Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Supertop NX confusion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/supertop-nx-confusion-104875.html)

dakotaTJ 07-29-2011 04:34 PM

Supertop NX confusion

I ordered and received a supertop nx for my '99 tj the other day. I love the idea of being able to flip the forward part open for a quick drive. Geoff @ bestop had stated in an earlier post that the material was sailcloth, so that was a bonus. Since they don't make dark tan in that model, I chose spice since that is the closest color to mine. When I received it, I found that the material is the thinner standard, and not the sailcloth. A quick call to bestop confirmed that the only sailcloth nx top is the black denim color. Should of done my homework first. I do not want that color, and am somewhat dismayed not to have the sailcloth. Can anyone tell me if the standard fabric will last as well as my factory material? Will I really notice the difference between the standard fabric and the sailcloth? Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing.

Neil F. 07-29-2011 04:43 PM

Your 99 came with "standard fabric"

dakotaTJ 07-29-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 1420949)
Your 99 came with "standard fabric"

I was wondering about that. I have a feeling I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, lol.

Dakota 07-30-2011 09:40 AM

I've used an original Supertop (spice) for 9 years ... fabric is still in excellent shape. (Hardware and velcro is worn out, but sailcloth won't help that... and your hardware is different anyway). Sailcloth is supposed to be quieter - that's the only real advantage AFAIK (never owned a sailcloth top, so...)

dakotaTJ 07-30-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1422486)
I've used an original Supertop (spice) for 9 years ... fabric is still in excellent shape. (Hardware and velcro is worn out, but sailcloth won't help that... and your hardware is different anyway). Sailcloth is supposed to be quieter - that's the only real advantage AFAIK (never owned a sailcloth top, so...)

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I just haven't had any experience with the supertop fabric.

Neil F. 07-30-2011 02:04 PM

Bestop makes the factory tops.

dakotaTJ 08-03-2011 02:29 AM

I went ahead and installed my supertop nx yesterday. It came from quadratec with a cracked header. I called bestop about it, and they had a new header to me in two days....very nice! The top seems to fit fairly well, but doesn't seem to seal completely at each corner of the front windshield. I'm going to let the warm sun work the fabric for a week or so and see if that helps clear that up. All in all a nice top.

JAustin 08-12-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotaTJ (Post 1420924)
A quick call to bestop confirmed that the only sailcloth nx top is the black denim color. Should of done my homework first.

Hmm, that's interesting, because Bestop's website describes the Supertop NX as a "Factory Style Soft top complete with ... sailcloth fabric ..."* No mention is made that sailcloth only applies to particular colors or models.

* "Supertop® NX Complete Top With OEM Style Hardware. Bestop's Factory Style Soft top complete with factory style door surrounds, factory style windshield channel, sailcloth fabric, and tinted windows."