Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Moog ball joints and tie rods??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/moog-ball-joints-and-tie-rods-106439.html)

terminator012 08-08-2011 07:32 AM

Moog ball joints and tie rods???
 
I got a quote on these from a local automotive store the other day. I am thinking about changing my ball joints out up front and possibly my tie rods. Are these worth the money. They quoted somewhere around 400.00 for everything.

PTaylor 08-08-2011 08:57 AM

My mechanic uses moog ball joints when he can. He says they cost more but are well worth it. I was watching him replace ball joints in a vehicle one day and he was using the cheap bottom of the line Advance auto ones and was having a very hard time getting them to seat correctly. The person had bought all the parts for him and he was only charging labor.

after spending 30 minutes with the cheap ones, he got a set of moogs and it went together like it was meant to be.
The moog's were made better and fit perfectly. The cheaper ones were good but just wouldn't sit and cheaper construction. Seemed poor tolerance but I'm no mechanic so.....

He showed me the difference between the two and showed me why he was having a hard time with the cheaper ones....

snwchris 08-08-2011 11:32 AM

Well Ball Joints are typically about $50-75ea and you need (4) to do complete Ball Joint change, so right there your at almost $250-$300 in just Ball Joints. Tie Rod ends are usually a little cheaper.

Price them out thru Napa or Autozone and I'm sure you can see for yourself what the price is going to be.

Yea for good quality you want, Moog, TRW or Dana (spicer) ones.

jeepinmichguy 08-08-2011 11:48 AM

Moogs quality has gone down, lots of people are recommending XRF now. As for tie rod ends, this is a perfect time to upgrade to a ZJ V8 tie rod or Currie system.

terminator012 08-09-2011 06:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will look at some of the other brands and compare them. Where is the best place to find the other brands??




Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy (Post 1450555)
this is a perfect time to upgrade to a ZJ V8 tie rod or Currie system.

Someone else mentioned I do the ZJ V8 upgrade. Can you get these new?? A friend suggested I go to junk yard and look for used ones. I don't want to put something on here that is all ready wore out.

Gary2 08-09-2011 06:48 PM

I went through this last winter and it seemed like NAPA ball Joints were fine and were actually recomended by many at another forum I frequent which was a plus for me being I get a great deal on NAPA parts but MOOG isn't what it used to be . I was told to only use Moog if I like changing Ball Joints and I don't so I didn't

snwchris 08-10-2011 07:12 AM

You get the Tierod from the Junk Yard, I believe 93-98 V8 Grand Cherokee's had them or the ones you want.

Here's a good write-up about it, you can also get the Tierod new as well.
ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Defiance03Sahara 08-10-2011 07:25 AM

Is anyone running Synergy Suspension ball joints? I was looking into these.
Synergy Suspension PPM-4120 - Synergy Suspension Ball Joint Set for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, TJ Unlimited, YJ, Cherokee XJ, Comanche MJ & Grand Cherokee ZJ - Quadratec

jeepinmichguy 08-10-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminator012 (Post 1453038)
Thanks for the replies. I will look at some of the other brands and compare them. Where is the best place to find the other brands??

All over the internet, just search between here and Jeep forum to see what people are having luck with and then use google or a vendor on one of these sites to give you a good price.





Quote:

Someone else mentioned I do the ZJ V8 upgrade. Can you get these new?? A friend suggested I go to junk yard and look for used ones. I don't want to put something on here that is all ready wore out.
Yes, you can get it new and I would suggest it.

snwchris 08-10-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiance03Sahara (Post 1456376)


Never saw those before, but sounds basically the same as when the MOOG's were good to get.

Try them out and let us know how it goes.

EAD Offroad 08-11-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiance03Sahara (Post 1456376)

These are working out great in JKs, we've sold a lot. Unfortunately the TJ/YJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ version will not be available from Poly Performance Manufacturing/Synergy until the December/January time frame.

Black Magic Brakes 08-11-2011 04:42 PM

I do a lot of balljoints and the one time I strayed away from Spicer and went with Moog is not one I'll soon forget.

Built a front axle for a buddy. HP 30 and he requested Moogs because they are the best. 250 bucks later, he's got Moog Problem Solvers and away he goes. 5000 miles later he's back with DW. Swap out the Moogs for another set under warranty, (except for the labor part) and 5000 miles later we're swapping them again.

We did use the XRF brand as a test so we can talk knowledgeable, but had I heard from them what's been posted online, I would have gone straight to Spicer and never looked back. XRF says on 35's they are good for 35-40,000 miles and the same thing in Spicer is good for 80-90,000 miles.

At just over a 100 bucks a set, you're going to have to come up with a pretty whiz bang set of balljoints to beat Spicer for cents per mile of use.

necromancer_tat 08-11-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1461513)
I do a lot of balljoints and the one time I strayed away from Spicer and went with Moog is not one I'll soon forget.

Built a front axle for a buddy. HP 30 and he requested Moogs because they are the best. 250 bucks later, he's got Moog Problem Solvers and away he goes. 5000 miles later he's back with DW. Swap out the Moogs for another set under warranty, (except for the labor part) and 5000 miles later we're swapping them again.

We did use the XRF brand as a test so we can talk knowledgeable, but had I heard from them what's been posted online, I would have gone straight to Spicer and never looked back. XRF says on 35's they are good for 35-40,000 miles and the same thing in Spicer is good for 80-90,000 miles.

At just over a 100 bucks a set, you're going to have to come up with a pretty whiz bang set of balljoints to beat Spicer for cents per mile of use.

$100 for all for, is a set just one side?

Black Magic Brakes 08-11-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necromancer_tat (Post 1461711)
$100 for all for, is a set just one side?

100 or so for enough to do the front axle, or 2 uppers and 2 lowers.

necromancer_tat 08-11-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1461756)
100 or so for enough to do the front axle, or 2 uppers and 2 lowers.

I meant $100 for all 4 lol :D $100 for both sides upper and lower ball joints is a great deal in my opinion, and for parts that you think are quality as well, I'm sold! :punk:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.