Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   SYE & Driveshaft needed yet? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/sye-and-driveshaft-needed-yet-106527.html)

tj4mcranky 08-08-2011 04:09 PM

SYE & Driveshaft needed yet?

The short version: I'm new to jeeps and just purchased a teraflex 3'' lift, bilstein shocks, teraflex monster flex short arm kit, wheels and 33"x12.5x15 bfg's for my '01 TJ. I also have the new driveshaft, but dont have the slip yoke eliminator yet. My question is: can I install all of this (less the ds & sye) and drive it safely on the street until i can come up with the cash for the sye? What are the cons? Any info would greatly help. Thanks, guys.

jrmiller 08-08-2011 05:54 PM

As far as I know SYE and DS aren't needed until you have over 3 inches of lift so you should be fine, someone who knows a little more than me can chime in and tell me i'm wrong any time though :whistling:

ipath68 08-08-2011 05:56 PM

I'm running a 3.5 rubicon express and 33's without the sye never had a problem.

tj4mcranky 08-08-2011 06:19 PM

Thanks. I've heard many things like i can drive it on the street, but i shouldn't do rock crawling yet, which is fine for now. Will there be any driveline vibration due to the change in driveshaft angle? i just dont want to install this prematurely and cause damage due to the fact that this is my daily driver.

Ageless Stranger 08-08-2011 06:24 PM

There is a chance you will experience driveline vibrations. You'll just have to roll the dice. I took steps when I built mine to prevent vibes in phase 1, so that I could continue driving until I completed phase 2, which included a SYE, and driveshaft. You may need to drop the transfer case skid until you can do the SYE to reduce driveline angle.

doclouie 08-08-2011 07:40 PM

You may or may not need the SYE and the new driveshaft. Put the lift on and see. Some people need them and some do not. I am always in the boat of do not fix it unless it is broken.

my98tj 08-08-2011 08:08 PM

when i lifted my 98 3" i had to get a transfer case drop bracket to get rid of driveline vibes. i think it varies jeep to jeep.

tj4mcranky 08-09-2011 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I'm just gonna install the lift & tires, get an alignment & see where it goes from there. If need be, I can then sell my original wheels and tires to pay for the SYE if it comes down to it. Thanks again.

my98tj 08-09-2011 10:19 AM

to keep from having to sell the wheels, why don't you just buy a transfer case drop kit for cheap and then save for the sye and driveshaft? that way you don't have to go through the hassle of selling wheels/tires and then buying them again. just my $0.02. here you go. only $44.
Skyjacker Suspension TCL151 - Skyjacker Transfer Case Lowering Kit for 97-02 Jeep® Wrangler TJ with 3.5-4" of Suspension Lift - Quadratec

MPjeep 08-09-2011 11:30 AM

I just helped a friend With either a 2.5 or 3" that was battling a vibration problem and going through rear u joints like crazy. We did not have to install a SYE kit, but we did install adj rear upper control arms and brought the pinion to drive shaft angle to 0. Vibration is gone, and so far (about a month" no ujoint failures.

legman68 08-09-2011 02:51 PM

I've had my jeep for a year with 3" lift and no SYE and no u joint issues but do feel some vibes. Recent trip to a shop suggested it, but won't guarantee that's the problem. MP, good idea,maybe I'll try that first, gonna need them anyway right?

tj4mcranky 08-09-2011 03:29 PM

Well, if the worst that can happen is getting some rear vibrations, I think I'll just install the lift. If I get BAD vibes, then I'll try the xfer case drop kit before the sye. Guess it's time to get a working party together and roll the dice.

MPjeep 08-09-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legman68 (Post 1454135)
I've had my jeep for a year with 3" lift and no SYE and no u joint issues but do feel some vibes. Recent trip to a shop suggested it, but won't guarantee that's the problem. MP, good idea,maybe I'll try that first, gonna need them anyway right?

He picked them up used on craigslist for $150, They are JKS brand, P/N JKS7101. I think they are about 275 new. I didn't have very good luck with the Rough Country arms, they wore out in the adjuster. Now I am on my second set of bushings in the RE arms in the rear. I'm waiting to see how the JKS stand up to abuse before I buy a set of them. And YES, of course you need them! :thumb: