger on the back roads. I am happy with my jeep and I have had it on the interstate the last couple of days and had no problem staying around 65 mph with 33's. I say trade

Johnboy11 07-20-2011 11:39 PM

thanks all