Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Advice from the wise on building up...is this right? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/advice-from-the-wise-on-building-up-is-this-right-107057.html)

JeepForever 08-11-2011 06:12 PM

Advice from the wise on building up...is this right?
 
Ok guys, a lot of info but I need some help...

Im 17 so im new to this stuff but I have a 5-speed 2004 TJ. It's got a d35 with 3.07 gears and 33x12.5 tires and I'm looking to save up to regear to 4.56...from what I've read, it's probably smart in the long run to invest in a new axle rather than throwing money at the d35...so, then I looked at the D44 and read that i might as well go for the more powerful 8.8 while I was at it.

SO, does this plan make sense? To buy an 8.8 axle for the rear and then regear my jeep to 4.56? I do moderate off roading, nothing extreme at all, and I'll be going to college in a year so I don't NEED the 8.8 now at all.. But, my question is, as far as sensibility and bang for my buck, is this the best way to go?

Like I said, I'm new to this so I may sound crazy but please help me out and point me in the right direction...you all are the experts! Thanks in advance.

Splnkr 08-11-2011 06:43 PM

I have a 1999 3 speed automatic with Dana 30 front, Aussie Locker, and 3.07 gears, and the much maligned Dana 35 rear. 33x12.5's, too. Horrible mileage. I moderately wheel also. Sitting in my basement as I type is a Ford 8.8 axle. I am going to upgrade just because I like the peace of mind, and tinkering with my Jeep. Granted a direct bolt in D44 is prolly the best option, it ain't cheap or easy to find.

My 8.8 is geared 4.10, so I am gonna just go with this ratio for now and regear the front to match. But many, many folks have told me to just let well enough alone, that I'd likely never grenade the D35. This is a point of dispute among many Jeepers. I've been told to just wait until it (the D35) fails (if ever). Others say it is "just a matter of time". I say it depends on your pocketbook and how you wheel. If you can afford the thousands it will likely cost to upgrade to the 8.8 and regear your D30, then go for it. I'm doing my project a bit at a time, and it will be late next year before I'm ready to drop it all in.

My main reason for the 8.8 was that it already has 4.10 gears, and I can save a chunk there in regearing the front. If you're looking at 4.56, then you may have to regear two, unless you can find an 8.8 with matching ratio. Plus, the 8.8 will likely require upper and lower adjustable control arms, a new drive shaft, possibly a SYE (but not necessarily--I'm gonna put one in just because), brackets, new brake lines and accessories.....

There are also several after market D35 strengthening kits available too, for much less. See Superior Axle and Gear D35 kits.

Just my drunken thoughts...

CG

MikeMTJ 08-11-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splnkr
I have a 1999 3 speed automatic with Dana 30 front, Aussie Locker, and 3.07 gears, and the much maligned Dana 35 rear. 33x12.5's, too. Horrible mileage. I moderately wheel also. Sitting in my basement as I type is a Ford 8.8 axle. I am going to upgrade just because I like the peace of mind, and tinkering with my Jeep. Granted a direct bolt in D44 is prolly the best option, it ain't cheap or easy to find.

My 8.8 is geared 4.10, so I am gonna just go with this ratio for now and regear the front to match. But many, many folks have told me to just let well enough alone, that I'd likely never grenade the D35. This is a point of dispute among many Jeepers. I've been told to just wait until it (the D35) fails (if ever). Others say it is "just a matter of time". I say it depends on your pocketbook and how you wheel. If you can afford the thousands it will likely cost to upgrade to the 8.8 and regear your D30, then go for it. I'm doing my project a bit at a time, and it will be late next year before I'm ready to drop it all in.

My main reason for the 8.8 was that it already has 4.10 gears, and I can save a chunk there in regearing the front. If you're looking at 4.56, then you may have to regear two, unless you can find an 8.8 with matching ratio. Plus, the 8.8 will likely require upper and lower adjustable control arms, a new drive shaft, possibly a SYE (but not necessarily--I'm gonna put one in just because), brackets, new brake lines and accessories.....

There are also several after market D35 strengthening kits available too, for much less. See Superior Axle and Gear D35 kits.

Just my drunken thoughts...

CG

If your 8.8 is 4.10, you could grab a D30 from a 2.5L YJ that had a manual tranny. It will have 4.10s. That will save you a ton of money.

MikeMTJ 08-11-2011 06:48 PM

And to the OP, if you can't weld....an 8.8 will cost you close to the D44. It all depends on what kind of shops are around you.

Splnkr 08-11-2011 06:51 PM

Yeah, still looking for these, but have a pal with gearing expertise and a discount.....;-) Thanks for reminding me about this...


Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1461865)
If your 8.8 is 4.10, you could grab a D30 from a 2.5L YJ that had a manual tranny. It will have 4.10s. That will save you a ton of money.


jeepinmichguy 08-11-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1461865)
If your 8.8 is 4.10, you could grab a D30 from a 2.5L YJ that had a manual tranny. It will have 4.10s. That will save you a ton of money.

Why would you suggest a YJ axle for a TJ? He is better off getting a 4 popper LP 30 from a TJ with 4.10's or a bolt in HP 30 from a XJ and regearing.

JeepForever 08-11-2011 07:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I know it's gonna be expensive to do but i just want to try and save up so I can do it right the first time. I looked at the Super d35 too, but came away with the impression that it was still smarter to just bite the bullet on something like the d44. I could be wrong.

I can't weld so im looking at having to pay a shop for this stuff. If I choose to forget the d35 and upgrade my axle, which do you think I should look at getting for 4.56 gears...the D44 or 8.8?

I know this is gonna be expensive but I'm just trying to understand my best options here

JeepForever 08-11-2011 07:11 PM

I'm just looking for opinions on what you would do if you had a D35, 3.07 gears, 33" tires and wanted to regear to 4.56.
Sorry if I'm being confusing. Thanks

jeepinmichguy 08-11-2011 07:21 PM

The Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 are both great options for 35-36 inch tires matched with HP30 in the front. With a regear neither will be cheap. Also with the 8.8 I have yet to meet anyone that has not had to install a SYE/ CV rear shaft and at least adjustable UCA's (to adjust the pinion angle). If the shop setting up the brackets on the 8.8 takes their time and gets the pinion angle perfect you may not need it but I doubt they would. Not doing the work yourself on the SYE/CV and adj UCA's will add another $600-$800 on top of the axle. With the 44 you should just have to modify your DS.

The 8.8 got a "being cheap to install" reputation with YJ owners since it is much more simple to install in a leaf sprung YJ.

JeepForever 08-11-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy (Post 1461968)
The Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 are both great options for 35-36 inch tires matched with HP30 in the front. With a regear neither will be cheap. Also with the 8.8 I have yet to meet anyone that has not had to install a SYE/ CV rear shaft and at least adjustable UCA's (to adjust the pinion angle). Not doing the work yourself on just that alone will add another $600-$800 on top of the axle. With the 44 you will just have to modify your DS.

The 8.8 got a "being cheap to install" reputation with YJ owners since it is much more simple to install in a leaf sprung YJ.

Gotcha. And am I correct in thinking that although the 8.8 is technically stronger than the d44, it doesn't really matter since the 44 is more than capable of handling the most extreme trails (which I won't be doing anytime soon). Given that, since the 44 is a lot less work, then thats probably my best option?

TJe0454 08-11-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splnkr (Post 1461853)
I have a 1999 3 speed automatic with Dana 30 front, Aussie Locker, and 3.07 gears, and the much maligned Dana 35 rear. 33x12.5's, too. Horrible mileage. I moderately wheel also. Sitting in my basement as I type is a Ford 8.8 axle. I am going to upgrade just because I like the peace of mind, and tinkering with my Jeep. Granted a direct bolt in D44 is prolly the best option, it ain't cheap or easy to find.

My 8.8 is geared 4.10, so I am gonna just go with this ratio for now and regear the front to match. But many, many folks have told me to just let well enough alone, that I'd likely never grenade the D35. This is a point of dispute among many Jeepers. I've been told to just wait until it (the D35) fails (if ever). Others say it is "just a matter of time". I say it depends on your pocketbook and how you wheel. If you can afford the thousands it will likely cost to upgrade to the 8.8 and regear your D30, then go for it. I'm doing my project a bit at a time, and it will be late next year before I'm ready to drop it all in.

My main reason for the 8.8 was that it already has 4.10 gears, and I can save a chunk there in regearing the front. If you're looking at 4.56, then you may have to regear two, unless you can find an 8.8 with matching ratio. Plus, the 8.8 will likely require upper and lower adjustable control arms, a new drive shaft, possibly a SYE (but not necessarily--I'm gonna put one in just because), brackets, new brake lines and accessories.....

There are also several after market D35 strengthening kits available too, for much less. See Superior Axle and Gear D35 kits.

Just my drunken thoughts...

CG

if you got a front axle from a 4 banger, you wouldnt have to regear. they have 4.10s

jeepinmichguy 08-11-2011 07:42 PM

Check this out, they actually have a non cv rear shaft option now. May be a great option for you. FWIW I purchased the wifes 8.8 for her TJ from them and have had nothing but good things to say except for the paint job on it.

Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap

To answer you question whether you go with a 8.8 or 44 you have a great axle for 35-36 inch tires. Anything bigger think 1 tons F/R.

JeepForever 08-11-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy (Post 1462045)
Check this out, they actually have a non cv rear shaft option now. May be a great option for you. FWIW I purchased the wifes 8.8 for her TJ from them and have had nothing but good things to say except for the paint job on it.

Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap

To answer you question whether you go with a 8.8 or 44 you have a great axle for 35-36 inch tires. Anything bigger think 1 tons F/R.

I've looked at that, that's pretty sweet.

I'm just struggling trying to decide what I really need. Here's where I'm at: the 3.07 gears and 33's are really bad and I need to regear... I know I'm not going to be wheeling hard at all any time soon so I start to tell myself that buying an 8.8 is a little ridiculous (I'm not exactly gonna need an 8.8 equipped rock crawler at college). But then I tell myself i would be wasting my money to regear my D35 only to find out I need to upgrade again whenever I do start serious wheeling in the future. What do you guys think? Is it overkill?

MikeMTJ 08-11-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy (Post 1461914)
Why would you suggest a YJ axle for a TJ? He is better off getting a 4 popper LP 30 from a TJ with 4.10's or a bolt in HP 30 from a XJ and regearing.

You didn't read my post. It was to Splnkr who has a 1993.

jeepinmichguy 08-11-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepForever (Post 1462232)
I've looked at that, that's pretty sweet.

I'm just struggling trying to decide what I really need. Here's where I'm at: the 3.07 gears and 33's are really bad and I need to regear... I know I'm not going to be wheeling hard at all any time soon so I start to tell myself that buying an 8.8 is a little ridiculous (I'm not exactly gonna need an 8.8 equipped rock crawler at college). But then I tell myself i would be wasting my money to regear my D35 only to find out I need to upgrade again whenever I do start serious wheeling in the future. What do you guys think? Is it overkill?

I bler a Dana 35 on 31 inch BFG AT's with a 4 cylander, open diffs, and 4.10 stock gearing. I would upgrade.

jeepinmichguy 08-11-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1462247)
You didn't read my post. It was to Splnkr who has a 1993.

I read it, just didn't notice the guy you quoted.

Turtles TJ 08-11-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 1462247)
You didn't read my post. It was to Splnkr who has a 1993.

Actually, Splnkr has a 1999 3 speed, not 1993.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splnkr (Post 1461853)
I have a 1999 3 speed automatic with Dana 30 front, Aussie Locker, and 3.07 gears, and the much maligned Dana 35 rear. 33x12.5's, too.


Paabs 08-12-2011 02:45 PM

I have a related question about this. How much does it cost to regear a d30 and d35 from 3.01 to 4.xx.?

jeepinmichguy 08-12-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy (Post 1462348)
I blew a Dana 35 on 31 inch BFG AT's with a 4 cylander, open diffs, and 4.10 stock gearing. I would upgrade.

Supposed to say blew, it won't let me edit.

jeepinmichguy 08-12-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paabs (Post 1464493)
I have a related question about this. How much does it cost to regear a d30 and d35 from 3.01 to 4.xx.?

You should find someone who will do it for $900-$1200 including parts. Any more and you are getting ripped off. Average is $500-$600 per axle.

JeepForever 08-12-2011 03:33 PM

alright so after reading everything i think I'm looking at two options:

1) I could just leave it how it is keep the d35 and regear front and back to 4.56

But I don't think that's smart and since this is what I drive everyday I don't want it to unexpectedly break or anything. SO

2) Im thinking about saving for just a basic complete 8.8 bolt in from ECGS with 4.56 gears. Then I would just have to have the money to take it to get it installed and at the same time have my front D30 regeared to 4.56 as well.

Is that right or am I off? With a D30 front 8.8 rear 33" tires and 4.56 gears would I be all set and good to go? Or does the d30 need work for 4.56?

Thanks for the help :)

necromancer_tat 08-12-2011 04:05 PM

I love my 8.8!!! :dance: But like stated earlier I've got a transfer case SYE and a CV driveshaft also though. I'm running the Dana 30 LP up front on 35's and my Jeep stops better than my Rubicon with 44's F/R does with factory sized 31 inch tires. My 8.8 has disk breaks, and so does the rear 44 on my Rubi, I don't know what makes it stop better though. I'm running factory control arms on the 8.8, the pinion adjustment was either made by the shop that installed it, or maybe the SYE/CV combo is helping out in that reguard :confused:

necromancer_tat 08-12-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepForever (Post 1464638)
alright so after reading everything i think I'm looking at two options:

1) I could just leave it how it is keep the d35 and regear front and back to 4.56

But I don't think that's smart and since this is what I drive everyday I don't want it to unexpectedly break or anything. SO

2) Im thinking about saving for just a basic complete 8.8 bolt in from ECGS with 4.56 gears. Then I would just have to have the money to take it to get it installed and at the same time have my front D30 regeared to 4.56 as well.

Is that right or am I off? With a D30 front 8.8 rear 33" tires and 4.56 gears would I be all set and good to go? Or does the d30 need work for 4.56?

Thanks for the help :)

I didn't see what size engine you have? If you've got the 4 banger like I do, and you're planning on regearing anyways, go 4:88 gears front and rear for 33's. If you've got the 6 cyl, 4:56 will work awesome! I'm running 4:88 with my 35's and a 4 cyl, and it's ok around town, but on the highway it just isn't enough gear. Should work pretty well with 33's though.

JeepForever 08-12-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necromancer_tat (Post 1464732)
I didn't see what size engine you have? If you've got the 4 banger like I do, and you're planning on regearing anyways, go 4:88 gears front and rear for 33's. If you've got the 6 cyl, 4:56 will work awesome! I'm running 4:88 with my 35's and a 4 cyl, and it's ok around town, but on the highway it just isn't enough gear. Should work pretty well with 33's though.

Yeah i've got the 6-cyl and am gonna be staying with 33's for a while. I really want the 4.56s cause my 3.07s just don't cut it unless the road is COMPLETELY flat haha

necromancer_tat 08-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepForever (Post 1464771)
Yeah i've got the 6-cyl and am gonna be staying with 33's for a while. I really want the 4.56s cause my 3.07s just don't cut it unless the road is COMPLETELY flat haha

You should be alright with the 456 gears then, should be just about perfect for the 6 cyl :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.