Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Total Newb Lift Question Here (2012 JKU) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/total-newb-lift-question-here-2012-jku-106978.html)

MajorChuck 08-11-2011 09:19 AM

Total Newb Lift Question Here (2012 JKU)
 
Im not a newb to Jeeping, Ive owned 2 TJs in the past and currently have a 2005 Rubi. What I am a newb at is lift/tire mods. Other than some basic mods like swapping out bumpers and adding a winch Ive never really done any serious mods to any of my Jeeps. Im in the market for a 2012 JKU Rubicon and have read just about every thread on this board pertaining to lift kits and tire mods. What Ive gathered from the wealth of information here is that 35s with a 4 lift should be a good fit for a 2012 JKU (auto tranny with 4.10 option).


The information that Ive been unable to find on this board is how the ride quality is impacted by adding 35s with a 4 lift. I know its a rather subjective question but this Jeep will be used as my daily driver so Im wondering, after adding the lift and tires how does the ride quality change compared to the stock 2012 Rubicon when driving in the city and on the highway. Is it softer or stiffer, steering more sloppy or tighter, more comfortable or less comfortable, is it incredibly louder, etc?


Id really like to add 35s and a 4" lift to increase the off road performance (plus it looks cool) however if it makes my daily commuting miserable maybe I should just leave it stock as Ill be spending a lot more time on pavement than wheeling. Id love to hear feedback from members here on how I should expect the ride quality to differ between a stock 2012 JKU Rubi and one with 35s and a 4 lift. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

daggo66 08-11-2011 09:54 AM

I don't recall many recommendations on this forum for a 4" lift. Every time someone does, most will remind them that a 2.5" to 3" lift will easily clear 35's. 4" is that area where other issues creep in such as drive shaft angles and steering/alignment issues.

MajorChuck 08-11-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1460206)
I don't recall many recommendations on this forum for a 4" lift. Every time someone does, most will remind them that a 2.5" to 3" lift will easily clear 35's. 4" is that area where other issues creep in such as drive shaft angles and steering/alignment issues.

Hmmm, perhaps I misinterpreted some of the information I read. I definitely don't want to overdo it and welcome any advice you're willing to give. That being said, can you address my original question assuming a 2.5" to 3" lift with 35's? Thanks!

River Hill 08-11-2011 04:06 PM

I hear AEV is coming out with a 2.5" spring kit that will work great with 35's, but I don't know much about it or what is included.

I am waiting to hear more.

Clutch127 08-11-2011 04:09 PM

I just ordered the TF 2.5" Coil Lift and its due to arrive at my house Tuesday. It gets about 3" of lift on a 2DR. It comes with front coil spacers, longer front and read coils, longer sway bar links, track bar reloc. bracket, and TF 9550 shocks.

Pretty inclusive for a 2.5"

desertgoose 08-11-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch127 (Post 1461411)
I just ordered the TF 2.5" Coil Lift and its due to arrive at my house Tuesday. It gets about 3" of lift on a 2DR. It comes with front coil spacers, longer front and read coils, longer sway bar links, track bar reloc. bracket, and TF 9550 shocks.

Pretty inclusive for a 2.5"

Please update me/us with a detailed review after you have it installed. I'm pretty much decided on that lift with the Bilstein's from ORW. :thumb:

Clutch127 08-11-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose (Post 1461653)
Please update me/us with a detailed review after you have it installed. I'm pretty much decided on that lift with the Bilstein's from ORW. :thumb:

Oh dont worry, Ill have a ton of info for everyone :dance:

I was going to get Bilstein's but it was more than i wanted to spend at the moment. I dont think i will be disappointed with the TF ones though. I ordered from NR4x4...they gave me a great deal!

mgerken1 08-11-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChuck (Post 1460081)
Im not a newb to Jeeping, Ive owned 2 TJs in the past and currently have a 2005 Rubi. What I am a newb at is lift/tire mods. Other than some basic mods like swapping out bumpers and adding a winch Ive never really done any serious mods to any of my Jeeps. Im in the market for a 2012 JKU Rubicon and have read just about every thread on this board pertaining to lift kits and tire mods. What Ive gathered from the wealth of information here is that 35s with a 4 lift should be a good fit for a 2012 JKU (auto tranny with 4.10 option).


The information that Ive been unable to find on this board is how the ride quality is impacted by adding 35s with a 4 lift. I know its a rather subjective question but this Jeep will be used as my daily driver so Im wondering, after adding the lift and tires how does the ride quality change compared to the stock 2012 Rubicon when driving in the city and on the highway. Is it softer or stiffer, steering more sloppy or tighter, more comfortable or less comfortable, is it incredibly louder, etc?


Id really like to add 35s and a 4" lift to increase the off road performance (plus it looks cool) however if it makes my daily commuting miserable maybe I should just leave it stock as Ill be spending a lot more time on pavement than wheeling. Id love to hear feedback from members here on how I should expect the ride quality to differ between a stock 2012 JKU Rubi and one with 35s and a 4 lift. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

4 Inch lift on a JK is not necessary. 3" is the sweet spot in my opinion especially with a 4 door. My 2 door looks great and I think if it were a 4 door would be money too. 3" perfect on JK's and 35"s, although even 2.5" is doable especially for 2 doors.

Post pics when done!!! No fear.

joe002 08-11-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1460206)
I don't recall many recommendations on this forum for a 4" lift. Every time someone does, most will remind them that a 2.5" to 3" lift will easily clear 35's. 4" is that area where other issues creep in such as drive shaft angles and steering/alignment issues.

X2

My 2008 with 35s and a TeraFlex 2.5" spring lift. I don't have any clearance issues/rubbing:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_5129.jpg

I think the ride is as good or better than stock, though I've had the lift so long it's kind of hard to remember stock.

daggo66 08-12-2011 07:06 AM

Ride quality is completely subjective and different kits will give different results. Some people, like myself, think a stiffer ride is "better". Others would thing a softer ride is better. Gas shocks will give a stiffer ride in general than hydro.

off a cough 08-12-2011 07:22 AM

Anybody used the Old Man Emu kits for JKs? I had the OMEs on my TJ Rubi and it gave a nice soft ride with the springs countered by gas charged shocks. It was a very comfortable and daily-driven 2.5" TJ lift.

The JKs have softer factory springs to begin with, and I'm not sure if ARB produced the same kind of springs in the OME JK kit.

daggo66 08-12-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1463285)
The JKs have softer factory springs to begin with, and I'm not sure if ARB produced the same kind of springs in the OME JK kit.

Softer than what? There is a wide range of spring rates in the JK, from soft to very stiff.

off a cough 08-12-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1463295)
Softer than what? There is a wide range of spring rates in the JK, from soft to very stiff.

Factory JK springs are softer than factory TJ springs were. One of a number of reasons why the ride is so much nicer (along with wheelbase, weight, longer arms, etc.)

MajorChuck 08-12-2011 08:21 AM

I'd prefer a ride that is "softer" compared to the stock JKU Rubi. That being said, can anyone recommend a specific lift/tire/wheel combination (and specific brand) that would accomplish this both on the pavement and when wheeling?

I don't have a budget limitation as I've learned over the years that you truly do get what you pay for and the majority of the time if you "go cheap" it usually ends up costing you more in the long run. My philosophy is buy the very best product possible and take good care of it. It may cost you more upfront but over the long-term you'll come out ahead.

daggo66 08-12-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1463335)
Factory JK springs are softer than factory TJ springs were. One of a number of reasons why the ride is so much nicer (along with wheelbase, weight, longer arms, etc.)

I'm curious, can you give references to this information?

daggo66 08-12-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorChuck (Post 1463366)
I'd prefer a ride that is "softer" compared to the stock JKU Rubi. That being said, can anyone recommend a specific lift/tire/wheel combination (and specific brand) that would accomplish this both on the pavement and when wheeling?

I don't have a budget limitation as I've learned over the years that you truly do get what you pay for and the majority of the time if you "go cheap" it usually ends up costing you more in the long run. My philosophy is buy the very best product possible and take good care of it. It may cost you more upfront but over the long-term you'll come out ahead.

Then you will definitely want to ditch the Rubicon gas shocks in favor of hydro shocks. Just an FYI, "the very best" shocks will most likely always be gas charged.

MTH 08-12-2011 08:41 AM

I've never actually driven in one, but I'd expect something like this would ride very well.

MajorChuck 08-14-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe002 (Post 1462824)
X2

My 2008 with 35s and a TeraFlex 2.5" spring lift. I don't have any clearance issues/rubbing:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_5129.jpg

I think the ride is as good or better than stock, though I've had the lift so long it's kind of hard to remember stock.

Thanks for the feedback. Great looking Jeep!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.