Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Rookie looking for Rookie Mistakes to avoid (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/rookie-looking-for-rookie-mistakes-to-avoid-104237.html)

GamecockBobby 07-25-2011 08:12 PM

Rookie looking for Rookie Mistakes to avoid

Ok, so its my first Jeep. I want to enjoy it for all its worth, but have never had one, or any 4wd for that matter. Just looking for rookie mistakes to avoid. Anything from useless modifications to off road driving mistakes. Just looking for some knowledge from those that have already traveled this road. Thanks folks

DonC72 07-25-2011 08:25 PM

Never ever ever skip the jeep wave. If you see one, you wave.

:)

Welcome!

GamecockBobby 07-25-2011 08:39 PM

Oh yeah. Got that one down. Though I think I need to educate some people, because it seems I don't get one back as often as I did on my Harley

bmanrkg3 07-25-2011 09:43 PM

Throttle body spacers are hype for the fuel injection these motors have. If you wanna run synthetic, use true German synthetic. Buy American whenever possible. And if it sounds too good to be true, read around, bc it probably is.. (ex: dramatic mpg increase for your jeep)

bmanrkg3 07-25-2011 09:45 PM

Oh, and stay away from pro comp

Sherpa 07-25-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockBobby (Post 1409247)
Anything from useless modifications to off road driving mistakes.

Mods:
- don't install "nerf tubes" thinking they will protect your tub from damage. They will not.
- don't install tube bumpers thinking they are stronger than stock bumpers. They are not.
- don't install a 3" body lift thinking it is a better way to clear tall tires. It is not.

off-road driving:
- DON'T ride the brakes descending steep hills, especially on loose surfaces. Use 4LO and first gear instead.
- DON'T floor the throttle to overcome obstacles. Be gentle. Heavy throttle will only snap u-joints, axles, etc when a spinning tire suddenly gets grip.
- never, ever, ever, never go Jeeping with only one vehicle. Ever. The more remote your location, the more friends you ought to have with you.

Those are just a few tips off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in with more. Welcome to the family!

rmed4defense 07-25-2011 11:16 PM

Do
Know how DEEP the water/mud you are about to enter before driving in.
Use 2wd to get into trouble, 4wd to get you out.
Keep good tires on your jeep.
Have fun!

Don't

Install chrome.
Use 4wd on pavement unless it is snowy/icy.
Expect great fuel mileage.

kevinp19 07-25-2011 11:31 PM

NOOB here and really like this thread so far. :)

Raisinhead 07-25-2011 11:38 PM

Read as much as you can on the forum! Tons to learn on here.

ratherbedirty 07-26-2011 12:41 AM

-if you have a soft top, dont try to scrape ice off the windows :facepalm:
-if you dont have skid plates, get some. your drive shafts and oil pan wont hold the weight of the whole vehicle very well

im still learning as well. only had my jeep for a couple months so this is all i got so far

GamecockBobby 07-26-2011 01:30 AM

Good stuff so far. Thanks for the knowledge. Keep it coming!!

wrangler2326 07-26-2011 01:39 AM

dont listen to your friends that say "yeah yeah you can make that all day", unless they own a jeep turn your ass around. thats all ive got, everyone else has already pretty much hit the nail on the head. ive been jeepin for 2 years now. fun stuff. enjoy it.

if you break something dont go back stock. upgrade.

daggo66 07-26-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmed4defense (Post 1409793)
Do
Know how DEEP the water/mud you are about to enter before driving in.
Use 2wd to get into trouble, 4wd to get you out.
Keep good tires on your jeep.
Have fun!

Don't
Install chrome.
Use 4wd on pavement unless it is snowy/icy.
Expect great fuel mileage.

I'm sure it's what you meant but just to be clear, one should be in 4L before it's needed.

banks316 07-26-2011 06:11 AM

I got a few off road tips
1. Always have recovery gear you just never know.
2. Keep a tool box with common tools needed to do almost any type of repairs.
3. If your going to roll over try to turn into it and lean away from it.
4. Know the limits of your jeep. Sometimes takes pushing it to the edge.
5. Helps to keep your right foot resting against the tranny hump and pressing the skinny peddle with the tip of your foot. Keeps your foot steady when bumping around.
Ok that's all I got for now.

Curky 07-26-2011 06:28 AM

I like all of this I learned a lot here myself.

jp2611 07-26-2011 06:33 AM

don't clean your muddy dirty soft-top windows with windex and paper towels.

use lots of water and after they are clean. use a very soft cloth to get rid of spots and plastic window polish protector-helps hide scratches.

MattD 07-26-2011 06:48 AM

Always ask the forum members first - No matter how stupid you think you may appear (it was probably already asked and answered). These guys and gals know there s**t and there are enough of them to steer you in the right direction.

There are numerous things I've learned just by searching and numerous repairs I was able to make that I would never have known how to fix if it wasn't already posted on here.

Most recent example: Blower fan for Heater/AC only worked on "High." I wouldn't have known there was a resistor module inside the passenger kick panel (screwed into the blower housing) that was the problem. Simple $21 feeBay part that took 15 mins. to fix.

My Jeep is new to me, as well. Had it for over 6 months, but only recently was able to start making major and minor repairs.

wwch99tj 07-26-2011 07:05 AM

Don't be afraid to ask anything but always check the FAQ and use the search chances are many others have experienced the same problem or had the same concerns anyway congrats and good luck

MattD 07-26-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwch99tj (Post 1410186)
Don't be afraid to ask anything but always check the FAQ and use the search chances are many others have experienced the same problem or had the same concerns anyway congrats and good luck

Yes. I should have made that clear. Check the FAQ first and do a search if it isn't under FAQ. Everyone is helpful, but nothing aggravates members more than 100 threads on the same question when a simple search would have provided an answer.:doh:

OlYellerTJ 07-26-2011 07:33 AM

OP,

Using 4WD does NOT mean you can go faster (or even the speed limit) on dirt/gravel/snowy/icy roads than 2WD. As was posted above, use 2WD to get stuck and 4WD to get unstuck. If you get stuck in 4WD, you will need recovery gear and probably some friends... :-p

monkers 07-26-2011 08:07 AM

Im new as well, only had my Jeep for a year. The guys are right about the forums, don't be afraid to ask. The search doesn't always work because sometimes us newbies are calling something by a different name than everyone else .....so you may have to try it with different wording. The people here are great, and very willing tohelp and steer you in the right direction. Enjoy your Jeep!

jebby 07-26-2011 09:05 AM

ALWAYS bag hummers when you see them posing in the parking lots. try not to get high centered its easier than it appears

jebby 07-26-2011 09:06 AM

oh and use a spotter

GamecockBobby 07-26-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebby (Post 1410340)
ALWAYS bag hummers when you see them posing in the parking lots. try not to get high centered its easier than it appears

What do you mean "BAG HUMMERS" ?

Drakea94 07-26-2011 09:27 AM

:)

RubiKing 07-26-2011 09:50 AM

Ditto all of these posts. Wealth of knowledge on here. Don't do anything before consulting the forum.

GamecockBobby 07-26-2011 10:18 AM

Ok, gonna consult you now..... Body Armor. Some of it looks really good, some of it doesn't. What are the thoughts of the forum on that?

RubiKing 07-26-2011 10:31 AM

I haven't seen to many cons on Body Armor from my buddies. But then again, they're all slighty retarded. Becareful with anything powder coated. It tends to chip off and start to rust.

hgesell 07-26-2011 10:39 AM

Bagging Hummers means to take cell phone pics of them and posting to the forum on the bagging hummers thread.

hgesell 07-26-2011 11:04 AM

Learn to fix it yourself. A lot cheaper and makes you more confident with your Jeep. (good bonding time).

Buy good tools the first time, the cheap ones break and you will spend a lot more replacing the junk tools.

Jeeps live to be nekkid. Get the doors and top off so she can enjoy herself. (Or himself if your jeep is male)

Expect to get rained on. Usually when there is little to no chance of rain. (weathermen have the best jobs because they still get paid when they are wrong.)

Any work you do will usually take twice as long as you think it will.

In most states you need a driver side mirror to be legal when the doors are off. An "Add a mirror" for towing can be modified to work.

Wear your seatbelt, but especially when the doors are off.

If you need to get somewhere in a hurry, take the wife's car. Jeeps aren't built for speed.

You can do a lot stock, play around before you upgrade so you know what you want to improve before you spend money on upgrades you don't need.

Buy a torque wrench and use it. Bolts snap when you give them that little bit more of a turn to make sure they are tight.