Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Windshield Lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/windshield-lights-105260.html)

SharkusAurelius 08-01-2011 11:46 AM

Windshield Lights
 
About to order these,

Lights, Long Range Clear Black 6" Round 100w KCH-233

Light Mounting Bracket Black Pair KCH-7316

Do I need to order any switches to operate them? If so what do I get? And is that all I will need?

Thanks
Shark

jkjeeper06 08-01-2011 02:37 PM

Those lights come with the kit for wiring so you are all set!

RedBones 08-01-2011 03:32 PM

Those are nice lights but check your state laws about windsheld lights. In WV you will not pass inspection if you have any aftermarket lights above your driving headlights.

SharkusAurelius 08-01-2011 04:29 PM

So the wiring set will come with a switch? Im just wondering where and how it will be mounted/operated

Bawkbird 08-01-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkusAurelius (Post 1429006)
So the wiring set will come with a switch? Im just wondering where and how it will be mounted/operated


It will come with instructions on how to wire it and it does come with a switch. A lot of people run the wires through the door to the dash, but I ran the wires from the engine compartment through the firewall into the dash. Takes a lot of patience and time but looks clean and worth the extra time. For the switch I drilled a hole on the right side of the steering wheel and mounted to switch there.

TDUFF 10-01-2011 12:16 PM

Firewall wiring pass through
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bawkbird (Post 1429048)
It will come with instructions on how to wire it and it does come with a switch. A lot of people run the wires through the door to the dash, but I ran the wires from the engine compartment through the firewall into the dash. Takes a lot of patience and time but looks clean and worth the extra time. For the switch I drilled a hole on the right side of the steering wheel and mounted to switch there.

I have heard (somewhere) that there is a factory wire way through the firewall with a rubber grommet/seal just for this purpose - did you use this or drill one yourself? If the factory option, can you tell me where it is? I have looked around and not found any obvious way through yet.
Thanks.

trennmaschine 10-01-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you haven't ordered them yet, QTec has a set of 3" lights that put out 100W. The kit includes the wiring, switch, and mounts for mounting next to the hood latches. I have them on and am really happy with them. As has been mentioned, they also pass inspection in VA (just had it inspected) since they don't rise above the hood line and are switchable.

TDUFF 10-01-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trennmaschine (Post 1619319)
If you haven't ordered them yet, QTec has a set of 3" lights that put out 100W. The kit includes the wiring, switch, and mounts for mounting next to the hood latches. I have them on and am really happy with them. As has been mentioned, they also pass inspection in VA (just had it inspected) since they don't rise above the hood line and are switchable.

Are those wireless control? If not, how did you run the wires for the switch (thru the fire wall)?

trennmaschine 10-01-2011 10:51 PM

Not wireless - The lights are these -
Rugged Ridge 15207.70 - Rugged Ridge Hood Mount Off Road Lighting Kit for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
The switch is run through the firewall and mounted on the driver side pillar. The lights are run through the engine compartment in a wiring conduit.

Bawkbird 10-09-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDUFF (Post 1619262)
I have heard (somewhere) that there is a factory wire way through the firewall with a rubber grommet/seal just for this purpose - did you use this or drill one yourself? If the factory option, can you tell me where it is? I have looked around and not found any obvious way through yet.
Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, but I ran it through the firewall where all the main wires run right in front of the driver side above the pedals. I had to cut the wires and then splice them back together when I got them through.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.