Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Maryland Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/)
-   -   Places to go 4wheelin (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/places-to-go-4wheelin-108679.html)

4wheelin 08-21-2011 06:35 PM

Places to go 4wheelin

I hear that MD doesn't have much for legal 4wheeling, so I have been looking around, and came across this link from the DNR of MD. Probably old information for you seasoned folks, but helpful for newbies like me.

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

:thumb:

Serge627 10-30-2011 05:31 PM

Good link, saved it to my favorites.

RattleHead 11-05-2011 05:28 PM

thanks for posting guess i will be giving MD more of my hard earned money....

htkrph 11-06-2011 03:35 PM

so they do have ORV trails in MD. definitely registering. I will be stationed here for another 2 yrs so might as well and help out!

Wolfeitz 11-07-2011 12:42 PM

>Vehicles registered/titled with the MVA (considered street legal) are exempt from purchasing the off-road vehicle permit when using DNR public lands.

BeachBill 11-13-2011 08:20 PM

The Assateague National Seashore has about 15 miles of OSV (Over Sand Vehicle) access. I'm headed down there tomorrow to get an annual access permit ($65 or so).

See this page for more info. Assateague Island National Seashore - Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) Use (U.S. National Park Service)

4wheelin 11-14-2011 07:36 PM

I went there once about 35 years ago. We had a borrowed Ford Bronco. I remember having to carry all kinds of things (shovel, jack, 2x8x6) in case we got stuck. My dad was rather adventurous and we eventually got suck. Dug in to the hub. Spent quite a while trying to dig out until someone came along and pulled us out.

This was late spring/early summer. I remember the damn sand fleas and horse flies too.

Hope you have fun out there. If you learn of the requirements for traveling out on the sand, can you post them here for others to learn from?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachBill (Post 1742584)
The Assateague National Seashore has about 15 miles of OSV (Over Sand Vehicle) access. I'm headed down there tomorrow to get an annual access permit ($65 or so).

See this page for more info. Assateague Island National Seashore - Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) Use (U.S. National Park Service)

Colin 11-18-2011 10:14 PM

I go there alot to go camping and surfing in the summer. I ended up getting stuck once though but that was when I attempted to drive out there without deflating my tires any and only in two wheel drive lol. Surprisingly made it all the way out to the very opening but then back tires dug in way too far. But found this off there site for the required things needed.
OSV operators in designated zone must carry the following equipment:
- A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
- A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
- A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1" hardwood.
- A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less.
- A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long. Minimum diameter is " for nylon or Dacron ropes; " for all other ropes; " for carbon steel cable; 5/8" for chain links