Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Dual Top or buy an aftermarket Soft Top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/dual-top-or-buy-an-aftermarket-soft-top-107288.html)

stithb 08-13-2011 09:29 AM

Dual Top or buy an aftermarket Soft Top?
 
I am about to order a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and am trying to decide if I should get the factory Dual top or buy a aftermarket soft top amongst a few other decisions. I know we don't know much about the 2012 yet; but have seen quite a bit on the 2011 leaking issues with the factory soft top. If aftermarket is better, any suggestions on which one?

Side Note: I am so excited to be on the forum and can't wait to get my new Jeep! I have had the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee; but always wanted a Wrangler. Went the sedan route for a few years; but too little room for the kiddos. The Unlimited answers the question. I am thinking about adding the aftermarket 3rd row too.

Thx,
Bill

InfernoGirl 08-13-2011 11:21 AM

Factory will be the best choice. IMO. Any problems you may encounter will be covered under warranty that way. And honestly, the best after market tops are made by the same folks who make the factory tops, so there will not be a difference between them.

rjk5828 08-14-2011 02:37 PM

Hi Bill,
I bought a 2011 Wangler Rubicon in June. I got the dual tops that came with the vehicle. The Hard Top is GREAT with the 3 piece T tops. ALSO the soft top is a MAJOR improvement from the older models. It is easy to put up and take down. The windows are easy to zip in and seem to fit very well. Yesterday I had her out with the top down and zipped up into the Boot when it started to look like a bad storm was coming. Put the top up quickly and stayed dry. The only thing I noticed was that the passenger side got wet when we open the door to get in the car after the storm. I am thinking that the car may have been parked on uneven ground and when we opened the door, water poured in from the top. will be watching this in future rain storms.
Good Luck with your 2012 Rubicon!

stithb 08-16-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjk5828 (Post 1469262)
Hi Bill,
I bought a 2011 Wangler Rubicon in June. I got the dual tops that came with the vehicle. The Hard Top is GREAT with the 3 piece T tops. ALSO the soft top is a MAJOR improvement from the older models. It is easy to put up and take down. The windows are easy to zip in and seem to fit very well. Yesterday I had her out with the top down and zipped up into the Boot when it started to look like a bad storm was coming. Put the top up quickly and stayed dry. The only thing I noticed was that the passenger side got wet when we open the door to get in the car after the storm. I am thinking that the car may have been parked on uneven ground and when we opened the door, water poured in from the top. will be watching this in future rain storms.
Good Luck with your 2012 Rubicon!

RJK5828,
Thank you for the note. Seems to be the consistent message that the factory soft top is recommended. Do you know if Jeep get's them from Bestop? Do you know how the factory top compares to the Bestop Supertop NX (same thing)?

Best,
Bill

InfernoGirl 08-16-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stithb (Post 1475397)
RJK5828,
Do you know if Jeep get's them from Bestop? Yes. Do you know how the factory top compares to the Bestop Supertop NX (same thing)? Yes.

Best,
Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1466720)
And honestly, the best after market tops are made by the same folks who make the factory tops, so there will not be a difference between them.

;)

rjk5828 08-18-2011 12:50 PM

I have the Factory Tops that came with the Jeep. They are well made but I do not know who manufactures them. I ordered a Best Top Rack and Cover for the Hard Top and Doors and was satisfied with that. I also ordered a BOOT for the Soft Top when it is down. I bought that from Quadratec/ it was made by Rugged Ridge. It is nice and significantly cheaper than Mopar. I also bought a Best Top Duster Cover from Quadratec. It is nice too. These are so much less expensive than Mopar, you really can't go wrong?

stithb 08-21-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1475415)
;)

InfernoGirl,
Thank you! http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif As you said, I found out that Bestop makes both. Seems to be a better price to order aftermarket. Only concern is that they can't guarantee that the top is fully compatible yet with the 2012. Although Bestop says that they believe they are. My 2012 JKUR comes in tomorrow. http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

I am leaning towards the Bestop Supertop NX.

rjk5828 08-22-2011 10:47 AM

I would agree, if Bestop actually makes the MOPAR top that you could order with the jeep, it would be cheaper to buy from Bestop. I bought the Hardtop Storage Rack and Door Rack with the Cover from Best Top. I am very satisfied with how it works. Not too hard to put together, and the canvas cover that protects the hardtop from dust and weather worked well. It also came with a storage pocket to put all the hardware that secures the top so you don't lose them during the summer when you have your top down. I would recommend this to store the top. ALSO get the Rugged Ridge Soft Top Boot. This will protect your soft top when you put it down. It keeps it clean and from flapping in the wind when you are driving. Really Nice. I prefer Quadratec for these after market supplies. Good Prices and they actually have inventory. The other guy backorders everything and it would take months to get the top. I cancelled after waiting one month, and ordered from Quadratec.
Good Luck - Have Fun!!

InfernoGirl 08-22-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stithb (Post 1493827)
InfernoGirl,
Thank you! http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif As you said, I found out that Bestop makes both. Seems to be a better price to order aftermarket. Only concern is that they can't guarantee that the top is fully compatible yet with the 2012. Although Bestop says that they believe they are. My 2012 JKUR comes in tomorrow. http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

I am leaning towards the Bestop Supertop NX.

Depending on what they charge for shipping, the price may or may not be any better than the Dual top group price....

Mr. Chewbacca 11-20-2011 11:49 PM

This may be a silly question but when you select the dual top option on-line the description seems to delete the Sunrider Soft Top and replace it with one described as "easy folding" Can anyone confirm that the soft top included with the dual top option is the same one that comes standard?

I'm sure it is but the on-line wording is odd.

Vin 11-21-2011 12:33 PM

The nice part about the dual top option is both are covered under warrantee. No need to ship back to bestop if something happens.

chop110 11-22-2011 09:47 AM

Nice builder topic!

rjk5828 11-23-2011 01:07 PM

Just Ask?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Chewbacca (Post 1760264)
This may be a silly question but when you select the dual top option on-line the description seems to delete the Sunrider Soft Top and replace it with one described as "easy folding" Can anyone confirm that the soft top included with the dual top option is the same one that comes standard?

I'm sure it is but the on-line wording is odd.

My Rubi came with two tops. I assume that it is the same soft top you would get if you only ordered the soft top. The Sun-Rider? But it is not clear to me. In the Manual, it looks like it is a Sun-Rider. In the summer, I either take the top all the way off, or I leave it on. I have not tried to have a t-top style open soft top? I would rather take the top down.

The hard top as two t-tops in front, and I have removed them and I like that feature. Whether you are ordering from Quadratech or Mopar, I would ask them to explain the difference. I found the customer service or the dealer to be knowledgeable and helpful. :cool:

Mr. Chewbacca 11-24-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjk5828 (Post 1766842)
My Rubi came with two tops. I assume that it is the same soft top you would get if you only ordered the soft top. The Sun-Rider? But it is not clear to me. In the Manual, it looks like it is a Sun-Rider. In the summer, I either take the top all the way off, or I leave it on. I have not tried to have a t-top style open soft top? I would rather take the top down.

The hard top as two t-tops in front, and I have removed them and I like that feature. Whether you are ordering from Quadratech or Mopar, I would ask them to explain the difference. I found the customer service or the dealer to be knowledgeable and helpful. :cool:

Thanks for the reply. I checked with the dealer and it looks like its the same top.. wow the dual top option is a lot cheaper than aftermarket.

I doubt I'll use the hard top much outside of winter. Should last as long as I keep the jeep if I take care of it.

spinmove29 11-27-2011 03:03 PM

I had the same issue, but I decided on just getting the soft top. Dealer said if you get hard top and want an aftermarket soft top, they need to prep the vehicle for the soft top before you can 'just get one'. Said something about drilling (holes?). Who knows.

italianzero 11-27-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1466720)
Factory will be the best choice. IMO. Any problems you may encounter will be covered under warranty that way. And honestly, the best after market tops are made by the same folks who make the factory tops, so there will not be a difference between them.

Agreed, I bought an aftermarket top and it just never quite worked properly. Problem after problem.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.