Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Questions about new 2012 JKU (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/questions-about-new-2012-jku-106396.html)

TheAxe 08-07-2011 09:02 PM

Questions about new 2012 JKU
 
I've been lurking for months, but never posted. And I've never owned a Jeep. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and I would like to thank everyone for their contribution.

To cut to the chase... I will soon be ordering a 2012 JKU Rubi auto 3.73, and (even though I have been through every 2012 thread) I still have questions.

1. Tow package
I still don't understand the difference between the 2 packages. Does the Max Tow come with an auto tranny cooler? Different sized hitch?

2. Hard top
I'm leaning towards soft top only (I'm lazy). However, I thought I read somewhere that a JK ordered without a hard top would not include wiring for the wiper and heating element. Am I making this up?

3. Waterproofing seats
I want waterproof seats... I plan to keep the top down most of the summer and fall. But I am leary of leaving leather in the sun -- it will be expensive to replace cracked leather seats. And neoprene over cloth doesn't seem like it will work. So are there any actual waterproof seat covers that I can put over cloth?

4. Sound system
Do the sound upgrades come with the nav system? I would like an upgraded sound system, but don't need gps. Are there any aftermarket systems that fit into the console properly and work with the steering wheel controls?

Thanks for the help.

flyfish29 08-07-2011 09:40 PM

2. Hard Top If you are going to ever get a hard top get it from the factory. NOt sure about the wiring, but it will be best and cheapest way to get one- dual tops is great- I had that with both my last two wranglers (and soon with my 2012!)

3. I suggest the cloth seats which are weather resistant- they will get wet and they will dry. Just keep a towel in a dry bag in the back to sit on when it gets wet.

Not sure about the others (1 or 4)

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 08-07-2011 09:42 PM

The wiring is not there if you get a soft top only.

sandbaja 08-07-2011 11:41 PM

Max tow has a transmission cooler with the auto.

ed0985587 08-08-2011 12:14 AM

Also I 'think' the rubi comes with 4.10 standard? May be different with the new tranny

sandbaja 08-08-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0985587 (Post 1449600)
Also I 'think' the rubi comes with 4.10 standard? May be different with the new tranny

2012 Rubi comes standard with the 3.73's. For another $50 you can option the 4.10's

ed0985587 08-08-2011 12:41 AM

Ah ya you're right.

bo9roadking 08-08-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbaja (Post 1449608)
2012 Rubi comes standard with the 3.73's. For another $50 you can option the 4.10's

I think the standard transmission comes with a 4.10 and the auto comes with the 3.73. You can get the auto with 4.10 for an extra $50.

TheAxe 08-08-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep
The wiring is not there if you get a soft top only.

When you get an aftermarket top do your also have to get a wiring adapter? Or do the aftermarket hard tops lack electronic components?

Sf_Kilo 08-08-2011 12:30 PM

As far as the hard top goes get the factory one put on at the factory...
There are very few "aftermarket" hard tops for JK's and they are even more expensive than the factory one even after the fact and not nearly as nice...
Please note that the factory hardtop can take 4 months to be delivered if not ordered on the vehicle regardless of what your dealer says... I waited 3 months and canceled the order...
I can speak from experience that the wiring and PLUMBING required to put the factory hard top on later is a pain in the ass...

as far as sound goes no nav unit from the factory is going to play nice with the top being off and rain coming anywhere near it.... Not positive but I would really be careful with rain entering the vehicle and having any factory sound upgrades of any sort... The amp will be somewhere around foot-well level and that + rain = big $$$ to fix...

The best tow group to go with is Max Tow + the AHT trailer tow group (+$25 with the max tow option) that way you get the trailer sway programing and the tranny cooler with the 3.73 gears...

Also to clarify the tow package a bit more the hitch on both is identical, however there is no guarantee that the max tow is what puts the tranny cooler on there... though the only ones we have confirmed have it are the ones with the max tow package.....


Oh and make sure to pull the drain plugs BEFORE !!!! it rains

TheAxe 08-08-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo
As far as the hard top goes get the factory one put on at the factory...
There are very few "aftermarket" hard tops for JK's and they are even more expensive than the factory one even after the fact and not nearly as nice...

I'm not thinking I would use the hard top much if I ordered it. That's why I am leaning towards the soft top only option. From what I have read, I should be fine without a hard top.

Missouri winters aren't typically that bad (mostly sleet, freezing rain, and frost), and my vehicle is garaged when I am home.

That said, the thought has crossed my mind about needing a rear defroster... I've never owned a vehicle without one.

But if I get one and never install it the wife will never let me hear the end of it.

So why SHOULD I buy one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo
as far as sound goes no nav unit from the factory is going to play nice with the top being off and rain coming anywhere near it.... Not positive but I would really be careful with rain entering the vehicle and having any factory sound upgrades of any sort... The amp will be somewhere around foot-well level and that + rain = big $$$ to fix...

Does anyone know if the factory amp is on the floor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo
The best tow group to go with is Max Tow + the AHT trailer tow group (+$25 with the max tow option) that way you get the trailer sway programing and the tranny cooler with the 3.73 gears...

Also to clarify the tow package a bit more the hitch on both is identical, however there is no guarantee that the max tow is what puts the tranny cooler on there... though the only ones we have confirmed have it are the ones with the max tow package.....

I thought that all Rubi's had anti-sway control "built in" to the stability control units, making the AHT anti-sway unnecessary. Is this incorrect?

I was hoping to only have to buy one tow group, not both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo
Oh and make sure to pull the drain plugs BEFORE !!!! it rains

Good thinking :thumb:

Up Hill Bill 08-08-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1450858)
...I thought that all Rubi's had anti-sway control "built in" to the stability control units, making the AHT anti-sway unnecessary. Is this incorrect? ...

2012 Jeep DVD Manual says:
Quote:

ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM

Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Trailer Sway Control (TSC), and Hill Descent Control (HDC). All of these systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESC.



Sounds like all JKs/JKUs have sway control standard. But, note that manuals don't have Hill Descent Control, so, ya' takes your chances, I guess?


TheAxe 08-08-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill
2012 Jeep DVD Manual says:

Thanks for the response.

What does it say about a tranny cooler?

Up Hill Bill 08-09-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1451339)
Thanks for the response.

What does it say about a tranny cooler?

Nary a word. All I think we have been able to deduce is that at least JKUs with auto tranny and Max Tow (AHQ) have a new, large oil/air tranny cooler.

The manual isn't the final authority anyway. For instance is says an overdrive button for the auto is located on the center console. Huh? the only overdrive is 5th gear, no button.

demarpaint 08-09-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1452696)
The manual isn't the final authority anyway. For instance is says an overdrive button for the auto is located on the center console. Huh? the only overdrive is 5th gear, no button.

Hi Bill- Does the AT have a tow/haul button? If so does it change the shift points and lock it out of OD? Thanks........

Up Hill Bill 08-09-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarpaint (Post 1453066)
Hi Bill- Does the AT have a tow/haul button? If so does it change the shift points and lock it out of OD? Thanks........

No. There is no Tow/Haul nor Overdrive On/Off control (that I can find.) Manual says in section on instument panel:

Quote:

O/D (Overdrive) OFF Indicator Light

This light will illuminate when the O/D OFF button has been selected and overdrive has been turned off. The O/D OFF button is located on the center console.
But, that is incorrect. The correct description of overdrive is:

Quote:

DRIVE
This range should be used for most city and highway driving. It provides the smoothest upshifts and downshifts, and the best fuel economy. The transmission automatically upshifts through underdrive first, second, and third gears, direct fourth gear and overdrive fifth gear. The DRIVE position provides optimum driving characteristics under all normal operating conditions.
and:

Quote:

Overdrive Operation
The automatic transmission includes an electronically controlled Overdrive (fifth gear). The transmission will automatically shift into the Overdrive gear if the following conditions are present:
the shift lever is in the DRIVE position,
vehicle speed is sufficiently high, and
the driver is not heavily pressing the accelerator.

Ang. 08-09-2011 10:46 AM

You wouldn't need a wiper or window defroster with a soft top :)

I got leather seats figuring that they won't soak up as much water as a cloth seat would. Figure I'll keep a towel in a bag and just wipe them down if they get wet.

4fit 08-09-2011 11:27 AM

I would advise that you go for the 4.10 gears over the 3.73s.

TheAxe 08-09-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill
But, that is incorrect. The correct description of overdrive is:

So the manual has been a copy-paste job for how many years? (rhetorical)

TheAxe 08-09-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang.
You wouldn't need a wiper or window defroster with a soft top :)

Wouldn't need one or can't have one? Does ice melt at the awesomeness of the 2012?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang.
I got leather seats figuring that they won't soak up as much water as a cloth seat would. Figure I'll keep a towel in a bag and just wipe them down if they get wet.

How many years are the leather seats expected to last baking in the sun? I would hate to have to replace seats after 5 years.

TheAxe 08-09-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
I would advise that you go for the 4.10 gears over the 3.73s.

Why?

It seems like at highway speeds the pentastar is well within it's peak power band with 3.73 and 33's (~2100 rpm). I'm not convinced that 4.10 gears are necessary.

Do any 2012 owners have input on gearing?

MTH 08-09-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe

Why?

It seems like at highway speeds the pentastar is well within it's peak power band with 3.73 and 33's (~2100 rpm). I'm not convinced that 4.10 gears are necessary.

Do any 2012 owners have input on gearing?

4.10s aren't "necessary." I've got a 3.8 with 3.21s. So 4.10s certainly aren't necessary with the 3.6.

However, the 3.6 doesn't reach peak until north of 6k RPMs. Just a guess at this point, but I'd think cruising at 3k RPMs on the highway would be comfortable for cruising and would better capitalize on the extra hp. I bet the auto will downshift on the highway if you goose it at only 2100 RPMs.

Jeep's making the same mistake they did with the 3.8--everything is going to come undergeared. That's my prediction.

demarpaint 08-09-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1453418)
No. There is no Tow/Haul nor Overdrive On/Off control (that I can find.) Manual says in section on instument panel:

But, that is incorrect. The correct description of overdrive is:

and:

Thanks again Bill. I guess if you're towing on the highway just use 4th gear, it will shift 1 through 4, and stay out of OD.

Up Hill Bill 08-09-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1453864)
Why?

It seems like at highway speeds the pentastar is well within it's peak power band with 3.73 and 33's (~2100 rpm). I'm not convinced that 4.10 gears are necessary.

Do any 2012 owners have input on gearing?


Um..... There have been lots of discussions on gearing: 3.21 vs. 3.73 on Sports and Saharas, and 3.73 vs. 4.10 on Rubicons.

Until there's a lot more seat-of-the-pants experience driving the new engine, and especially driving the new auto drivetrain, it's going to boil down to your intended use and a good guess.

My opinion is pretty well known here, but, first and foremost, you have to make up your own mind... It's your Jeep!

Up Hill Bill 08-09-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarpaint (Post 1455475)
Thanks again Bill. I guess if you're towing on the highway just use 4th gear, it will shift 1 through 4, and stay out of OD.

Exactly right. :thumb:

jrohan07 08-09-2011 09:53 PM

I have AHT trailer tow and my build sheet says NHAP transmission /oil cooler.

Up Hill Bill 08-09-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrohan07 (Post 1455716)
I have AHT trailer tow and my build sheet says NHAP transmission /oil cooler.

Interesting. I have AHQ Max Tow, and I have the tranny cooler. Build sheet does not list a tranny cooler. But, it does list "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler."

sandbaja 08-10-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1455753)
Interesting. I have AHQ Max Tow, and I have the tranny cooler. Build sheet does not list a tranny cooler. But, it does list "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler."

I don't have the tow package and mine also lists
NHAP Engine Oil Cooler . I'll know next week.

daggo66 08-10-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1453845)
Wouldn't need one or can't have one? Does ice melt at the awesomeness of the 2012?

Can't have one with the soft top. The windows are vinyl. (Have you never seen a Jeep soft top?)

TheAxe 08-10-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
Can't have one with the soft top. The windows are vinyl. (Have you never seen a Jeep soft top?)

I understand that you can't get one on a soft top... but that doesn't mean that you don't need one. :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.