Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ Bikini Top Install for new folks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-bikini-top-install-for-new-folks-107567.html)

Timefx1 08-14-2011 10:48 PM

TJ Bikini Top Install for new folks

Two things you should do when you're about to install a new bikini top and header bar.
#1 most important is 'hold the no drill header in place and tighten it carefully so as not to strip the nut.
#2 the second most important thing is to attach all the straps on the top kind of semi loose and then and only then start attaching the bikini top to the header. You have to have resistance from the back to insert the plastic into the header bar.

I spent an hour and a half cussing Bestop for the header bar and Rugged Ridge for the bikini top. Once I walked away and cooled off I came here and then Youtubed it and watched it done. Needless to secind my second shot took 30 minutes and I have a great looking bikini top to keep the sun off my head. Thanks for all the great posts, I may have put the hardtop back on had it not been for this forum.s great advice.

TheDirtyGeneral 08-15-2011 12:55 AM

You should link said YouTube video...

But I found it anyway lol

How to Install a Bestop Bikini Jeep Top on a TJ Wrangler - YouTube

Powertrip 08-15-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timefx1 (Post 1471187)
Two things you should do when you're about to install a new bikini top and header bar.
#1 most important is 'hold the no drill header in place and tighten it carefully so as not to strip the nut.
#2 the second most important thing is to attach all the straps on the top kind of semi loose and then and only then start attaching the bikini top to the header. You have to have resistance from the back to insert the plastic into the header bar.

I spent an hour and a half cussing Bestop for the header bar and Rugged Ridge for the bikini top. Once I walked away and cooled off I came here and then Youtubed it and watched it done. Needless to secind my second shot took 30 minutes and I have a great looking bikini top to keep the sun off my head. Thanks for all the great posts, I may have put the hardtop back on had it not been for this forum.s great advice.

Well said!! I had the same issue the first time I put my bikini top on. It was VERY frustrating trying to get the lip of the bikini top to stay in the channel of the header. I stepped back, drank a beer, and then decided to loosely attach the straps first. Worked much better!

daynestj 08-15-2011 08:03 AM

Went through the same thing last weekend with mine. Biggest help was letting it set in the sun to loosen up as the rigid plastic lip looked like a roller coaster and wasn't staying in at all.

Timefx1 08-16-2011 01:07 AM

Nice link to a video that cost me an hour or two of frustration.

Beachcomber 08-16-2011 05:55 AM

I have yet to be able to install mine. I will give it a try again this weekend. Thanks for the link.