Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fuel Pressure Regulator (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fuel-pressure-regulator-105497.html)

empirepball 08-02-2011 03:00 PM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I went to my local dealership to day to get a fuel pressure regulator for my 97 4.0, and the guy said that I would have to buy a whole new fuel pump for $505 which I thought was ridiculous. Where can I get it or do i actually have to buy a new pump cuz i would rather deal with the long crank time till I ship out to Parris Island than have to spend $500.

Abnmarine 08-02-2011 03:11 PM

Taken from an earlier post by Jerry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1411983)
The check valve is located inside the fuel pressure regulator, which sits on top of the fuel tank. You can buy a new fuel pressure regulator for around $80 from RockAuto Auto Parts which will fix the problem which is way too common on TJs.

This is what the fuel pressure regulator looks like, I had to replace mine earlier this year for the same problem.

my98tj 08-02-2011 03:58 PM

or you could just turn the key on (letting the fuel pump cycle), turn the key off, then turn the key and start it.

Jerry Bransford 08-02-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnmarine (Post 1432143)
Taken from an earlier post by Jerry:

Yep they call it a "fuel injection pressure regulator" and they have three different models to choose from at RockAuto Auto Parts priced from $66 to $93 for the '97 TJ. I bought the mid-priced model which is working fine.

Stanton Tucker 08-21-2011 07:34 PM

So did your jeep have this starting problem too before you bought a "fuel pressure regulator"? and if so when you replaced it did it start up just fine every time after that?

Jerry Bransford 08-21-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanton Tucker (Post 1494699)
So did your jeep have this starting problem too before you bought a "fuel pressure regulator"? and if so when you replaced it did it start up just fine every time after that?

Yes, it is for that reason the fuel pressure regulator gets replaced. And yes a new fuel pressure regulator fixes that problem permanently. :)

empirepball 08-22-2011 07:07 PM

yes i had the starting problem before i replaced the fuel pressure regulator. But i just ended up replacing the whole fuel pump which had a a the regulator on cuz still had the factory pump in it. And i am glad i did cuz the sock at the bottom of the fuel pump which was like a filter was just floating around in the gas tank. And now my jeep starts up right away so it did fix my problem.

tkagad 08-22-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empirepball (Post 1498298)
yes i had the starting problem before i replaced the fuel pressure regulator. But i just ended up replacing the whole fuel pump which had a a the regulator on cuz still had the factory pump in it. And i am glad i did cuz the sock at the bottom of the fuel pump which was like a filter was just floating around in the gas tank. And now my jeep starts up right away so it did fix my problem.

What starting problem did you have? Also, was your fuel guage off?

blever 08-22-2011 08:08 PM

Fuel pressure reg doesnt always fix this. There is a check valve in the bottom of th "cup" that the pump sits in. If it leaks down the pump will lose it's prime and take longer to start.

Jerry Bransford 08-22-2011 08:10 PM

The fuel pressure regulator has the master check valve inside it. If it works, it doesn't matter if there is or is not a second check valve anywhere further down the line. Replacing the fuel pressure regulator with a good replacement will always fix the slow-start issue when it is caused by the fuel leaking back down out of the fuel rail and back into the gas tank.

blever 08-23-2011 02:32 PM

Jerry, normally I would agree with you, but my personal experiance says otherwise. I had the long crank time and replaced just the pump. I still had the problem so I replaced the filter/regulator with a new Mopar unit and the problem continued. I took the unit out again and disassembled the plate the pump sits on. It consists of 2 socks and a check valve. The check valve has a metal washer that sits on top of a rubber disk. When the pump runs it pulls the disk up and allows fuel into the pump. When off it prevents fuel from draining out of the pump. All I did with mine was replace both socks and flip the rubber disk over. It's been starting perfectly ever since.

Jerry Bransford 08-23-2011 07:00 PM

That the first fuel pressure regulator you installed did not fix it simply means it was defective, a not uncommon thing. My first replacement fuel pressure regulator was defective too which threw me for a loop.

Out of frustration, I later removed it and tested it (blew backwards through it) and found it had been defective all along. A second replacement fuel pressure regulator fixed the problem. And at under $80 a new fuel pressure regulator is also a lot less expensive to buy than a new fuel pump.

blever 08-24-2011 03:52 PM

All I can say is ever since I flipped the rubber disk over in the bottom of the pump my Jeep starts perfectly. I just think that people should know there is more than 1 check valve and the either one can cause a problem. Mine certainly did.