Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   HELP on Tires sizes (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/help-on-tires-sizes-104791.html)

DirtyGirl 07-29-2011 08:04 AM

HELP on Tires sizes
 
Hello my fellow "Wranglers"! I want to upgrade my tire size without a lift! My dirty girl is at factory lift settings. I've been on MANY websites for tire sizes and getting mixed info about 31's. I want to put 31/10.50R-15 15"x8" tire rim package. Will it work without a lift and rubbing? Will I need spacers?
Help please!

mopardan97 07-29-2011 08:12 AM

Depends on the backspacing of the wheel. The only rub you might get would be at full lock

rda616 07-29-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyGirl
Hello my fellow "Wranglers"! I want to upgrade my tire size without a lift! My dirty girl is at factory lift settings. I've been on MANY websites for tire sizes and getting mixed info about 31's. I want to put 31/10.50R-15 15"x8" tire rim package. Will it work without a lift and rubbing? Will I need spacers?
Help please!

If you use a factor 15x8 rim then they will fit fine. If you use a rim with much less back spacing then they will hit the fender flare . Spacers give you less back space and will make it more likely to hit a fender!

kfdjason7620 07-29-2011 08:28 AM

A spacer lift is cheap and easy

DirtyGirl 07-29-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620
A spacer lift is cheap and easy

I hear that these cheap spacer lifts are "you get what you pay for". Is this true?

kfdjason7620 07-29-2011 08:59 AM

Not at all, I have spacers in the back and longer springs in the front, running 31's now and was running 33's before, (I wanted some power back and not enough $$ for a regear) but everything is still factory with a spacer lift. It will ride the same

Neil F. 07-29-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyGirl (Post 1419832)
I hear that these cheap spacer lifts are "you get what you pay for". Is this true?

There is not much to a spacer lift. Polyuerthane spacers are really al the same. Most are in the 2" range. Some are a little more or less. The bigger item are the shocks. They determine the ride quality. If you are 100% on road, you can use the stock shocks. For any off road, you should get longer shocks. Most BB packages are spacers and shocks. The Skyjacker Hydro shocks are known for a very good ride and they have them in their BB package. It goes for around 250.00

kfdjason7620 07-29-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F.

There is not much to a spacer lift. Polyuerthane spacers are really al the same. Most are in the 2" range. Some are a little more or less. The bigger item are the shocks. They determine the ride quality. If you are 100% on road, you can use the stock shocks. For any off road, you should get longer shocks. Most BB packages are spacers and shocks. The Skyjacker Hydro shocks are known for a very good ride and they have them in their BB package. It goes for around 250.00

The only reasoning swapped out front spacer for a linger spring is because I didn't like the way I could see the spacer, but yeah, for $250, they can't be beat

DirtyGirl 07-29-2011 07:51 PM

You guys ROCK! You've been incredibly helpful!!!! Time to make a tire/rim purchase!!!!

freeskier 07-29-2011 08:11 PM

If you only want 31s a body lift will be better than a BB. 1" will give you the extra needed clearance for 31s without changing the suspension geometry.

Shelby427 07-29-2011 11:23 PM

Well if it's any help we have 31x10.50x15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on 15x7 jeep wheels on a bone stock, original shocks and springs on our 97 Sahara. Only thing I had to do was adjust the steering stops.

UnlimitedLJ04 07-30-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyGirl (Post 1419832)
I hear that these cheap spacer lifts are "you get what you pay for". Is this true?

yup, its true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 1421508)
If you only want 31s a body lift will be better than a BB. 1" will give you the extra needed clearance for 31s without changing the suspension geometry.

x2 on this, a 1" Body Lift will provide more benefit for 31s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby427 (Post 1421943)
Well if it's any help we have 31x10.50x15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on 15x7 jeep wheels on a bone stock, original shocks and springs on our 97 Sahara. Only thing I had to do was adjust the steering stops.

x2 on this as well, if you use the factory 15x8 or 15x7 wheels with 5.5" of backspacing, the only thing you need to adjust is the potentially the steering stops to prevent rubbing the tire on the lower control arm when turning.

locked-n-rdy 07-30-2011 07:45 AM

on my previous 99' i had a set of 33-12.50/15 on a 15x10 wheel with it setting dead stock. it was ok for jus the highway but if i got off road then they would rub the back of the inner fender a lil and if it flexed a lil it wld rub the flares but as far as on the highway and around town no problems running them.

DirtyGirl 08-05-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyGirl
Hello my fellow "Wranglers"! I want to upgrade my tire size without a lift! My dirty girl is at factory lift settings. I've been on MANY websites for tire sizes and getting mixed info about 31's. I want to put 31/10.50R-15 15"x8" tire rim package. Will it work without a lift and rubbing? Will I need spacers?
Help please!

Hi gang! Just wanted to give an update! The new tires/rims with the specs I mentioned previously LOOK GREAT and there are NO PROBLEMS! I'll post a before and after pic shortly. Thanks for ALL of your help!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.