Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Jeep hard top paint not sticking! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/jeep-hard-top-paint-not-sticking-106223.html)

BattleSignsUSMC 08-06-2011 05:50 PM

Jeep hard top paint not sticking!

This is embarrassing and time consuming, frustrating etc. I spent a day trying to paint my hard top black. Followed the instructions from a fellow member here and used krylon paint. I did plenty of sanding to ensure a good stick and even used a primer. Well after applying 3 coats of the krylon, each an hour apart, and let dry another hour the paint just wipes off like dust. The jeep is a 99 (not sure if that's important or not w the material).

I know humidity can be a factor, but it wasn't all that humid and had plenty of ventilation (huge fan in a warehouse).

Well I'm ready to try again and am thinking about trying boat paint since I figure should work well on fiberglass. Any ideas or recommendations? I've wasted enough time and would really like to get this done right.

stimpy 08-06-2011 07:20 PM

After sanding did you wipe it down with something like acetone ?
All I did with mine was rough it up and spray it, no primer since it was black and I was keeping it black

BattleSignsUSMC 08-06-2011 08:35 PM

Hi Stimpy, thanks for your response. No acetone, just used a tack cloth to get the dust off. The original color was tan so I thought I better use a primer. Sounds like you an easy time w this project. Did you use krylon as well?

dfry 08-06-2011 10:35 PM

Maybe you should try a degreaser, such as Marine Clean (by POR-15), or others.

simplyfishin 08-07-2011 09:40 AM

After you sand it wash it , and blow it off with an air hose, this use an adhesion promoter before you primer, and you should have no problems!

BattleSignsUSMC 08-07-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfry
Maybe you should try a degreaser, such as Marine Clean (by POR-15), or others.

Thanks dfry, I'll def add that step in. Maybe some oils got absorbed by the fiberglass over time.

1994 Jeep Wrangler 08-07-2011 10:24 AM

Marine Clean works wonders cleaning things up. I'd definitely give it a shot.

BattleSignsUSMC 08-07-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyfishin
After you sand it wash it , and blow it off with an air hose, this use an adhesion promoter before you primer, and you should have no problems!

Thanks simplyfishin. I forgot to mention but I did wash it and put the air compressor on reverse to blow dry it before tack cloth. Are there any recommendations for adhesion promoter that you may have used?

sparky 08-08-2011 10:04 AM

Watch using the compressor to blow it dry. Unless it has filters/traps the air can be dirty with moisture or oil. It won't be much, but any contaminant can mess up a paint job.

BattleSignsUSMC 08-08-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky
Watch using the compressor to blow it dry. Unless it has filters/traps the air can be dirty with moisture or oil. It won't be much, but any contaminant can mess up a paint job.

Thanks sparky, I'll take that into consideration.