Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Long arm joint threads destroyed up

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  UnlimitedLJ04 
#1 ·
got my long arm conversion install underway. got a problem: one of the smaller "x-flex joints" threads are messed up to a point that i cant get a nut more than a 1/2 inch on it. i contacted JCW for a replacement, and just found out that the part will be in....wait for it....NEXT Thursday. and they didnt even call to tell me. i had to call them and wait on hold for 30 mins to find out. so my heep is supposed to sit on jack stands for a week? i am going to try to grind off a 1/2 inch of threads to try to get it on, but idk what else to do. let me know if you have any suggestions. i will post pics tonight of the threads.
as of right now, i am very unhappy with rough country.

#5 ·
Yeah, then a die will prob be your best bet. Or a needle file set with a thread file. then you could file down the one bad spot in the thread. Have you tried threading the nut on as far as you can and tapping the nut with a small/medium ball peen, thread it alittle more then tap it again, repeat?

#7 ·
Try a bigger hammer, lol. Are you tapping around the diameter of the nut or on the top? If you could get a picture of the damaged threads i could better help. Ive had to repair quite a many threads in my line of work.

#8 ·
as of right now, i am very unhappy with rough country.
remember - you get what you pay for.

To actually fix this, I'd try a die first. You'll need a big bench vice to hold the joint securely, and you'll need a die for whatever size threads & pitch the joints are. Get a Grade 5 nut for testing the threads.

Also get a Grade 5 bolt to test the threads in the arm, and make sure the threads inside aren't jacked up. If they are, you'll need a tap at the very least, possibly a new arm.

Keep in mind a die will run around $50 or so. Don't cheap out and get some HF crappo die, or you'll make things even worse. Get a good Irwin/Hanson die. You also need to make sure you have a die handle to grab it, if it doesn't have flats on it. if it does have flats on it, make sure you have an adjustable wrench big enough to grab it. die handles are better because they provide a more even application of torque, but they're also expensive.

If you need to chase the internal threads, the tap will also run $50 or more. When using a tap, you really need a t-handle. Big t-handles for taps in the 1"+ range a quite expensive.

Make sure to use cutting oil (3-in-1 is fine).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.