Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Front Bumper Replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/front-bumper-replacement-104161.html)

GOJEEP007 07-25-2011 11:38 AM

Front Bumper Replacement
 
I just bought my 08 Jeep Wrangler X last week. Someone decided to not look where they were going and hit the passenger side of the front bumper while it was parked and scraped up the plastic and put a stress mark on the bumper. I've been looking at other front bumpers before this happened but this definitely pushes me to replace it. How hard is it to remove the OEM bumper and replace it with something like one of these?

Rampage Part 86620 - Double Tube Front Bumper with Hoop by Rampage for Jeep

Or this:

Pavement Ends Part 4391001 - Front Bumper by Pavement Ends

tysalem 07-25-2011 11:42 AM

It's fairly easy. a bunch of plastic push screws to take out and the 8 bolts holding the bumper on. Here is a write up that helped me remove mine.
Factory bumper removal

thenorsepole 07-25-2011 11:51 AM

The stock bumper itself is not difficult at all to remove. Most of the aftermarket bumpers simply bolt right on with no drilling or grinding required. Some manufacturers have mixed reviews and are "hit or miss" as it concerns fitment (Smittybuilt comes to mind - read both good and bad as far as fitment).

I made the mistake of grabbing a bumper for mine when I first got it. Six months later, I realized it wasn't the right bumper for what I wanted to do with my rig, so I changed it out - again. Bumpers, like the rest of your rig, become a personal choice that depends on what YOU like for looks and function.

Look through this forum, there are hundreds of photos of rigs and their bumpers and plenty of reviews to draw your own conclusions from. Take your time, do your homework and you only have to spend your money once.

Chances are I really didn't answer your question directly did I? :wavey:

Yellow_Fox 07-25-2011 11:57 AM

Deffenetly dnt get the rampage bumper. sorry but i think those double tube bumpers are ugly the other one is better

KidRock171 07-25-2011 12:03 PM

I recommend the bestop high acess. I have it and it looks great has light tabs and is winch ready. Installs directly to the 6 OEM bumper mounts. It's the perfect bumper for functionality. Protects sheet metal drastically increases ground clearance infront of tires.

GOJEEP007 07-25-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysalem (Post 1407707)
It's fairly easy. a bunch of plastic push screws to take out and the 8 bolts holding the bumper on. Here is a write up that helped me remove mine.
Factory bumper removal

Thanks for the link. The removal looks pretty easy and straight forward.

tysalem 07-25-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOJEEP007 (Post 1407772)
Thanks for the link. The removal looks pretty easy and straight forward.

Your welcome. :thumb:

GOJEEP007 07-25-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1407758)
I recommend the bestop high acess. I have it and it looks great has light tabs and is winch ready. Installs directly to the 6 OEM bumper mounts. It's the perfect bumper for functionality. Protects sheet metal drastically increases ground clearance infront of tires.

I like the look of this bumper. Very clean looking. Where did you order it?

KidRock171 07-25-2011 03:10 PM

Q tech

WilliamGray 07-25-2011 09:24 PM

Here is a Rugged Ridge XHD bumper. This is just the center section, without any of the other add on stuff.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3364034_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5108554_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8264901_n.jpg

El Gringo 07-25-2011 11:42 PM

If you are looking for something with a little style to it, I love my Westin Trailblazer bumper:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2016654_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...8_871890_n.jpg

And I got it for about $215 shipped!

Can't go wrong there.

Also the XHD system seems pretty good because it's modular so you add various pieces as needed/money allow for.

LSU.pilot 07-26-2011 12:17 AM

Without trying to hijack this thread, and while everyone is discussing bumpers, would there be a reason why any bumper would be better or worse for mud riding or basic trail riding (little to no climbing)? I've read almost everywhere that certain bumpers claim to be great for climbing, but I have no clue as to whether any bumper would be better for brush and mud.

...and now that I've reread that, it looks a lot like an offtopic hijack. I'll save it by adding that I like the OP's "Pavement Ends" bumper. Not a huge fan of tubes. My two cents.

GOJEEP007 07-26-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSU.pilot (Post 1409898)
Without trying to hijack this thread, and while everyone is discussing bumpers, would there be a reason why any bumper would be better or worse for mud riding or basic trail riding (little to no climbing)? I've read almost everywhere that certain bumpers claim to be great for climbing, but I have no clue as to whether any bumper would be better for brush and mud.

...and now that I've reread that, it looks a lot like an offtopic hijack. I'll save it by adding that I like the OP's "Pavement Ends" bumper. Not a huge fan of tubes. My two cents.

If you are just going through brush and mud I wouldn't think that clearance would be as much of an issue so pretty much whichever bumper fits your style I would think would work. Probably one that has spots for lighting on it. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. That's pretty much my situation is that I will be going through brush and mud etc but not a lot of rock climbing.

Park_Wrangler 07-26-2011 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rugged Ridge has a mail in rebate deal this summer. I got my new front bumper with end caps and bar (no lights). Total 548.93 after 50$ rebate and no shipping because I picked it up at my local store. `

spankinkopita 07-26-2011 08:00 AM

Does anyone know if the storage ends for the Bestop bumpers are available alone, I am considering going stubby with the factory and using them as ends

GOJEEP007 07-26-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankinkopita (Post 1410250)
Does anyone know if the storage ends for the Bestop bumpers are available alone, I am considering going stubby with the factory and using them as ends

You can do this if you want factory. I've been thinking about it myself.
Vertically Driven Products 31550 - VDP Stubby End Cap Kit for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE Bumper - Quadratec

Anyone else have experience with this conversion?

spankinkopita 07-26-2011 08:33 AM

I saw that too, but I really like the storage ends, the idea of having a place for some kit is appealing.
Okay, sorry EDIT here. Rugged Ridge makes it, XRD end. Has anyone tried to mate them to factory?

LSU.pilot 07-26-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOJEEP007

If you are just going through brush and mud I wouldn't think that clearance would be as much of an issue so pretty much whichever bumper fits your style I would think would work. Probably one that has spots for lighting on it. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. That's pretty much my situation is that I will be going through brush and mud etc but not a lot of rock climbing.

Thanks, that was kind of my train of thought as well. I like the look of the Bestop 4x4 narrow rock bumper (on my phone, no links sorry), but I was also thinking that for brush and mud I may need something guarding the wheels. Idk, maybe just being paranoid about my first Jeep.

GOJEEP007 07-26-2011 09:45 AM

After doing a bunch of research it looks like the pavement ends bumper is made by bestop and is good quality. I've seen some installed pictures on other forums and good reviews. For the price you just can't go wrong with it so I'll probably pick one up in the next week or so. I'll post pictures once I get it all installed.

subzero2931 07-26-2011 01:36 PM

Sry, but need to hijack for a minute.
 
Sorry to hijack, but I can't post a new thread, and this one is relevant to my issue...

Anyone know the difference between the '05 bumper and an '11 bumper?


I am looking to put this bumper onto my new jk and it only fits tj style wranglers.

Can I mod my bumper to fit this, or should I look for a new bumper?

Does anyone have this bumper and recommend it?

I live in AZ, new jk is also DD, but also wheel atleast every weekend in the rocks and sometimes more.

Thanks














GOJEEP007 07-26-2011 03:31 PM

Picture I found of the Pavement Ends bumper installed. Looks pretty clean. I will be ordering mine soon and will post pictures.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3...sinstalled.jpg

spankinkopita 07-26-2011 03:43 PM

Xhs
 
1 Attachment(s)
The XHD ends are sweet, but does anyone know if they can be adapted to the factory bumper if cut down?

LSU.pilot 07-26-2011 06:06 PM

How durable is the xhd bumper in the first place? It seems like the modular build might make the caps more prone to breaking off.

El Gringo 07-26-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzero2931
Sorry to hijack, but I can't post a new thread, and this one is relevant to my issue...

Anyone know the difference between the '05 bumper and an '11 bumper?

I am looking to put this bumper onto my new jk and it only fits tj style wranglers.

Can I mod my bumper to fit this, or should I look for a new bumper?

Does anyone have this bumper and recommend it?

I live in AZ, new jk is also DD, but also wheel atleast every weekend in the rocks and sometimes more.

Thanks







if you have access to a welder you could make a bracket adaptor I suppose. I would personally just look for a jk bumper. I think ace makes a stinger

subzero2931 07-27-2011 05:11 AM

Thanks Gringo, will do, but man, I am really digging that stinger look. I'll give ace a shot.

WilliamGray 07-27-2011 10:37 AM

The xhd endcaps attach using 3 bolts each, into 3/16" steel. They should hold up pretty well.

carpediem 11-07-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzero2931 (Post 1411113)
Sorry to hijack, but I can't post a new thread, and this one is relevant to my issue...

Anyone know the difference between the '05 bumper and an '11 bumper?


I am looking to put this bumper onto my new jk and it only fits tj style wranglers.

Can I mod my bumper to fit this, or should I look for a new bumper?

Does anyone have this bumper and recommend it?

I live in AZ, new jk is also DD, but also wheel atleast every weekend in the rocks and sometimes more.

Thanks















so does anybody know what bumper this is? or where to get one? i want it lol and i drive a tj so itll work fine haha

kbwwolf 11-07-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpediem (Post 1726174)
so does anybody know what bumper this is? or where to get one? i want it lol and i drive a tj so itll work fine haha

I'd suggest sending subzero2931 a PM, along with a copy of the photo from his original post. :thumb:

InfernoGirl 11-07-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpediem (Post 1726174)
so does anybody know what bumper this is? or where to get one? i want it lol and i drive a tj so itll work fine haha

Smittybuilt.

jkaufman_95 11-07-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl

Smittybuilt.

X2 it's defiantly a smittybuilt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.