Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   drivers side brake locked (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/drivers-side-brake-locked-105922.html)

NHWRANGLER 08-04-2011 09:44 PM

drivers side brake locked

so i felt my 97 4.0 pulling hard left todayy. hopped out and felt the rim. it was hot. so i drove home, when i got home it was bright red and pouring smoke. so obviously the brake is locked. it lookes like there is a little plate missing from the back of the right brake that the left one has. it looks like it goes 3/4 of the way around the back side. not sure if i should have one there. but u can see the rotor when u look at the brake from the back and you cant on the left. what could cause this brake lock? i did a little light trailing today. nothing heavy. help!?

rubicon05 08-04-2011 09:58 PM

Sounds like what you are missing is your dust sheild.

NHWRANGLER 08-04-2011 10:19 PM

ok. how much, where, and could that cause dirt to get into the brakes and seize the piston?

snwchris 08-05-2011 07:35 AM

The dust shield is there mainly to keep debris somewhat out of there rotors/brakes. I actually removed mine cause I was tired of little rocks & pebbles getting caught in there during wheeling and after washing, hearing them grind.

The piston seizing would be general maintenance, any mud from wheeling will always contribute to the caliper evenutally sticking down the road. After each wheeling trip I make it a habit to remove the tires, brakes & rotors to make sure most of the mud is out. Another reason I try sticking to mainly rock crawling... lol

kfdjason7620 08-05-2011 07:44 AM

I had one stick last year, if I remember, only about $30 at autozone

TJe0454 08-05-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfdjason7620 (Post 1441153)
I had one stick last year, if I remember, only about $30 at autozone

yeah i got mine at pepboys for around there. bring in your old caliper when u buy the new one so u dont have to make an extra trip for the core charge.

Buddy B 08-05-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWRANGLER
so i felt my 97 4.0 pulling hard left todayy. hopped out and felt the rim. it was hot. so i drove home, when i got home it was bright red and pouring smoke. so obviously the brake is locked. it lookes like there is a little plate missing from the back of the right brake that the left one has. it looks like it goes 3/4 of the way around the back side. not sure if i should have one there. but u can see the rotor when u look at the brake from the back and you cant on the left. what could cause this brake lock? i did a little light trailing today. nothing heavy. help!?

Brake Calipers are more prone to hangup but you might want to make sure it's only the caliper and not the brake hose by jacking up your rigs LF wheel, " carefully" loosen the bleeder on the caliper and try to spin the wheel, assuming the wheel is still frozen. If it now spins its the brake hose that has collapsed. At that point you need to change out both the caliper& hose cuz the brake fluid has reached a boiling point, and of course replace the brake pads and the rotor, the rotor is for sure now warped...