Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Decisions, Decisions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/decisions-decisions-105730.html)

whY402Jay 08-03-2011 06:49 PM

Decisions, Decisions

I'm stuck with some choices and don't know what I will actually decide.

BFG KM2?
General Grabbers?
Goodyear Duratrac?
Mickey Thompson MTZ?

They will be 33/12.5/15

Mortalis5509 08-03-2011 08:12 PM

What type of wheeling are you in to? That makes a little bit of difference actually. How much are you wheeling vs the street?

Example the KM2 have better sidewalls and better traction than say the Duratrac.

Three more to throw into the mix are: Cooper STT's, Goodyear MTR's, and BFG Krawlers (aka blue labels)

whY402Jay 08-04-2011 08:10 AM

Damn. I use this as a daily driver. I live in Nebraska so that tells you how much I take her out, HAHA.

I can go mudding when the time is right. But I want to go with something that is great for the road as well as trails.

Sooooo..... I need a little more input.

Discount Tire 08-04-2011 12:27 PM

Road and trails I'd say Duratrac or KM2. If you try to avoid the mud you could probably get a way with a good All terrain. (Falken Wild Peak, Nitto Terra Grappler, BFG TA KO)

97Sahara1325 08-04-2011 02:23 PM

I also live in Nebraska and it's a pain trying to find somewhere to go wheeling here, have you found anywhere that's more exiting than a flat gravel road?

Mortalis5509 08-04-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeetNyoEYE (Post 1436159)
I'm stuck with some choices and don't know what I will actually decide.

BFG KM2?
General Grabbers?
Goodyear Duratrac?
Mickey Thompson MTZ?

They will be 33/12.5/15

Duratrac is my vote for nearly all road and some wheeling. 50/50 go with cooper stt's or km'2. Cooper stt's are nearly the same at the mtz's but cheaper. Cooper makes them.

KidRock171 08-04-2011 07:10 PM

Km2 seems to be a great entry level extreme terrain tire. Not many complain about road noise. They're monsters off road. And they look raw. It's very general purpose that doesn't hit top of it's class in any situation but ranks top 2 or 3 across the board. (research) I don't own them but will by the end of the month.

Rogerg 08-04-2011 07:48 PM

Km2s have very soft sidewalls.I sliced mine several times offroad and finally replaced 2 of them for its beyond repair.

Out of all the ones you listed i would recommend the MTZs.I used to run those and they are tough,fairly quiet on the road until you start to wear them out but thats what mud tires are all about.

ESP 08-04-2011 07:53 PM

Duratracs hands down.

KidRock171 08-04-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg
Km2s have very soft sidewalls.I sliced mine several times offroad and finally replaced 2 of them for its beyond repair.

Out of all the ones you listed i would recommend the MTZs.I used to run those and they are tough,fairly quiet on the road until you start to wear them out but thats what mud tires are all about.

I wouldn't say soft... Nothing like the mt/r 's though.
Then again no first hand experience.

whY402Jay 08-05-2011 12:19 AM

What is the tread life for KM2, Cooper STT, and MTZ if I was mostly on the roads?

And how do they compare to Duratracs?

Irongrave 08-05-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1440422)
I wouldn't say soft... Nothing like the mt/r 's though.
Then again no first hand experience.

If your rock crawling you want a softer tire. get a little heat in it then they stick.

The MT-Rs are the same as any other tire and I've watched more then a handful get sliced out wheeling.

one more tire to throw into the mix the Pitbull rockers comes in a 33x12.5 15 radial and its the best trail tire I've ever owned. sure its not a sticky as a Red Label crawler or Creepy Crawler but they hook up great on the rocks and mud

Scoob 08-05-2011 06:05 AM

If you plan on wheeling it at all. Stay away from any tire that has a very thin 2 ply sidewall, like the duratrac. If its a street Jeep only, then the duratrac would be the best choice of those.
If you are going to wheel it go with either the STT or the MTZ. Both will do fine in the snow. And very good off road.

I am about to go to my third set of MTZ's, in my opinion its the best all around tire there is.

kfdjason7620 08-05-2011 06:08 AM

I run the kumho road venture at, perfect tread blend for me, and there's a Kelly tire I am going to look into next

Scoob 08-05-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325 (Post 1438848)
I also live in Nebraska and it's a pain trying to find somewhere to go wheeling here, have you found anywhere that's more exiting than a flat gravel road?

There is not many choices for us in this part of the country (I live in Council Bluffs) but there is a couple options.
Just Jeeps of Omaha is as the name implies a Jeep only club with about 75 members. They have a monthly wheeling trip to Tuttle Creek ORV park. And plan other events as well. Like a sept. run to Estes park Colorado, Wisner Tractor pulls and many other things.

There is Nebraska 4X4 which is open to all 4 wheel drive vehicles. They are based in Lincoln and are a great group of guys. I am not a member there so I don't know what all they do, but I feel sure they have wheeling events tuttle and many other places.

97Sahara1325 08-05-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob

There is not many choices for us in this part of the country (I live in Council Bluffs) but there is a couple options.
Just Jeeps of Omaha is as the name implies a Jeep only club with about 75 members. They have a monthly wheeling trip to Tuttle Creek ORV park. And plan other events as well. Like a sept. run to Estes park Colorado, Wisner Tractor pulls and many other things.

There is Nebraska 4X4 which is open to all 4 wheel drive vehicles. They are based in Lincoln and are a great group of guys. I am not a member there so I don't know what all they do, but I feel sure they have wheeling events tuttle and many other places.

Thanks for the info, I will look them both up. I'm glad that there is some hope!

01bud 08-06-2011 12:11 AM

I just put bfg km2's on mine.I was looking at Cooper stt,Goodyear mt/r .but for the money I got km2.just because they are harder rubber for more milage.
Mtr's are softer rubber,faster wear

KidRock171 08-06-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bud
I just put bfg km2's on mine.I was looking at Cooper stt,Goodyear mt/r .but for the money I got km2.just because they are harder rubber for more milage.

Pics or it didn't happen.

01bud 08-06-2011 12:22 AM

Look on the new tires thread. That's the pics

KidRock171 08-06-2011 12:24 AM

I'll believe you this time... But next time I'm calling the Internet police for your witchcraft!

Rogerg 08-06-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bud (Post 1444096)

MTR is softer than KM2 :confused:..are we talking about the Kevlars? I have both of those tires and when aired down to 12 psi the MTRs still look like it has 30 psi on them while the KM2 looks almost flat.

01bud 08-06-2011 09:02 AM

just saying tred life for those of us that drive alot on the street (every day driver)

Rogerg 08-06-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01bud (Post 1444575)
just saying tred life for those of us that drive alot on the street (every day driver)

Gotcha..i actually prefer the KM2s ride over the MTR i just wish the sidewalls are alittle bit more cut resistant.

KidRock171 08-06-2011 10:00 AM

I agree that chewing a sidewall is annoying. But I'm really getting tired of people actually complaining about it. Especially when discount tire offers full replacement no questions asked.

Rogerg 08-06-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1444665)
I agree that chewing a sidewall is annoying. But I'm really getting tired of people actually complaining about it. Especially when discount tire offers full replacement no questions asked.

Are you referring to me? I dont think its a complaint... people come here to get advice and opinions and thats the HONEST (unless you want to hear lies) opinion given about the product specially by people that actually own them.Take it for whats it worth and if you STILL want it then go buy it.

Seems to me like your commenting about KM2s and talk highly of it and you dont even own the tire.

And not everybody buys from discount tire.

KidRock171 08-06-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg

Are you referring to me? I dont think its a complaint... people come here to get advice and opinions and thats the HONEST (unless you want to hear lies) opinion given about the product specially by people that actually own them.Take it for whats it worth and if you STILL want it then go buy it.

Seems to me like your commenting about KM2s and talk highly of it and you dont even own the tire.

And not everybody buys from discount tire.

Not talking you down. It's just the straw that broke the camels back. If your sidewall strength is your main concern your only tire choice is the mtr Kevlar. And that irks me. It's a justifiable calculation. But I don't think it's a make or break quality to choose from

Rogerg 08-06-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1444863)
Not talking you down. It's just the straw that broke the camels back. If your sidewall strength is your main concern your only tire choice is the mtr Kevlar. And that irks me. It's a justifiable calculation. But I don't think it's a make or break quality to choose from

All i can say is if i had known about its weakness i definitely would have never purchased it.I read all the rave reviews too for i am also a consumer just like everyone here and rely on feedbacks.

But i wheel my rigs and if your a mall crawler then sure this tire is for you but its not for me and that is why i would never buy this tire again.I gave my review about the tire to the OP and its up to him to pick which tire is best for him.

Now if i irked you for telling my honest review and tell other Jeepers about its weakeness get over it .I get annoyed with people who argue about stuff they have no experience with but i get over it.

KidRock171 08-06-2011 12:45 PM

I already told you I wasn't mad at you for your honest opinion.
I would like to point that you do sound rather mad right now. Which kinda proves my point.

Scoob 08-06-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock171 (Post 1444665)

What good does a full replacement going to do for you on the trail?
That also really limits your tire and rim choices if you are only going to buy from discount tire. Don't get me wrong I would love to buy from DT but since they don't carry any brands of wheels or tires I am interested in buying their plan doesn't do me much good.
Its also not free, its over a 130 dollars a set for your "free" replacement plan.

Nothing personal but its like you pick your favorite tire of the month and all the sudden you don't want to hear anything bad about them. Doesn't matter if its true, you dismiss it as BS or second hand info. Unless its agrees with your view, then all the info is good.

KidRock171 08-06-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob

What good does a full replacement going to do for you on the trail?
That also really limits your tire and rim choices if you are only going to buy from discount tire. Don't get me wrong I would love to buy from DT but since they don't carry any brands of wheels or tires I am interested in buying their plan doesn't do me much good.
Its also not free, its over a 130 dollars a set for your "free" replacement plan.

Nothing personal but its like you pick your favorite tire of the month and all the sudden you don't want to hear anything bad about them. Doesn't matter if its true, you dismiss it as BS or second hand info. Unless its agrees with your view, then all the info is good.

No tire is perfect. I agree the sidewall of the km2 isn't as tough as some others...It's got awesome tread though!
I'm running out of ways to express what is in my head. Trouble with words today.