Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Do I need an SYE? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/do-i-need-an-sye-105069.html)

kicksforlaughs 07-31-2011 12:17 AM

Do I need an SYE?

I have a 94 yj that I just lifted a month ago with a 3.5" BDS kit. Even before I lifted it there were leaks from the tranny but obviously the lift made it a bit worse. Currently I have no problems with vibrations but I was wondering if vibrations are something that can develop with more use. If I were to get vibs I would probably end up buying an front xj drive shaft and get a porc sye kit but if vibs aren't going to be an issue then I was thinking I would save the money and just replace the seal. Opinions?

hazaelnolasco 07-31-2011 12:22 AM

yes you need one, and the leaks would be worse if you dont make it, it needs to be extendable

billytheyj 07-31-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksforlaughs
I have a 94 yj that I just lifted a month ago with a 3.5" BDS kit. Even before I lifted it there were leaks from the tranny but obviously the lift made it a bit worse. Currently I have no problems with vibrations but I was wondering if vibrations are something that can develop with more use. If I were to get vibs I would probably end up buying an front xj drive shaft and get a porc sye kit but if vibs aren't going to be an issue then I was thinking I would save the money and just replace the seal. Opinions?

Replace the seal! You shouldn't need an sye kit and the custom shaft..... now you ask if I have one with a 4" lift.... yes yes I do not because I needed it because of the lift but because I destroyed my tc and yoke and bent my driveshaft all at the same time..... rocks+skinny pedal+young stupidity=disaster. So I put one on since I was putting in a new tc, needing a new drive shaft and redoing my yoke on the d35 anyways. Obviously you had a problem with your seal before hand and take care of that if you have no vibes and your lift kit came with a tc drop then I say ur golden.

Jeep_Geek 07-31-2011 01:48 AM

I ran a 3.5inch with a t-case drop for 3 years with no problems. I would say you should be fine if you are not getting vibs right now. Just expect a little less life out of your u joints, not a big deal. I would do the seal first.

kicksforlaughs 07-31-2011 02:04 PM

The car is leaking from the transmission in the front and the transfer case in the rear. Also from the oil pan and differential :facepalm: So basically I just need to go on a seal shopping spree?

mrobison1 07-31-2011 06:04 PM

Yea areplace the seals. I run a 4 inch pro comp and have no issues with vibrations. 3.5 you will be fine without a SYE. 4wd told me that you don't really need one untill you go to a 5 inch lift.

Irongrave 07-31-2011 06:06 PM

SYE kits are a good thing to have. I like having one on my rig. t-case drops are pointless band aids for drive line vibrations. Why install a lift then lower the t-case where it can get snagged on rocks. If you get a good slip shaft you'll be fine if you add to your lift down the road.