Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Jeep Flares 97 (

jeepwrangler97 08-20-2011 06:42 AM

Jeep Flares 97
Been looking around and no one knows what the flip I am talking about, but here it goes. I bought a 97 wrangler tj Se and the dude before me treated it worse than I treated my bike when I was 10. Anyways the back two flares were torn off and I bought stock ones to replace the empty space, added bonus it looks a lot better with flares now. Only problem is I can't get the front bolt in on either side of the jeep. It is supposed to bolted close to the doors, but it is in the frame. I can't go under, above, behind, around, ect, it is all blocked by the frame. Can't reuse the old bolts since one side was missing and the other rusted and bent to hell. How can I bolt the front of the flares into the body w/o cutting or paying 50$ for some auto shop to do it in 5 mins. Also the nuts and bolts I bought with the flares did not come with anything I can just shove into a hole and lock. Thank you in advance this is my first jeep, always loved them, and I will figure it all out bit by bit.

jeepwrangler97 08-20-2011 06:46 AM

Crap as I looked on another page just now I saw what I was looking for, Hopefully
Well Nuts For Signicade, Plasticade Signs - Neoplex will work, only prob is the guy used them on rubicon flares not stock. Stock flares are covering my tires just fine and AZ is more concerned with emissions than the east coast, heard they were extremely strict.

yoopone 08-20-2011 06:53 AM

I got real good at fixing that issue on my 97. Those things you thread the bolts into are called nutserts. I had to replace everone of them on mine, all were shot. It is kind of like putting in a rivet. You do need the right tool to do it though. Simply drill the old nutsert out and press in a new one. I think Quadratec sells the tool then I found a vendor on here to sell me the nutserts. I just searched on "nutsert".

Wesboy 08-20-2011 10:30 AM

Here's some part numbers for those nutserts I found on another thread.

OEM 6504601
Rugged Ridge 11603.1

jeepwrangler97 08-21-2011 02:08 AM

thank you I will definitely give it a try

GrassKicker 08-21-2011 09:31 PM

Try a BODY SHOP around your area. You have to have a special tool to install nutserts, I went and had 5 installed. I think they are 5mm nutserts. Good luck!

jeepwrangler97 02-17-2013 02:47 AM

For anyone that comes across this, I just used the screw and little plastic block for most of the holes (I believe this was sold separately, but they did not look like the right parts) and for the difficult last hole towards the doors, I used a long bolt so I could leave it in there sticking out from the frame then I put the bolt through the flare and stuck a nut on bolt. I say this because the last bolt was a pain. I could not keep a screw or anything there while I tightened. The hole closest to the door that is used to attach the flare is difficult to get behind, because the frame surrounds the entire area. There were two holes though for the flare, one was factory and the other was carved out by someone, that helped a little by letting my finger and the long bolt get in behind the hole. Now when I say behind the hole I mean within the frame pointing outside. Not trying to sound retarded, but attaching the flare was a pain in the a$$. I think there is a spring nut but no one knew what the heck I was talking about online or at the shop, this was easier.

MIZFAN 02-17-2013 07:57 AM

I used rivnuts when I replaced the flares on my 97.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.