Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Electric Throttle Control and power down (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/electric-throttle-control-and-power-down-105084.html)

owuboy 07-31-2011 08:45 AM

Electric Throttle Control and power down

I was driving on the highway and was going to make a pass. I put the petal to the metal and then whaa, whaa, whaaaaaaaa. The electronic throttle control(ETC) light came on and I went idle and had to pull over. I pulled the key out and restarted it and it was fine. This has happened twice(both while accelerating) since I bought it(2011 2-door) back in Sept. I haven't had it looked at because both times after a restart I'm fine. Anyone else have a similar issue? If so anyone know exactly what may be happening?

tuff2010 07-31-2011 09:19 AM

Sounds like it needs to go to the dealer..never heard of that happening..

oilwell1415 07-31-2011 11:46 AM

Does the check engine light come on? TBW systems default to idle, or just slightly over it, anytime a fault is detected. A fault should be accompanied by a code and engine light. Sometimes a code set in a pending status and doesn't turn the light on unless the fault happens again within a certain time period. Take it somewhere and see if they can get a code out of it. It sounds like there is probably something going on in the pedal position sensor when you move the pedal quickly. This is what warranties are for, I suggest using yours. This stuff can get pricey and even if the dealer can't find something wrong now you will have it on record as a problem in case it causes you problems down the road.

uvjeep 08-15-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owuboy (Post 1424897)
I was driving on the highway and was going to make a pass. I put the petal to the metal and then whaa, whaa, whaaaaaaaa. The electronic throttle control(ETC) light came on and I went idle and had to pull over. I pulled the key out and restarted it and it was fine. This has happened twice(both while accelerating) since I bought it(2011 2-door) back in Sept. I haven't had it looked at because both times after a restart I'm fine. Anyone else have a similar issue? If so anyone know exactly what may be happening?

Happened to me this weekend an hour and a half from home (2011 JKU). Flashing ETC light, rough idle, and no response when I stepped on the gas. We tried disconnecting the battery to reset, but it didn't work. Luckily, 24 roadside assistance got us on a flatbed to the nearest dealer who is (hopefully) looking at it today. Mine happened after I stalled the motor :redface: I could restart it, but nothing when I stepped on the gas.

nvkid 08-15-2011 10:25 AM

Has happened a couple times here when i coast downhill. Do the key dance to read your code. Mine reads P2173 (high air flow/vaccum leak).

uvjeep 08-15-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uvjeep (Post 1471797)
Happened to me this weekend an hour and a half from home (2011 JKU). Flashing ETC light, rough idle, and no response when I stepped on the gas. We tried disconnecting the battery to reset, but it didn't work. Luckily, 24 roadside assistance got us on a flatbed to the nearest dealer who is (hopefully) looking at it today. Mine happened after I stalled the motor :redface: I could restart it, but nothing when I stepped on the gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid (Post 1472077)
Has happened a couple times here when i coast downhill. Do the key dance to read your code. Mine reads P2173 (high air flow/vaccum leak).

Just heard from the dealer and he said it's a bad power train control module and will be replaced under warranty. :thumb: Now I need to go learn how to do the key dance. :)

kjeeper10 08-15-2011 11:19 AM

It tells you in the manual if the light flashes and shuts off- u should be good.
If the light stays on- get service. I've seen this problem and do believe there is a TSB
out --- not sure :)