Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ lift question? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-lift-question-106615.html)

Jodaddy 08-09-2011 12:15 AM

TJ lift question?

I have a TJ, and im looking at doing a budget lift. Im not sure what size i should do, i dont want to have to extend my brake lines, rear gear anything or extent my drive shaft, so whats the biggest i can go? As of right now my jeep has 33's on it and it rubs when i cut the wheel all the way, and rides like crap.

As of now im looking at going no bigger then 3 inch lift and im looking at a Zone lift. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

97_wrangler 08-09-2011 12:56 AM

i've heard from other people on the forum that you need 5 inches total weather its 5 inch suspension or 3.5 suspension and 1.5 body. but i have seen TJs on 35s with no body lift and 3.5 or 4 inches suspension. i think that 35s are the biggest you can get with not having to change brake lines.

i think that is all correct. i don't know from experience but just from talking to people and reading the forums. if not. feel free to correct me. :)

UnlimitedLJ04 08-09-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodaddy (Post 1452719)
I have a TJ, and im looking at doing a budget lift. Im not sure what size i should do, i dont want to have to extend my brake lines, rear gear anything or extent my drive shaft, so whats the biggest i can go? As of right now my jeep has 33's on it and it rubs when i cut the wheel all the way, and rides like crap.

As of now im looking at going no bigger then 3 inch lift and im looking at a Zone lift. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with 2" bumpstop extensions in front and 2-2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1" body lift, with 1" bumpstop extensions in front and 1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

For the tires themselves you'll need to address the backspacing. You can do this with new wheels with 3.75-4.25" of backspacing, or 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers using the stock wheels.

If you're not prepared to do the modifications necessary then you should go down to a 31x10.50R15 tire.

Yellow_Fox 08-09-2011 08:03 AM

yea x2 what unlimited LJ 04 said "i think the cheapest would be 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1" body lift, with 1" bumpstop extensions in front and 1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles."
You dnt always want to go the cheapest route because there alot of budget boost kits like skyjacker that leave alot of valuable components out, which your gonna end up spending more for. its better to just do it one step at a time. With the 1" bl, 1" bumpstop extentions, 1" mm, and 2.5" suspention lift would probably be cheapest. Either way you would still need new shocks and other things anyway

erickpl 08-09-2011 08:05 AM

x3 on Unlimited's comments.

jp2611 08-09-2011 08:34 AM

x4 ? on unlt statements. If it is riding bad I would check on the OME kit---no it is not cheap but the ride is unreal and gain 2-3 inches depending on accessories and weight issues.
I had one (OME kit) installed in Feb and am very happy. When my 31's wear out will be upgrading to 4.56's BL and MML and 33's

Jodaddy 08-09-2011 03:36 PM

thanks guys any suggestions where to get all the components?

bighog85 08-09-2011 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Zone 3" kit and I run 33s with no problems at all. It comes with everything you need and I have no rubbing at all. I'm convinced that you get more than 3" out of it and I have heard several people say the same thing. This is mine with said setup and it rides great.

bighog85 08-09-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodaddy (Post 1452719)
As of right now my jeep has 33's on it and it rubs when i cut the wheel all the way, and rides like crap.

This has to do with your wheel backspacing as well. You can lift it all day long but if you aren't pushing your tires out farther you will still rub when turning tightly.