Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/)
-   -   Poison Spyder Rear Stinger Tire Carrier (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/poison-spyder-rear-stinger-tire-carrier-106675.html)

DTS 08-09-2011 01:35 PM

Poison Spyder Rear Stinger Tire Carrier

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._J8bzf-L-1.jpg

The Poison Spyder Rear Stinger Tire Carrier
is the ultimate rear bumper for hard core rock crawling. Like many Poison Spyder original designs, the Rear Stinger concept has been copied by many manufacturers, but none come close to the quality, function, performance and awesome appearance of the original. Built for light weight, high clearance, ease of use and a measure of rear-flop protection, the Poison Spyder Rear Stinger is designed for those who spend most of their time in the rocks and need a tire carrier that meets the challenge.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._L32La-L-1.jpg

The Rear Stinger is basically a fold-down spare tire carrier. By pulling the two upper pins, the tire carrier can swing down, making loading and unloading of huge off-road tires easier. Simply roll the tire up into the carrier, secure it with the provided 3-Way Spare Tire Strap, then swing the carrier back up and pin it in place. The main components are fabricated from NC-bent DOM tubing and CNC laser-cut plate steel.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._SE5sM-L-2.jpg

The Tire Carrier includes an integrated skid plate with laser cut lightning holes and Spyder logo. The Stinger hoop is NC-bent 1-3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing. It also has an integrated license plate mount located in the center of the carrier. Tabs for the lower straps and a loop for the upper strap provide a secure mount for the 3-Way Spare Tire Strap.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...3-010-02-L.jpg

The Upper Corner Mounts are designed to work with or without Poison Spyder Crusher Corners™ (we recommend using them with Crusher Corners™). They are fabricated from CNC laser cut and precision brake-formed 3/16" plate steel components. The Upper Corner Mounts use bolt locations already in place for your Crusher Corners™. The left side Upper Corner Mount includes a convenient CB antenna mount. The Tire Carrier attaches to the Upper Corner Mounts using urethane bushings and easy-to-remove hitch pins.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._RRW9y-L-2.jpg

The Lower Mounting Plate replaces your Jeep's existing bumper to provide the greatest departure angle possible. The Lower Mount Plate has two sets of heavy duty bushing tabs, where the Tire Carrer attaches using urethane bushings and Grade 8 hardware. The plate also features two integrated, CNC machined 1" thick heavy duty recovery shackle tabs designed to accept 3/4" recovery shacles (sold separately). The Lower Mount Plate attaches to the Jeep with countersunk flat-head stainless steel hardware. The Lower Mount Plate can be ordered with tire carrier bushing tabs to accommodate a variety of body lift heights. Select your body lift height in the options when ordering.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._GQ2WK-L-1.jpg

The Poison Spyder 3-Way Spare Tire Strap securely holds the spare tire in place during the most rigorous four-wheeling. The use of a strap allows virtually infinite adjustability for any size tire, while allowing quick, easy access to the spare tire without having to use any extra tools. All of these reasons are why similar straps are routinely used for spare tire hold-down duty in off-road racing. Heavy duty ratchet lets you easily adjust, tighten and release tension. Made of high quality nylon webbing with an embroidered Poison Spyder tag.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._jzksX-L-2.jpg

We also offer a "DIY" Rear Stinger Tire Carrier without the Lower Mount Plate. This would be useful for those who would like to use the Poison Spyder Rear Stinger with their existing bumper, or for adapting it for use on Jeep models and other 4X4's for which we do not yet make a model-specific kit. We provide mounting tabs to attach the Stinger to your bumper or mounting plate of choice. Here's an example of the DIY version of our kit adapted to an existing rear bumper...

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...08-02643-L.jpg

Axl 08-23-2011 09:05 PM

Poison Spyder Spare Tire hardware

Very Nice! :thumb:

97wrangler-242 08-23-2011 11:56 PM

What's the price tag look like. WF discount?

TBrownSTL 08-24-2011 12:17 AM

Holy hell. $745

97wrangler-242 08-24-2011 04:16 PM

^maybe when I hit the lottery.....

JeepAddOns-Chris 08-24-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown (Post 1503058)
Holy hell. $745

Not too bad of a price when you consider that many bumper/tire carrier combos out there run well in excess of that amount... Rock Hard 4x4, Warn, Fab Fours, Body Armor... and on the import side the Smittybilt XRC. Even the "cheap" ones retail for $360+ these days.

I think it's a heck of a deal for something of PSC quality and made in the USA.

DTS 08-24-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 (Post 1502979)
What's the price tag look like. WF discount?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown (Post 1503058)
Holy hell. $745

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 (Post 1505015)
^maybe when I hit the lottery.....

Sorry guys if our products aren't in your price range. There are cheaper alternatives out there, if cheap is what your looking for.

DTS 08-24-2011 06:47 PM

:D

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...Smith-01-L.jpg

Axl 08-25-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris (Post 1505088)
Not too bad of a price when you consider that many bumper/tire carrier combos out there run well in excess of that amount... Rock Hard 4x4, Warn, Fab Fours, Body Armor... and on the import side the Smittybilt XRC. Even the "cheap" ones retail for $360+ these days.

I think it's a heck of a deal for something of PSC quality and made in the USA.

Totally agree...I haven't seen any that look this high quality.

DTS 09-02-2011 01:39 PM

TJ/LJ Rear Stinger Tire Carrier

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...leman-04-L.jpg

TBrownSTL 09-03-2011 10:44 AM

Costs you like 20 bucks to make doesn't it.

GoldenSahara00 09-03-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown (Post 1535777)

PSC makes some of the best stuff out there IMO. Just to buy the two Drings on their bumper part costs more than 20 bucks at the store. :rofl: I would say it takes them around 200 in parts, and another 150 to ship. They have to buy the tools, pay employees and labour, powder coat, and design everything as well. The costs add up after that. Obviously they are trying to make a living just like any other person. If you don't like the product don't complain about the price, there are people willing to pay it. Sure we all wish we could mod our jeeps out for free but that just isn't gona happen.

Anyways sick carrier, On my wish list (or build list) :thumb:

TBrownSTL 09-03-2011 06:52 PM

It's on my list too. Just wish I could get it for around 550

JeepCreeper 09-03-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1535784)
They have to buy the tools, pay employees and labour, powder coat, and design everything as well.

I may be wrong, but I thought PS shipped their products raw, unpainted.

AlanRose1 09-03-2011 08:38 PM

I Love this carrier.. I would definetly buy it if i was doing more severe rock crawling. one of the down falls for me is the accessability of the trunk, and it cant hold jerry cans...can it?

GoldenSahara00 09-03-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreeper (Post 1536727)

You can get some stuff PC'd I know the diff covers for sure. All their stuff they were selling for currie had PC, options for bare metal. I am not sure about the bumpers and rockers and stuff, some stuff comes. I bet if you called and asked they would do it for you though. I was expanding on my point.

DTS 09-06-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown (Post 1535777)

Seriously? If you can make one for 20 bucks by all means go ahead. You could sell them for $40, double your money and put all of the rest of us out of business LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown (Post 1536667)
It's on my list too. Just wish I could get it for around 550

Did you see our Labor Day weekend special? The Free Shipping would have gotten you closer to your target, as these things aren't exactly cheap to ship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCreeper (Post 1536727)

Most of our products we do ship raw. We only powder coat a few of the small items that we can do in large lots. We've had some problems finding reliable PC vendors and also in devising strong enough packaging for some of the larger items to guarantee that the powder coat finish arrives undamaged. We are working on both of those issues and will be trying to expand our powder coat offerings over the coming months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanRose1 (Post 1536914)
I Love this carrier.. I would definetly buy it if i was doing more severe rock crawling. one of the down falls for me is the accessability of the trunk, and it cant hold jerry cans...can it?

No it does not have provisions for carrying cans. We've always said this isn't the bumper for everyone. It admittedly has a rather narrow market focus. But those for whom it is ideal really seem to love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 1537285)
You can get some stuff PC'd I know the diff covers for sure. All their stuff they were selling for currie had PC, options for bare metal. I am not sure about the bumpers and rockers and stuff, some stuff comes. I bet if you called and asked they would do it for you though. I was expanding on my point.

The Currie stuff is mostly powder coated but remember those are not our products. We are just liquidating their final inventory of those items and received them all at once from Currie. The fact that most of those are powder coated has no bearing on whether or not we powder coat our own stuff.

DTS 10-04-2011 04:25 PM

TJ/LJ Rear Stinger Tire Carrier :D

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...leman-03-L.jpg

jeepwrangler71 11-01-2011 06:44 PM

ya you could make one but its more like $50 .i made one a couple of months ago and turned out great. 700 dollars for that is WAY to much. poison spider LOL at you!

Cole50468 11-01-2011 06:56 PM

Do you make any for Explorers?:D

Jeepoffroad04 11-01-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwrangler71
ya you could make one but its more like $50 .i made one a couple of months ago and turned out great. 700 dollars for that is WAY to much. poison spider LOL at you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole50468

Lmao.

jeeperman 11-01-2011 07:28 PM

Saving my pennies!!! Will be the only tire carrier for this Jeep, after going through a couple on the last one... :thumb:

DTS 11-02-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwrangler71 (Post 1711142)

Nice first post on WF. Did you sign up here just to make this moronic comment in our thread? If you can make the same thing for $50, please do so, I'll buy as many as you can make. Let me know where to send the purchase order.

GREEN-MACHINE 11-02-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTS (Post 1713081)
Nice first post on WF. Did you sign up here just to make this moronic comment in our thread? If you can make the same thing for $50, please do so, I'll buy as many as you can make. Let me know where to send the purchase order.

i just gotta say, i love the concept, not having to lift that big heavy tire onto 3 lug nutz,,, awesome fab work ,,, now if you made one without the stinger, i would be all over it,

JeepCreeper 11-02-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE (Post 1713125)
i just gotta say, i love the concept, not having to lift that big heavy tire onto 3 lug nutz,,, awesome fab work ,,, now if you made one without the stinger, i would be all over it,

Now they need to make it automatic up/down to go with the new automatic softtop.
:)

Cole50468 11-02-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole50468 (Post 1711161)

Seriously lol

Jeepoffroad04 11-02-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTS

X2 I would be all over that.

Darren00 11-10-2011 04:00 AM

That is a bad ass carrier. Definitely putting some money aside immediately for one of these!

DutchmansLJ 11-29-2012 09:56 AM

this really caught my attention might try fab up the basket to still fit over the tire.

Would this be good for a 35 or more guys buy it when running 37 or bigger

DTS 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchmansLJ (Post 3046479)
this really caught my attention might try fab up the basket to still fit over the tire.

Would this be good for a 35 or more guys buy it when running 37 or bigger

I think most guys who run these typically run a larger tire, say 37 or larger. But it will work with pretty much any tire size, and the cool thing is with the mounting strap, the smaller the tire the lower it will sit, helping visibility and COG.

If you look at the first photo in this thread, I believe that tire was about a 34". It was a metric size and I don't recall the exact specs of it, but I think I remember calculating it out to be the equivalent of a 34. I think it looks OK there.