Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   The Level 8 ZX Upgrade! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/the-level-8-zx-upgrade-105881.html)

Discount Tire 08-04-2011 04:27 PM

The Level 8 ZX Upgrade!
 
http://2comfortsphotography.smugmug..../MacZX-6-L.jpg

http://2comfortsphotography.smugmug..../MacZX-7-L.jpg

Valve (TPMS) located behind outer lip for protection
http://2comfortsphotography.smugmug..../MacZX-4-L.jpg

Optional Bolt-on Scratch guard.... (pic coming soon)

Discount Tire 08-04-2011 05:19 PM

Optional Bolt-on Scratch guard:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/DSC00519.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...8/DSC00509.jpg

SlackerMD 08-25-2011 01:19 PM

Since these are fairly wide wheels, are there any issues running these with 285/70r17 (duratracs)?

Discount Tire 08-25-2011 01:31 PM

The approved rim width range for tire size 285/70-17 is 7.5" to 9/9.5" (depending on construction) so this size will work perfect on the 17x9 ZX!

Scoob 08-25-2011 05:32 PM

Man that is one sharp looking wheel with that rim guard. You should sell a bunch of those.

Sure wish they made them in a backspace that would be usable for a TJ.

Discount Tire 08-25-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 1508823)
Man that is one sharp looking wheel with that rim guard. You should sell a bunch of those.

Sure wish they made them in a backspace that would be usable for a TJ.


What size and offset/backspace are you after?

Scoob 08-25-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount Tire (Post 1508896)
What size and offset/backspace are you after?

Something I can run a 33X12.5. I guess something less then 4.25".

I run 4 7/16" now and anything bigger then a 11.5 (285/75)rubs. Tried 305's but it was a no go. Had to go back to 285's.

Ideally I would like to run a 33 x 12.5 /17 or a 305 75 16 at the very least.

IndyJeepMan 08-25-2011 06:17 PM

Id buy those right now of they were in 4.25- bs and 15" diameter!

Discount Tire 08-25-2011 06:21 PM

I'm running 325/70R17 Falken Wild Peaks on my LJ with 17x9 Level 8 ZX wheels and I only just barely rub my lower control arms in the front at full turn. I rub a little on the rear fender at full flex too but I'm planning for some flat fenders in the future so it doesn't bother me now. Here's some pics I just took.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...%208/ZX_TJ.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...208/ZX_TJ8.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...208/ZX_TJ3.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...208/ZX_TJ2.jpg

SlackerMD 08-31-2011 10:09 AM

Any need for centering rings for these on a jk?

Discount Tire 08-31-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackerMD (Post 1526561)
Any need for centering rings for these on a jk?

These have a push through cap. A Hub centric ring will not work with them. Have your installer install them by hand (without air tools).

SlackerMD 09-01-2011 01:53 PM

Okay, so i mounted the 285/70r17 duratracs with the Level 8 ZX's on the Jeep yesterday...I have to say that as nice as these wheels look in the pics, they are even better looking in person.

One thing i noticed though, is that i am now getting a very slight "ringing" down low, but i cannot for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. all center caps are on solid...Discount Tire, do you guys have any ideas?

I can really only hear it as i drive close to buildings or parked cars, but it is annoying enough.

Discount Tire 09-01-2011 02:20 PM

^
Post some pics when you get a chance! The ZX really is an awesome wheel and much better looking in person.

Not sure what the ringing is. It could be because there is more air flowwing through the wheels. I installed these wheels on my Xterra (16x8.5) and haven't noticed any annoying sounds.

Make sure to retorque your lug nuts after 100 miles.

Discount Tire 12-27-2011 04:07 PM

Bump, Are there any WF forum members running these yet? Lets see some pics!

craigbru 02-25-2012 10:18 PM

Hey Matt, after speaking with you via PM about the TKO's, ended up getting some of the ZX's. I just couldn't get over the feeling that the TKO's were just too 'JK' for me. I'll get some better pics when I can...

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/NqLAQ.jpg

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/IVNst.jpg

Scoob 02-26-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigbru (Post 2074970)
Hey Matt, after speaking with you via PM about the TKO's, ended up getting some of the ZX's. I just couldn't get over the feeling that the TKO's were just too 'JK' for me. I'll get some better pics when I can...

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/NqLAQ.jpg

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/IVNst.jpg

Where have I seen that Jeep before? hmmmm looks familiar :)

craigbru 02-26-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 2076366)
Where have I seen that Jeep before? hmmmm looks familiar :)

Scoob! Haha, it looks a little different than the last time you saw it. :D

Discount Tire 02-27-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigbru (Post 2074970)
Hey Matt, after speaking with you via PM about the TKO's, ended up getting some of the ZX's. I just couldn't get over the feeling that the TKO's were just too 'JK' for me. I'll get some better pics when I can...

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/NqLAQ.jpg

http://losias.net/imagehost/images/IVNst.jpg

Very Sharp! The ZX is one of my favorite wheels :thumb:

Did you order the Rock Guards as well?

4fit 02-27-2012 10:27 AM

Very nice. I almost went with these over the Strike 5.

craigbru 02-27-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount Tire (Post 2079366)
Very Sharp! The ZX is one of my favorite wheels :thumb:

Did you order the Rock Guards as well?

Thanks. I'm very happy with my choice. I'm not sure why I was even considering anything else.

I didn't get the Rock Guards, but likely will shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2079472)
Very nice. I almost went with these over the Strike 5.

The build quality and finish is fantastic. The Strike 5's were in my list of maybe's. They are nice looking wheels too.

Drock1979 03-09-2012 05:49 PM

what is the back spacing on the 16? I just saw this with the machined outer ring and really like them would i be ok running them with a 305/70/16 tire? please show some pics if anyine is rocking the two tone ones. Im in an 06 TJ BTW. I wanted 15" rims but dont like any DTD offers but like this one with the two tone option. Sell me on this wheel tire combo working.

Discount Tire 03-09-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 2122500)
what is the back spacing on the 16? I just saw this with the machined outer ring and really like them would i be ok running them with a 305/70/16 tire? please show some pics if anyine is rocking the two tone ones. Im in an 06 TJ BTW. I wanted 15" rims but dont like any DTD offers but like this one with the two tone option. Sell me on this wheel tire combo working.

The 16x8.5 ZX has a -6mm offset which equals 4.5" of back space. With a leveling kit installed you should have no issues running this wheel with 305/70-16's.

I don't have any pictures of the black and machined ZX at this time.

Drock1979 03-09-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount Tire (Post 2122580)
The 16x8.5 ZX has a -6mm offset which equals 4.5" of back space. With a leveling kit installed you should have no issues running this wheel with 305/70-16's.

I don't have any pictures of the black and machined ZX at this time.

Leveling kit makes me think you are thinking I have a JK but I have a TJ with 3.25 lift. I think I have heard that 4.5 is the max I can use but please clarify it will work on a TJ. Thanks!

Drock1979 03-09-2012 07:46 PM

Why are there so few choices in a 15 inch wheel? Seems like a missed opportunity if you ask me. Lets see some more styles in a 15. Preferable by the end of month when I will be buying new tires/rims, lol.

Discount Tire 03-10-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 2122736)
Leveling kit makes me think you are thinking I have a JK but I have a TJ with 3.25 lift. I think I have heard that 4.5 is the max I can use but please clarify it will work on a TJ. Thanks!

I wasn't aware that you already had a lift. You should be good to go as is then :thumb:

Discount Tire 03-22-2012 03:47 PM

We had a tough time finding a good section of rocks out in the Truckhaven area but here's a few shots of the scratch guards in use. The rings have been pretty durable so far. We're headed to Moab for EJS and hope to put them through some real abuse there. I was able to get some video out at TDS but I really didn't get the shots I wanted so we'll try again in Moab.

Here's the pics. You can see by looking at the sidewall of the tire in the last two pics, we were working pretty hard to scratch them up. My 325's are pretty wide though and they ended up taking most of the abuse. It definitely says something for the tire. The Falken Wild Peak has some seriously strong sidewalls.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_8766.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_8768.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_8785.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_8775.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/IMG_8776.jpg

Discount Tire 04-12-2012 04:14 PM

Kanati Mud Hog Tires and Level 8 ZX Wheels in Moab - YouTube

Skalve85 08-20-2012 06:05 PM

Just ordered 5, level 8 zx 17x9 wheels from DTD today! Wheels should be here Wednesday or Thursday I can't wait. :dance: I'll be sticking with the stock rubicon tires for now but will post pics when I get them on, also have Ace rails ordered but nothing about shipped, wonder who will win DTD or Ace haha

Steve

Discount Tire 08-20-2012 06:30 PM

Awesome! We appreciate your support Steve! Did you order the optional rock rings as well?

silver rubi 08-20-2012 06:44 PM

Would these fit a 2006 Rubicon stock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount Tire (Post 1439468)



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.