Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Cracked windshield and bad luck... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/cracked-windshield-and-bad-luck-10545.html)

woody_k 08-15-2007 08:40 AM

Cracked windshield and bad luck...

The last new vehicle I bought for me was a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. 2 months after I had it I went on a trip pulling the trailer. A rock was kicked up by another vehicle and cracked my windshield. Cost $209

This past weekend, 2 months after I bought the Jeep, a rock was kicked up and cracked my windshield.
Cost $312

I did own a new vehicle in 2003. A BMW 325i. However that was originally bought for my Wife and 8 months later I bought her a 525 and I took the 325 and sold my truck. The 325 was "too small" so she needed the 525! Jeez!

Anyway I guess I am jinxed when it comes to vehicles I buy for me and windshields.

gordon 08-15-2007 09:53 AM

Cracking a window is better than a lot of other stuff that could occur. It sin't fun and costs $$$$$$$$$$$ but "O" well.
Now the first @##$%$# is behind you and good and safe driving ahead of you.

whiteyj 08-15-2007 09:54 AM

The other option is to lower the insurance deductable if you're going to drive expensive toys.

Walkeraviator 08-15-2007 11:15 AM

Kentucky state law... Insurance required to replace broken windshields deductible free...

Tommy Kelly 08-15-2007 11:47 AM

I must be cheap because years ago I had a jeep with a cracked windshield on the drivers side. So instead of buying a new windshield for it I took it out and turned it over and put the crack on the other side and drove it for the rest of the time I owned it. The inspection rules were that the drivers wiper wasn't supposed to touch a crack.

Dare2BSquare 08-15-2007 01:16 PM

Good thinkin. You maintained your badge of honor by preserving the crack. And saved some smack!

woody_k 08-15-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 120862)
The other option is to lower the insurance deductable if you're going to drive expensive toys.

I would never claim a window to an insurance company...even if I had no deductible.

Secondly....this is nothing compared to my BMW windshield rubber molding. That's a $500 plus job just to replace the rubber around the windshield.

Jeeps are not that expensive.

debruins 08-15-2007 07:53 PM

we replaced our windshield with insuranc on the van

y wouldn t u have insurance get into it?

woody_k 08-15-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 121180)
we replaced our windshield with insuranc on the van

y wouldn t u have insurance get into it?

In California they tend to cancel your insurance if you make too many claims. I would rather wait until I needed to make a claim than do it because I can. That and for sure your rates would go up....more than $312 per year for one claim. Travelers Ins Co cancelled me just because...no claims whatsoever. This was in 1989 when California passed that insurance intitative. The ins co cancelled just cuz.

Like another poster mentioned...it could have been had I hit some boulders while off roading etc. So I'll wait to make a claim if and/or when that happens.

Just another reason why California sucks. However we do have great trails!!!

JeepRocks86 08-16-2007 07:55 AM

i know in ky insurance covers all windows on vehicles. some one broke into my mom's 4 runner and they fixed it and something hit the rear side window a week later and they fixed that one too. I called around for the rear window and it was going to cost anywhere between 300 and 600 to fix. the insurance rates didn't go up either.

OdhinnsChick 08-16-2007 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your luck. Best thing you did was get rid of that dodge imo. =P