Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Lock Rubicon Diff's in High Range? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/lock-rubicon-diffs-in-high-range-108558.html)

Phaedrus 08-20-2011 10:05 PM

Lock Rubicon Diff's in High Range?
 
I had a non-jeep owner tell me that there is a way to rig a Rubicon so that the diff's can be locked in high range. Has anyone done this? For the kind of wheeling I do, on muddy forest roads and in deep snow, I think low range would be too slow in the Rubi. What is top speed in low range (4:10 gears) in a 2012 Rubi with the new 5 speed automatic? I'm thinking I'd like to be able to lock the diff's in high range.

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 08-20-2011 10:08 PM

Yes and no. Stock form you cannot do it in high range. With a chip or tuner it will let you do it. No word on when the 2012 compliant chips will be here though.

MTH 08-20-2011 10:36 PM

^^Correct.

That said, if you can go fast enough for 4H, you don't need the lockers.

Top 4L speed? I forget--it's in the manual though--15 to 20 mph comes to mind for some reason. Someone may correct me on that.

Assuming it's about right, if you can bounce along at over 20 mph you don't need lockers. Just my two cents.

off a cough 08-21-2011 12:11 AM

This kind of mod was simply shorting/jumping a few wires in the TJ Rubicon's locker switch. I take it this is controlled strictly by the canbus in the JKs?

2011_Rubicon 08-21-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1492774)
^^Correct.

That said, if you can go fast enough for 4H, you don't need the lockers.

Top 4L speed? I forget--it's in the manual though--15 to 20 mph comes to mind for some reason. Someone may correct me on that.

Assuming it's about right, if you can bounce along at over 20 mph you don't need lockers. Just my two cents.

I believe you are right on this. I think I remember reading 18 mph in the manual.

wanderlust 08-21-2011 08:16 AM

time to pour over wiring schematics.. hahha, i want the rear to lock when i want it, not when jeep thinks i need it

JIMBOX 08-21-2011 08:55 AM

:whistling: google "Rubicon Lockers in 4hi"

All the info ya need-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

gryph 08-21-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1492774)
^^Correct.

That said, if you can go fast enough for 4H, you don't need the lockers.

If you do any wheeling on sand, this could be very helpful

Phaedrus 08-21-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1493409)
:whistling: google "Rubicon Lockers in 4hi"

All the info ya need-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO


Thanks! I should have thought of that first :facepalm: There is lots of discussion out there on reasons why to do this mod, and even more on how. Sounds like it was an easy mod on the TJ. Not so easy on the JK, and with many possible compromises to other on-board computer functions.

JIMBOX 08-21-2011 10:39 AM

:whistling: I think either the super chip, or Diablo have an option for changing the locker "MODE"--


Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus (Post 1493563)
Thanks! I should have thought of that first :facepalm: There is lots of discussion out there on reasons why to do this mod, and even more on how. Sounds like it was an easy mod on the TJ. Not so easy on the JK, and with many possible compromises to other on-board computer functions.

I don't need mine any different--

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

kjeeper10 08-21-2011 02:40 PM

Rubicon owners forum has it sticky'd too :)

I'm still trying to understand the benefits.

dhamilton83 08-21-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1493584)
:whistling: I think either the super chip, or Diablo have an option for changing the locker "MODE"--




I don't need mine any different--

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Super chip does allow you to lock the rubicon lockers in 4hi

kjeeper10 08-21-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhamilton83

Super chip does allow you to lock the rubicon lockers in 4hi

It does but... It has to be plugged in to work :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.